Favorite grain preparation method? Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Fungi Forum / Misc. Noteworthy threads Favorite grain preparation method? Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

. (Acheron)
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 09:04 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey ya'll, about a week ago I prepared some quart jars of rye. I presoaked the rye for 24 hrs, then I simmered them on very low heat until some started popping('bout 45 min). I then strained, rinsed, and drained them, then loaded into quarts and pressure cooked @ 15 psi for an hour and 15 min. When they came out, alot of grains were popped, but the jars seemed dry, and they shook very easily, even though the rye berries were pretty swelled up. I innoculated, and growth seems OK, but I'm curious how ya'll do it?
What's your favorite method?

-Do you just load an amount of grain and water and cook? simmer? presoak?

-How do you tell if the grain has the perfect amount of water? I'm sure they should be swelled, but should the come out looking wet? mine looked dry and shook very easily. Did i cook for too long?

-Are there any differences in preparing birdseed compared to rye? I just picked up some white millet parakeet seed from walmart.

Sorry about the questions, but I really like this bulk grain stuff, and I wanna make sure I'm getting it right. Thanks!

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 11:55 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you most certainly want to avoid popped kernels, the resulting starch poured out is prone to bacteria and slows mycellial growth to a crawl, usually resulting in lost jars.
otherwise, the way you mention doing it is my favorite method,
although if i'm in a hurry i've been known to just load 175 grams of rye into a quart jar and pour in 200 ml/grams of water and pc 75-120 minutes.
rye does appear to be fairly dry even when properly done, so you just need to simmer it 30 minutes or so and then remove it from the heat and rinse well. if you see grains popping you've already over-done it a bit and need to drain it ASAP.
Lots of different seeds will work well, millet is good, as is wheat.
my only problem is with mixed birdseed, because different types of seed absorb water at different rates, complicating things a bit.
bottom line is to pick one you have easy access to, then stick with it long enough to get it down.

who whomever (Captiveball)
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 04:47 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

with the seed i just let it soak overnight, strain and them put in a quart jar with about a quarter to half an inch of water and PC for about an hour to an hour and a half...

works fine for me, grain to grain complete colonization in a week and a half, now thats sweet.

Acheron (Acheron)
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 10:04 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool guys, thanks. I'm sure I'll get it down after a few batches, I think the trick to the simmering is to be able to tell just when it has the max water content before popping, then straining, and PC'ing. I think I'll try an hour or 45min pressure cook, mabey it won't seem so dry then. I'll try your method with the birdseed captive (btw, the seed is all white millet with a few wheat grains here and there, is that OK, i couldn't find one with the red millet too). week and a half colonization, that is sweet...

who whomever (Captiveball)
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 03:00 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yea your seeds sound good millet is what its all about. i just think the sunflower seeds suck but they float making them easy to skim off.

and i should say its not my method i picked it up from some tek somewhere along the way.

be sure to shake right after de pressurizing it makes it easier to break up any clumps (and there will be a big one at the bottom)

Visions (Visions)
Posted on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 02:14 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use Hard Winter Wheat Berries (59cents/lb)

Put into a pot...Cover completely with water...Bring temp 160*-180*...Cover...turn off heat...let soak 24hrs...

Rinse well...Drain well...PC @15lbs for 75min...take out of PC as soon as pressure hit zero...Shake it up

You're better off having your grains a little dry than a little too wet...

I also have 3/4" holes in my lids...I use polyfil and Filtrete Ultra Microfilters $15(Home Depot...Furnace filters...Cut into little sq and tape over holes...You'll get 300-500 from 1 20"X25" filter...they filter down to .3microns...you can use them over and over again)...I mount a 20"X20" Filtrete Ultra Microfilter onto a 20" box fan to filter air in my grow room...

Acheron (Acheron)
Posted on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 03:38 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks visions, I think I'll give that a try. Will that work with rye too in case I can't find winter wheat berries? Will they still colonize ok if they are a bit dry. Some of my rye jars looked pretty dry, the grains didn't even clump together, although they were all plumped up. I put 5cc's of sterile water into the few that looked dry. They seem to all be doing well now.
Quick question, if you can visibly see moisture (grains look wet when they stick to the glass), is that too much?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 02:57 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they should look like this-

Acheron (Acheron)
Posted on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 07:20 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A picture is worth a thousand words

Nan (Nanook)
Posted on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 10:48 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Relic's photos from the Pro's thread on Rye

Where is Relic anyway??? That was one of my favorite threads on grain. It deserves to be reposted in it's entirity and rearchived.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, October 25, 2002 - 11:37 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

relic's on vacation.
he's popped in a few times, but not for awhile.
i miss him too, we go way back.

the thread is still in our archives, thankfully.

we could add this thread to it as archive material since so many have contributed so far.

Nan (Nanook)
Posted on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 05:07 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey you are right part of it is there ;)

Need a Pro's Help

relic (Relic)
Posted on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 10:25 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

awe hippie, thanks man...

i've had a whole shitload(bigtime) of personal upheaval going on in my life over the last few months. it's way too long of a story to post here now. but it's all working out like i never thought it could and my oldest and dearest dreams are becomming a reality.

i miss you all too

i'll be posting here before long to give away some stuff i have no need for anymore. i will always love the psychedelic experience, but at this point in my life i have soo many other things to do. like the song and proverb, there is a season for everything. following my heart and feeling like the luckiest man alive :)
i would like to still participate at some point when it's time to settle in for a spell. probably next summer or fall. when i'm back around here or nearby. hope everyone is well. i'm sorry for ever being a closed minded prick, i know i am more than capable in that regard from time to time. i love this place and i love you guys. i wish you all the best until we meet again.

-relic

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 01:26 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow.
speak of the devil, and voila!
very cool to hear from you,
sounds like you're in love.
best wishes, until next time.
pax

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: