Psilocybe mexicana Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Non Cubie Shrooms Psilocybe mexicana Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

bassplar99 (Bassplar99)
Username: Bassplar99

Post Number: 265
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 04:41 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am looking into getting a syringe of Psilocybe mexicana. It is the A strain and I am not sure what opinions everyone has about the strain, and the effects which they have? I am looking at the strain from sporeworks in particular. Any opinions would be welcome.

I plan on spawning to rye grass seed if I do this strain. I could not find a lot of info on parameters in the archives. Thanks everyone.
All right, let's not panic. I'll make the money by selling one of my livers. I can get by with one.

Suckerfree (Suckerfree)
Username: Suckerfree

Post Number: 2016
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 04:55 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/134453. html

http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/2/145090. html

bassplar99 (Bassplar99)

Post Number: 267
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 05:04 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

suckerfree, just out of curiousity, what happened to those jars? Did the grass seed have fungicide? This is my concern, I just got a bag of SCOTT's seed and I am worried it might. Did not see it written on the bag though under ingredients, you would think they would have to list it.
All right, let's not panic. I'll make the money by selling one of my livers. I can get by with one.

Suckerfree (Suckerfree)

Post Number: 2017
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 03:12 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No grass seed was fine, i still have the jars, and i'm bout to break them open soon.
however, mex A doesn't like to germinate on rye grass seed. go figure...
rodger used agar before 'noccing up his grass seed jars, which worked out fine, i 'nocced up 7 jars, and only had 1 germinate.

drwombatt (Drwombatt)
Username: Drwombatt

Post Number: 193
Posted on Thursday, September 16, 2004 - 04:50 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you guys know if this is the same strain timothy leary first tripped on shrooms on?

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 3717
Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 01:28 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You won't be growing mushrooms, you'll be growing sclerotia right in the jar. It's the ultimate invitro tek. I would recommend rye berries over rye grass seed. Hydrate the berries with diluted coffee. Add a pinch of gypsum to each jar. Every quart jar I've opened has yielded half or more of a quart of sclerotia. That is a very good return on the investment! I can vouch for workman's strain. It's a winner.
"Whatever it is, that girl put a spell on me". . .jimi hendrix

bassplar99 (Bassplar99)

Post Number: 271
Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 02:01 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Same proportion of coffee to rye as with the rye grass seed? I saw your pics form your jars, looked very nice.

bassplar99 (Bassplar99)

Post Number: 272
Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 02:07 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess I should ask you Rodger, do you have some exact parameters which you used to produce the mex a grain jars? Like lighting times and all that?

Also, how would you remove sclerotia from the jar? I am very interested, but at the same time this idea of just producing sclerotia is new to me.

And lastly, when you say you innoculated some petri dishes, did you save the rest of the syringe? If you flame sterilize the needle before replacing the cap I would think it should remain sterile.

Thanks Rodger and everyone, you are a huge help.

Post Number: 3723
Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 05:40 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The best results from mex a came from using my normal rye grain tek.

To remove the sclerotia, simply bang the jar against a tire five or six times to break up the grain. Pour it out into a bowl, then sit and separate out the sclerotia from the grain. Be patient doing this. You'll have a ton of 'rocks' that are not much bigger than the rye berries are. You can feel them with your fingers. The rye will be soft and slimy, and the sclerotia will be smooth little rocks.

I only used a few drops from the syringe onto some agar plates. The rest of the syringe was placed for storage into a freezer zip lock bag that was inflated with sterile air from the flow hood. After a month, sclerotia was already forming on the petri dishes. The best sclerotia producing substrain was then used to inoculate a couple of jars. Those were then expanded by grain to grain transfers and grown out. It takes about four months for the sclerotia to reach full size.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 26041
Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 01:27 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

any progress with that jallisco yet, RR ?

Namaste

Strangeland (Waylitjim)
Username: Waylitjim

Post Number: 140
Posted on Friday, September 17, 2004 - 02:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will Psilocybe tampanensis produce sclerotia in the same conditions (Rye Berries/coffee) as Psilocybe mexicana?

Working with Tamp. and Mex A are a refreshing change from cubes, talk about neglect tek, stick in a corner and wait 4 months.
Of all the things I've lost,
I miss my mind the most.

Cobra (Mrcobrabubbles)
Username: Mrcobrabubbles

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 01:14 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Roger Rabbit,curiously,when working with ryeberries following the tek you provided,what if, your ryeberries sprout? I like this tek and will have to try it.Its like the popcorn tek Im more familiar with.Looks like less chance of clumping.

Thanks for your time!
So far, you have been set adrift in the sheltered harbor of my patience.

Post Number: 3733
Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 03:36 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't worked with Tamp yet, so can't speak for it.

I've never had rye berries sprout during the 24 to 48 hour soak.

quote:

any progress with that jallisco yet, RR ?

Funny you should ask hip. I like this strain so far. Seems to be a fast one. This first pic is the original dish, inoculated from that sporeprint 18 days ago.(disregard the date on the dish. That is date of first transfer, seven days after spores were dropped on the agar) You can clearly see dozens of substrains sectoring out from the inoculation point in the center.
Upload

The next picture below is four days after first transfer. You can still see sectoring, but they're farther apart, and easier to see the different substrains as they differentiate. This picture was taken just before the dish was opened up and a very small piece from each substrain transferred into ten new dishes.
Upload

The below picture is from a few days after that. A pure, isolated substrain. No more sectoring. I'll end up with about 30 isolated strains of the Jalisco. The best sclerotia producers will be transferred to rye grain to be grown out.
Upload

The picture below is included as a curiosity. It's from the 'a' strain, not the jalisco. You can clearly see four substrains working together to form a single piece of sclerotia at the five o'clock position on the dish. I've never seen this happen before. This piece of sclerotia will be isolated and transferred to a new petri dish to grow out. It's also only 11 days since the spores were dropped on the agar. This is especially amazing considering the incubation temp has been only in the upper sixties during this time.
Upload

(Message edited by skyypilot on September 18, 2004)

Suckerfree (Suckerfree)

Post Number: 2025
Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 04:05 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rodger, I am harvesting some of my Mex A jars...
How the HELL do you get the grass seed off the stones? they seem to be "together"...?

Post Number: 3734
Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 04:14 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

How the HELL do you get the grass seed off the stones? they seem to be "together"...?

Between your thumb and forefinger. It's labor intensive, but worth it.

Suckerfree (Suckerfree)

Post Number: 2028
Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 04:17 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol, damn.

am i supposed to put in dessicant box or what?

thanks
oh and sorry for jacking your thread bassplar

bassplar99 (Bassplar99)

Post Number: 280
Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 04:32 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rodger, in your opinion, how would you rank the potency of the sclerotia? Not so much to know how potent in comparison to a cubensis, but to know dosage.

Post Number: 3735
Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 05:02 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't dry them, eat them now. They're better fresh. Just leave in the jar until you're hungry, then take it out of the jar and munch. Just eat until you get full..lol.

As for the amount to actually eat, I never use a scale anymore so it's hard to judge. I usually eat three small handfulls about half or less the size of a golfball. Most would consider that a lot, so you might want to do a bit less.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 26071
Posted on Saturday, September 18, 2004 - 01:43 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material

Namaste

bassplar99 (Bassplar99)

Post Number: 293
Posted on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 01:38 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rodger, I would like to pick your brain a little more on this. After looking at some photos of this strain, I noticed I see photos of both sclerotia and fruits. You say you harvest the scelrotia invitro from your quart jars. What I am wondering is how do you reproduce the strain later on? Do you clone from agar? Or do you allow some to fruit and take a print if this is possible? I would think that both would have their advatages and disadvantages. Just wondering what method you excercised.

Post Number: 3764
Posted on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 04:22 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The mex a plate you see above is from prints, taken from the below flush. The jalisco myc above is from a print that was given to me. You can take prints or clone the sclerotia right back onto agar. Eventually, you would want to go back to prints to prevent strain degeneration. I'll always save first generation prints to go back to.

