3-Liter Bottle Tek Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Fungi Forum / Misc. Noteworthy threads 3-Liter Bottle Tek Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Dan (Stealthygrowr)
Posted on Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 05:05 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Think about this. You don't need a Richman's terrarium, or any kind of obvious growing equipment. If you have problems with people seeing your experiments and harvesting procedure, keep it on the d/l, like I did. Here's your strategy:

-buy 1 Walmart lockable trunk
-get a shoebox, newer is more preferable, save the dessicant pouches
-obtain tweezers and small scissors (I found some in my bathroom kit bag!)
-buy a light, flourescent is preferable because it gives off less heat than incandescent
-attach light to the inside lid of the trunk (this was a hastle for me because the roof of the trunk had plastic bridges running the width of the trunk spaced about 5 inches apart...CUT them down with sharp scissors)
-my trunk's dimensions are about 2.5 feet long, 1.5 feet wide and tall, so next install a plastic screen (Home Depot) running the width of the trunk saving about a 4-6 inch area on one of the sides (don't install the screen lengthwise but rather put it so that it saves space for the cakes)
-pour perlite into the trunk (not in the small part you have partitioned off by use of the screen, this will be your watering area)
-after using the PF method with 1/2 pint jars, upon seeing pinning load these jars into the trunk...i have set up a temp/humidity gauge which definitely works

Now for the addition:

If you don't feel like maintaining your trunk, just install the light (not the screen or perlite)

Next, buy as many 3-Liter bottles as the amount of cakes that it looks like you will be birthing

Looking at the 3-liter bottle, see where it begins to curve up to the cap. Cut the bottle horizontally about 1 inch under the label, and put masking tape around the lip of the top section that you have just cut...now remove the cap of the bottle and push the top section into the bottom half and attach the cap...you have now created an airtight environment that WILL hold humidity.

Soak the perlite, allowing excess water to drain, and load 2-3 inches in each bottle, after that put 1 cake in each bottle and put them into your storage container. These cakes will not need to be sprayed with water in their entire life cycle.

However, make sure to open these once a day to air them out.

Put as many of them as can fit into your trunk, and run the light anywhere from 8-16 hours a day.

To dry the shrooms, put them into your shoebox on top of a paper towel with dessicant underneath. Come back to these after a couple days and turn them over so moisture can evaporate off the underside of the fruit.

Altogether, 3-Liter bottles are a great, fairly low maintenance (no watering) method, and some guys I know used it last year with PF spores and yielded 1/2 pound with 20 cakes.

Peace.

Dan (Stealthygrowr)
Posted on Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 05:12 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I forgot to add that while some would not recommend putting a light inside your container because it produces too much heat, I found that since I keep my trunk in a constant 66 degree room with AC, i could turn it on for 6 hours at a time and the temp would jump 10 degrees in that time. One time I left it on for 10 hours and the temp got to 82 or so...not too bad.

Dan (Stealthygrowr)
Posted on Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 05:19 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, I forgot again. Drape a sheet, preferably dark colored, over your trunk. Put stuff on top, like a lamp or somethin. Nobody will be able to discern it from a regular table. Also, the fact that you have it locked adds extra security. I have mine right next to my bed, with the cord of the light going behind my headboard. So inconspicuous....

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 05:25 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great stuff, i love when we get more stealth stuff, definite archive material.
very ingenious solution to the problem.
i imagine string or led lights would also work, quarts instead of 3-liters as in chronic's tek,
etc. lots of ways to improvise upon your ideas.
thx

Malformed (Malformed)
Posted on Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 05:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

highspeedpc.com

they have cold cathode lights, fans, all sorts of usefull stuff.

Dan (Stealthygrowr)
Posted on Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 09:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I think a fan would cause evaporated moisture to leave the container, since it's not airtight. I just checked it, and right now 2 of my cakes are starting first flush, the other three were late bloomers so i dunked them. Hope to see results from that soon.

Dan (Stealthygrowr)
Posted on Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 09:41 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Malformed, these cathode rays will help a lot.

Fitch F. Fitch (Fitch)
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 05:53 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great idea, I'm working on quite a few different ways to grow in a college dormitory. When I get a few harvests under my belt Im going to prepare a guide for Dorm Room growing. Growing in your own private residence is a bit different then growing in a college dorm...theres lots of traffic and people coming in and out of rooms, so extra precautions must be taken. Hope to have your archives filled with guerilla growing material in no time!

Undercover Cultivator (Northernharvest)
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 07:50 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Dan, could you specify the type of lock trunk from Wally World? i'm planning on goin' soon and would like to know what to look for. Thanks.
UC

Dr. Cubensis (Shroomzilla)
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 08:05 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

* grin *

Yea... Some of us are * ahem * dedicated in big ways * cough * and have what must seem to be vast amounts of space to use in comparison with what you are working with...

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 02:35 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol
all too true.
but there are lots of folks out there
doing micro-cultivation,
small batches for one person.
and for every grower with an entire room
turned into a myco-laboratory,
there are two or three with just
a shoe-box under their beds.

Dan (Stealthygrowr)
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 05:07 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure, it's a 36 gallon Sterilite container with a lock.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: