Archive through October 30, 2002 Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Secrecy & Stealth ; Privacy & Security. Residence Archive through October 30, 2002 Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

fungusmaximus (Fungaloid)
Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 04:39 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True, but I just dont want anyone to get in trouble. Sorry if I was harsh.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 04:45 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

your concern is heartwarming, seriously.
but it's beyond your control.

Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 04:48 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also true, and understood.

Brad (Raze)
Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 04:58 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fungus - I said I WAS growing invitro. Several times.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 05:04 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

now, be nice.
we heard you.
he's just trying to look out for you,
that's the kinda people we are,
we take care of each other.

Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 05:10 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Brad.

Brad (Raze)
Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 06:21 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, you dont have to get all worried for me.
I learned from my mistakes while living at home, my mom was constantly in and out of my room putting away laundry and such.
Of course she knocks and enters (doesnt wait for you to say "Come in") so she had a tendancy to walk in at bad times.
The first big mistake was when I had my terranium open, I causually threw the lid on and pushed it back to its hiding spot. She asked what it was, I just said "Nothing" and continued on with what she had been saying before she paused to ask that.
Another time I had a 60% colonized jar otu in the open (somehow missed it when I was putting them away). She picked it up, examined it and asked what it was. I told her I was growing mold (which is something that someone like me would do, so she accepted that as an excuse).
Then finally one day my dad confronted me about what I was growing, they gave me the whole "trust" speech and then I just decided to stop growing for a while.
Now, I do everything behind locked doors. My own door locks so no one can barge in, the filing cabinet isnt unlocked unless that other door is locked.
My room isnt all that high traffic anyways, I dont even like 99% of the people in res so I never invite anyone over.
The under the bed idea was one I liked, yes because I want to see them fruit. Who doesnt? Its nature at its best. I still have photos and videos of my first grow that I watch time to time, and I know invitro wont do justice to that.
But because there's that slight uncertainty to it, I wont be doing it. Same goes for slashing my bed. That just seems to be asking for trouble (imho).
But I do appreciate you help and concearn guys, if I didnt value your opinions, I wouldnt be here.
Oh, and if I seem "hard headed" its likely due to the way I write. In person, I've never had anyone tell me that. On forums, everyone always seems to get an opinion like that.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 06:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's hard to really get a feel for someone in this all-text format,
we can't see you or hear you so we lack very basic data that would help us all to communicate better.
just wish i had $1 for every misunderstanding i've seen here.

Brad (Raze)
Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 07:19 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, its impossible to tell if someone using sarcasm, for example, in a text message. I've had misunderstandings on forums, on ICQ, and email.
Thats why I often find myself typing stuff like [/sarcasm] at the end of sentance.

Fitch F. Fitch (Fitch)
Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 09:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dude, Im in the same position, i.e. dorm room growing. Im incubating the jars in a covered box hidden in a corner with a whole bunch of other stuff, and doing the actual growing in large terrariums made out of rubbermade bins under the beds, which are shielded from view by other boxes of normal looking stuff. Our RA's arent allowed to go rooting through things, and only look under the bed quickly during fire drills to make sure no one is there. With the bins concealed the chance of an RA finding them is nil. Of course complete secrecy is a must (wouldnt want rumors to spread about what ur doing) but aside from that and other standard precautions (no work unless door is locked etc) you can have terrariums and grow a lot of jars (up to 70 or 80 in my room if need be)

Brad (Raze)
Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 11:26 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've never had one single fire drill here, wouldnt know what to do if there was one (I'd probably stay in my room... hehe).
I'm sure under my bed is a good option, but I wont exercise it as of now. The bin under there is clear with a white lid anyways. It was just the fact that I had it, that made it an easy idea.
My closet is rather large (compared to the rest in res) as my room is at the end of the hall. Its the only one that I know of that even "goes in." The rest are holes in the wall, mine actually has a chunk of wall hiding 1/2 of the closet.
Though, I'm trying to keep it empty, as I had planned on tripping out in there sometime :P

Fitch F. Fitch (Fitch)
Posted on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 08:16 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The fact that the tubs are clear is inconsequential, so long as properly camoflaged. Believe me, in the war on some drugs, mushrooms are basically ignored. If you look in most states Drug Threat Assessment Report (available online) you'll see that mushrooms will have one or two sentences, if any, in a largish document. People arent looking for mushroom growers, and wouldnt even know how to recognize one. Use that to your advantage. We should definately talk further on this, as regardless of what other people tell you about growing in a dormitory, it is very possible. Ill be more than happy to chat with you at length to ensure that your operation goes undetected. While I am not qualified to give growing tips, I can help you with disguising the grow operation. The closet sounds intrigueing though, if you just hand mist the tub terrariums and keep em stacked in an inconspicuous place, you could grow quite a bit of shrooms. Just be sure that any eqipment you have doesnt look out of place. Those bins are perfect because they are EVERYWHERE on a college campus, and no one will think twice about them. You could also pick up opaque bins, which would be perfect, because there is NO REASON WHATSOEVER that an RA will be authorized to open those bins. As far as lighting goes, the "Touch Lights" you see on tv would be nice (battery powered) but i am not sure how much heat they give off. Nightlights however can be easily attached to the underside of the lid to provide light, without generating heat. And if you are clever, you can power the nightlight with a battery aparatus with stuff from radio shack, to remove the aspect of wires poking out in places they ought not be.

me (Dzznuts)
Posted on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 08:43 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

put the rope rope lighting as a border around the underside of your bed. this may provide a bit of light but more importantly it will hide any light that may be coming from any boxes under your bed. tons of people did this in my res, it became a trendy thing to do actually.
for something to put your growing chamber in, i go to ikea, get stuff out of the "as is" section for awsome prices. the really cheap stuff needs a bit of work, but if you can live with a cabnet with a piece laminant off the corner, you can get stuff for like 15 bucks. i picked up a cabnet missing the one of the front doors for five bucks. pulled out one of the two shelves, they will give you any hardware your missing for free, screwed it on and thats it.
a friend of mine used filing cabnets while he was in res. they have locks and fit in closets nicely and can easily be disguised with a cloth over them.

be carefull not to leave jars or anythin like that around cause people will ask.