Upload

grasshopper wilkins (Triked)
Username: Triked

Post Number: 743
Posted on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 03:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

anyone ever heard of Elephantos?
mexicana A spores for $12.32, not bad.
http://www.elephantos.com/product_info.php?cPath=79_130_128&products_id=600

(Message edited by triked on September 20, 2004)

(Message edited by admin on October 02, 2004)
"Like I told you, What I said, Steal your face right off your head." -Robert Hunter

Soliver (Soliver)
Username: Soliver

Post Number: 1492
Posted on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 08:43 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I usually eat three small handfulls about half or less the size of a golfball. Most would consider that a lot, so you might want to do a bit less.

OMFG -

The most severe trip I've had in years was from
what I thought was a modest amount of fresh sclerotia, about 3-4g (fresh, mind you).

After eating, I jumped in the shower to clean up, as
is my modus operandi . . . by the time I was finished
hosing off, I had lost track of

1) who I was
2) why I was all wet
3) why I was naked
4) why I couldn't see shit

It took me awhile (minutes, maybe hours?) to figure out that my glasses
were off, probably on a counter somewhere?
Took me probably 1/2 the trip just to find my glasses,
clothes, and a towel.

By then I had re-defined myself anyhow, so the found
items were superfluos (don't need glasses when you can
see through multiple times / dimensions) . . .
When my wife got home from work I was laying on the bed,
barely able to speak - she thought I'd had a stroke
or something.

Mex A sclerotia is great - once it's dry it loses
potency QUICK, as opposed to regular shrooms.
I have to eat 2-4 dry grams of sclerotia just to know that I'm
tripping . . . the distinction between fresh / dry is most unique.

Like Rog said - keep 'em in the jar until you're ready to eat up.
they taste like bitter walnuts - much better than
shrooms, IMO -
I love sclerotia :-)

Suckerfree (Suckerfree)

Post Number: 2041
Posted on Monday, September 20, 2004 - 10:21 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mine have grass seed all mixed in with them. almost impossible to seperate them all.

Post Number: 3773
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 04:15 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol sol. Lightweight.... One of these days I'll have to put a handfull of sclerotia on the scale to see exactly how much I'm doing. I estimate seven to ten grams fresh though.

bassplar99 (Bassplar99)

Post Number: 306
Posted on Tuesday, September 21, 2004 - 04:24 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cannot wait for my Mexican A to come in. You guys got me all excited now.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 26473
Posted on Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 03:09 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a week has passed
how goes it now rodger ?

Namaste

Post Number: 3901
Posted on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 12:10 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Still doing the strain isolation thingie. Not much to report yet. It's interesting how the Jalisco strain forms sclerotia on the agar in concentric rings. It appears to be as prolific a sclerotia producer as the A strain.

The '3' seems to be the best sclerotia producer, with the '1' that was shown a few posts above right after being isolated, a close second. Upload

bassplar99 (Bassplar99)

Post Number: 342
Posted on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 02:09 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you show which section you isolated to get dish three?

Post Number: 3907
Posted on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 03:08 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont' remember. I took ten or twelve isolates that day by just selecting what 'looks good' and transferring it to new dishes. It's as much an intuitive process as a scientific one. Then, simply wait and see what happens. The first four numbers are the date of last transfer. The 0812 was a stoner mistake on my part. All the dishes were inoculated by transfer on Sept 12. They are almost three weeks old. Very impressive sclerotia production imo, for only three weeks.

I have another Jalisco experiment going on where I transferred the first few pieces of sclerotia to form into fresh dishes. They're growing out now. I'll compare results to see if sclerotia transfers or mycelial transfers yields the best strains.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 26503
Posted on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 12:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thx

Namaste

bassplar99 (Bassplar99)

Post Number: 346
Posted on Sunday, October 03, 2004 - 10:55 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great info and pics Rodger. I will stay tuned for future updates.