My new grow setup Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive » Archive » Non Cubie Shrooms » My new grow setup « Previous Next »

Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

brainbreath (Newbie3)
Intermediate Member
Username: Newbie3

Post Number: 77
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 04:56 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the result of the last 6-8 weeks of my life:
Upload
Upload
The overall building size is 10'x50', 10' at the peak. Inside it's divided into two rooms, 10' of the length is dedicated to incubation and the rest is for fruiting. The first pic is the front door, which enters into the fruiting room. The backdoor enters into the incubation room, mounted above the door is the fan for fresh air exchange.

Upload
These are the inlets from the fan, seen from inside the incubation room. The inlet for the incubation room has a plate in the duct with a 1 1/2" hole for fresh air, for the most part the air is just being recirculated. On the right you can see the duct running to the fruiting room, which leads to this
Upload
I made mixing boxes for both rooms from 8" galvanized tees and a damper the same size. The hose coming in the side is from the fogger. The duct fan helps to draw the fog up, as well as giving the air coming from outside a boost.
Upload

"Just because you’re paranoid
Don’t mean they’re not after you" Kurt Cobain

Cutty (Cutty)
Intermediate Member
Username: Cutty

Post Number: 77
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 05:00 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lookin good...wanna make one at my house!!!
There's a method to my madness.

brainbreath (Newbie3)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 78
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 05:16 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Upload
This is the dividing wall for the two rooms
Upload
Seen from the backdoor
Upload
from the front door
Upload
fogger
Upload
The inside view of the fogger in the fruiting room. It's a 3 disc fogger from mainland mart, the bucket is kept filled by a float valve from us plastic. The incubation room is setup the same, except the fogger is a 5 disc

Python (Python)
Username: Python

Post Number: 856
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 05:43 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

..................damn, your talking about growing some shit there..........
The substance provides continuous high, i'll give you one free, for every five you buy......

nelso (Nelso)
Username: Nelso

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 05:49 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

very nice what about your drying chamber and pasteurizer, must be huge

brainbreath (Newbie3)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 79
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 05:58 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pins, P. djamor. 12 of the columns are pinks, 17 are P. ostreatus
Upload
pics of the drainfield, which is still unfinished. There are 2 drains in the fruiting room and one in the incubation room on 2" pvc, all teed in the middle to the pit. The hole measures 4'x8'x4'deep. It's filled with 2' of sand, next will be 2' of gravel with perforated drainpipe running through it teed off the pvc.
Upload
Upload
This is what I use to shred the straw. In order to get it shredded fine enough(1-3" pieces) it has to be run through twice. It makes pretty quick work of it though, I can shred 7-10 bales an hour with it
Upload
Straw being pasteurized, I fill the tanks about 1/3 of the way with water and heat it til it hits about 180° then start filling it with straw, packing it down with a tamper. I pack the straw dry until the water stops reaching the top of the straw when I pack it down, then prewet the straw that's added to the tank after that. It's packed as tight as possible then covered with some weight added for a decent seal. The top inch of straw usually reaches 170° within 20-30 mins. The heat is then reduced, and 170°-180° is maintained for 2 hours.
Upload
I will be making columns in the morning, I'll get pictures and update the rest of the process with pics.

brainbreath (Newbie3)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 80
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 06:06 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no drying chamber, their sold fresh.
Only edibles, Oysters.
I'd be a complete fool to even contemplate growing actives, it's a small town, everybody knows what I'm doing.

(Message edited by newbie3 on August 27, 2004)

(Message edited by newbie3 on August 27, 2004)

nelso (Nelso)
Username: Nelso

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 06:41 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol my fault

mycolord (Mycolord)
Username: Mycolord

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 01:55 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

now THAT is one serious setup right there
very impressive
good luck
-unto them i offered a place to grow, and unto me they bestowed a truthful vision-

Ferry (Spacecake)
Username: Spacecake

Post Number: 211
Posted on Friday, August 27, 2004 - 04:31 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Area 51 !!!
First time I see such a big setup like that !
Very very nice indeed !