Fitch F. Fitch (Fitch)
Posted on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 09:03 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good ideas, Id neverthough about using crappy furniture, but in our dorms thatd look real out of place anyways. That is just me though. Filing cabinet seems nice, but I personally like the idea of the tub terrarium, as you can make lots of modifications to them with basic stuff laying around a dorm, as opposed to a metal or wood structure, which are harder to modify. I made the mistake of leaving a jar out, but no one paid it any mind (here, a reputaion for doing all sorts of wierd shit, that when people find out about theyre sorry they asked, helps out...people are less likely to question stuff.) Also, the bulk of your work should be done at night. I do all my things like jar preparation after 2am or so, because then you dont have to worry about scrambling to hide shit when someone knocks on your door. When all is said and done, go over your set up and look for things that may cause people to say "Gee, whats goin on with that". Have excuses ready in case anyone asks. A good story that you're solid on should lead to them saying "Oh, ok" and then dropping it. Bio and chem textbooks are good to have around too, because if the unthinkable happens you can always play it off as some sort of experiment, or research or some other bullshit. Act shocked if they mention psychadelic mushrooms. Make up some bullshit rumor you heard about why youd never do them. The most important thing with these lies is to speak them with utter conviction. DOnt let your body even hint that what youre saying isnt true. It may seem far fetched, but feeding people these lines can and will keep them off your back long enough to dispose of evidence. Even if they dont believe you if you stick to your story they will leave you alone long enough for you to save your ass.

Eventually I hope to compile all this dorm stuff into a comprehensive text. I think the biggest thing keeping people from growing in dorms is that there isnt enough information out there specific to this type of operation.

cowshitblues (Cowshitblues)
Posted on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 12:26 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

opaque tupper bins with master locks on the will do fine... just make sure to write down the codes somewhere, in case for some reason you forget. they will never look and u can keep them under your bed or probably in plain view..""its personal stuff"" is not a problem to say

Fitch F. Fitch (Fitch)
Posted on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 02:30 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With the proper equipment RA's shouldnt be a problem...they have to obey rules. Definately come up with some excuses for what you're doing though...fellow students arent bound by the same set of rules, and are the most likely candidates for trouble.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 02:48 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

Believe me, in the war on some drugs, mushrooms are basically ignored. If you look in most states Drug Threat Assessment Report (available online) you'll see that mushrooms will have one or two sentences, if any, in a largish document. People arent looking for mushroom growers, and wouldnt even know how to recognize one.

beggging your pardon,
but that's the wrong way to look at the situation, in my opinion it's just not factual.
everyone knows what a mushroom looks like when they see one, and most people have at least heard of 'magic mushrooms' and will very likely leap to that conclusion if they were to see some growing in someone's dresser drawer.
and while the cops aren't exactly waging 'war' on shroomers, they most certainly will bust you if you get caught.

Fitch F. Fitch (Fitch)
Posted on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 02:52 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what Im told, cops around here (NYC) just throw em away if they catch you with them, unless you get nailed mid transaction. My point with that statement was not to imply that breaking the law was good, just that the fellow in question was engaging in an activity that would not register on the radar of the athaurities (sic) Also, i meant recognizing a grow operation, not the mushrooms themselves. It aint like growing pot where you can get an idea of whos doing what by looking at such factors as electricity bills, the fact that the lamps put off heat, the smell etc. People actively look for pot growers, not mushrooms. Also, given the fact that in Threat Assesment Reports the DEA doesnt see fit to even mention mushrooms aside from the fact that they exist...if they wont even dedicate web space to the drug, do you think theyre doing things like watch listing mushroom growing supplies? Nope. Clandestine Chemists keep them on their toes in that regard. As far as drugs go, this is probably the safest to produce.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 03:19 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my point was to never bet your life on somebody being ignorant or lazy or stupid.
don't count on cops tossing out the evidence,
and don't bet that folks won't get suspicious even if they aren't exactly quite sure what's going on, esp. given the current 'war on terror'.
many of our supplies are also used in microbiology, your jars could be for growing biowar compounds for all they might know.
in matters of legal security, it's always just best to assume the worst.
that way, if you are wrong,
great, things went well.
but if you count on luck,
and things go wrong,
you are screwed.
never forget murphy's law--
whatever can go wrong,
will.

Fitch F. Fitch (Fitch)
Posted on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 06:18 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder, regardless of what kind of fungus you were growing, no Psilocybin is present until pinning starts. If you got nailed prior to pinning, you think theyd be able to arrest you?

Concerning cops, unless you give them a reason to come find your grow set up, theyre not gonna come looking (as opposed to pot)

Shrooms are probably the safest drug, in terms of overdose, liklihood of jail time etc. The fact that they are entheogens and are used by many cultures the world over in ceremonies can be a benefit too. If you had some appropriate literature lying around you could possibly plead that they are for religious use and not get fucked as hard if it came to court. (depending on the production capabilities of your lab)

Bottom line however, is that drugs are illegal, and by associating with them, you gamble with your freedom. Despite this, there are plenty of people who feel that they can minimize risk to some insignificant level and are comfortable with their doings. Educate yourself to all aspects of the game, have some sort of plan in case you get nailed...by covering all your bases you can keep yourself fairly safe, and even if the shit does hit the fan you can still minimize the damage done, and walk away from a collosal fuck up relatively unscathed.