BEARPAW (Bearpaw)
Username: Bearpaw

Post Number: 12
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 02:08 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jesus i thought that this was a real grow op I was like this guys got more balls than brains... NICELY DONE

Joe Dirt (Davros)
Username: Davros

Post Number: 183
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 01:20 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

very impressive!

Troutlips (Troutlips)
Intermediate Member
Username: Troutlips

Post Number: 64
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 04:19 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Indeed, very impressive!
Looks expensive though.Any estimate on how much you've spent so far?
Also,how long did this extensive construction take you to build?
Glad I didn't have to dig that ditch!!!

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 25366
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 04:59 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

far-out.
making any decent $$ of it ?
what's a pound fresh sell for ?
archive material

Namaste

I_am_me (I_am_me)
Username: I_am_me

Post Number: 2428
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 05:09 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very very cool. I like to see people do what they put their minds to and that was quite a project! Way to go!

"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds."

fucgubarn fucgubarnov (Fucgubarn)
Username: Fucgubarn

Post Number: 357
Posted on Saturday, August 28, 2004 - 06:20 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is super!!
would like to know how do you keep your temps up when it gets cold?
and what is under the nylon on the floor? just ground?
and would it be better to build more grow rooms,even small but many,
so one fruits today,the other after 3-4 days etc.
so you have some kind of a cycle and always fresh mushrooms for the market?
thanks

brainbreath (Newbie3)
Advanced Member

Post Number: 81
Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 06:58 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks all
Making ok money, but it is barely paying the bills at this point. The other growroom I had wasn't very efficient, I think it had to do with the hape and size of it, controlling the temps/humidity, etc. was very difficult.
This grow is gonna make all the difference though
This growroom cost about $1700 and 6-8 weeks to build. I have had some construction project going on since last Oct, and overall I am about $20000 in the hole on the business.
I get $8-10 a lb for them.
The foundation for the building is treated 4x4s with treated 2x4s nailed on top to hold the frame together and in place, I then filled that frame with sand and packed it down(no concrete makes it a temporary building=no permits)There are 3 layers of plastic sheeting on top of that. Holes were drilled 1 1/2 inch into the wood for the upright supports, then they were bolted down from the side.
I don't plan to use it once the temps drop, it's a temporary structure to get me through till the permanent growroom is done, gotta have sales...
This grow will have a constant rotation, no need for multiple growrooms. Enough columns to fill a 10' section will be made at a time, then place in the incubation room, the incubated columns in the room will be moved to the fruiting room, and the spent columns at the opposite end removed.

Back to the process, after the straw has been pasteurized for 1-2 hours the tanks are drained and the straw dumped on a tarp and spread out to cool.
Upload
Meanwhile the spawn is crumbled to the point it is nearly seperated to individual grains
Upload
Then spawn is spread by hand as evenly as possible across the straw.
Upload
I didn't get pictures of the rest of the process, but after the spawn is mixed with the straw the mix is packed by hand into polytubing. When the bag is fairly well filled, it's packed down by sort of bouncing the bag on the ground, then filled more, packed etc. till it's filled to capacity. For ease of handling I like to keep them at about 5' tall. Once filled the columns are moved to the growroom and suspended about 1/2" off of the floor and held in place with wire. In under a minute the columns settle to the point they are resting on the floor. After about an hour holes are punched, I have a board with about 6 arrowheads on it for punching the holes, forgot to get a pic.
After that they are left to incubate, which usually takes 5-6 days.

Upload
Upload

mycolord (Mycolord)
Username: Mycolord

Post Number: 131
Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 07:14 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

very nice...one step back to go two steps forward..all new businesses take an initial loss...itll pan out fast watch!
-unto them i offered a place to grow, and unto me they bestowed a truthful vision-

brainbreath (Newbie3)
Advanced Member

Post Number: 82
Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 07:17 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All I have fruiting at te moment is pink oysters, the regular oysters are lagging behind a bit...
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

logic pill (Logicpill)
Username: Logicpill

Post Number: 325
Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 08:37 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very, very neat.

Do you not have a problem with the moisture going to the bottom of the hanging logs though?
Free iPod, Free FlatScreen, or \newurl(http://www.FreeDesktopPC.com/default.aspx?referer=8450822,Free Desktop PC)!!!

dude (Thedude65)
Intermediate Member
Username: Thedude65

Post Number: 75
Posted on Sunday, August 29, 2004 - 10:01 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do the mushrooms bust thier way through the plastic?
Is that what I am seeing?

How clean do you have to be, compared to cubie growing?

brainbreath (Newbie3)
Advanced Member

Post Number: 84
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 02:18 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No problem with moisture loss, the humidifier keeps things pretty moist. Another thing is the columns are hosed down between flushes, it helps to hydrate the columns, although it's mainly to keep things clean.

They are growing from where the holes were punched. Here's my hole puncher:

Upload
Upload

Basic cleanliness is all that is needed. I hose things down twice a day with plain water, once a week I spray the walls and floor down with bleach then hose it down. The entire process of making the columns is extremely unsterile, as long as the spawn is vigorous and pasteurization is done properly it isn't a problem. I've only lost 2 columns the entire time I've been doing this, even then it was because of bad spawn.

dude (Thedude65)
Intermediate Member
Username: Thedude65

Post Number: 76
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 02:44 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats all realy cool. Looks liek somthing I would like to try..... well in a few years.

Regarding the soft plasic sides of the shed; What happens when there is a super windy storm?

Duke X (Dukex)
Username: Dukex

Post Number: 344
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 02:51 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about the winter months ?

Peace...
"I’ll try to be around and about. But if I’m not, then you know that I’m behind your eyelids, and I’ll meet you there." Terence Mckenna - Kona, September 1999

brainbreath (Newbie3)
Advanced Member

Post Number: 85
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 03:22 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't had any problems with wind, it's pretty well inflated by the fan, storms passed through with 45-50 mph gusts yesterday. I was worried that it might be a problem but it doesn't seem like it will be.
I don't plan to run it through the winter, it's a temporary structure to get me through till I have a permanent building up. We're in the process of purchasing a house with 5 acres, it'll be about a month before we can get in and start building though. I'm hoping the really bad weather will hold off till mid-November so we can get in and build. As long as the temps are above 35-40 at night cold won't be a major problem. Snow would be a problem though because the frame isn't strong enough to support it.

Suckerfree (Suckerfree)
Username: Suckerfree

Post Number: 1926
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 03:26 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I get $8-10 a lb for them.

How many pounds you produce?

Great job snapping photo's...

Python (Python)
Username: Python

Post Number: 871
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 03:53 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hella nice work friend..............
The substance provides continuous high, i'll give you one free, for every five you buy......

Dustofangels (Dustofangels)
Username: Dustofangels

Post Number: 123
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 04:42 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW!!!
MAJORLY impressed!!!

Hope everything works out well.

Is there much money in growing edibles?
I've often thought of doing that and then selling
them to Gourmet Food stores in my area.
I hear they're always willing to buy mushrooms.
2+2=5

Cutty (Cutty)
Advanced Member
Username: Cutty

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, August 30, 2004 - 05:20 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amazing job, You'll do well !!
best wishes

There's a method to my madness.

faht (Fahtphish)
Username: Fahtphish

Post Number: 1603
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 09:10 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

too cool!!!! i like how the pink ones look, just beautiful. :-) amazing

fahtster
Yo. :-)

Roc (Rochester)
Username: Rochester

Post Number: 2019
Posted on Tuesday, August 31, 2004 - 09:59 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for sharing!

Roc

brainbreath (Newbie3)
Advanced Member

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, September 01, 2004 - 03:11 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks all
So far I have somewhere between 500 & 600 lbs that have been sold, and probably close to 150 lbs that were either eaten, dehydrated or trashed.
Here's some of the first harvest, these are the fruits seen above, I've picked 28 lbs so far
Upload
Upload
Upload

Juan Del Pueblo (Papashroom)
Username: Papashroom

Post Number: 158
Posted on Friday, September 03, 2004 - 02:14 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They look fkn great!They look like strawberry marshmellows. Yum...
Hippie3 for pres club!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: