Glovebox tip........ Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Gloveboxes & Flowhoods. Glovebox tip........ Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Python (Python)
Username: Python

Post Number: 1092
Posted on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 09:40 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok, well after cracking 2 rubbermaids, i consulted my girlfriend for help.........

with a lot of these plastic totes, the plastic is so hard that even with a blowdryer and a sharp knife/scissors, the arm hole will probably crack out, or at least take a very long time to cut out........

well thats what happened to me, and she said just take my bar mixer (essentially a metal cup and heat the the top with the gas stove and push it into the plastic), i heated and pushed 3 times and this is what i got in approx 30 seconds........

it was done in the lid as a trial......
Upload
Upload

It's just a hobby that i picked up in the lobby.........

Python (Python)

Post Number: 1093
Posted on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 09:40 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 3834
Posted on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 10:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice tip.
Archive material to gloveboxes.
"Whatever it is, that girl put a spell on me". . .jimi hendrix

Python (Python)

Post Number: 1094
Posted on Monday, September 27, 2004 - 11:16 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ya, i used it for the real box and it worked perfectly, and after one heating......prob 1 minute total to make the arm holes.......

Duke X (Dukex)
Username: Dukex

Post Number: 398
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 01:10 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have always hated trying to get a good clean cut for the arm holes.(tried everything)
This is a great solution!
Thanks for the tip.

Peace...
"Ill try to be around and about. But if Im not, then you know that Im behind your eyelids, and Ill meet you there." Terence Mckenna - Kona, September 1999

technogeek (Technogeek)
Username: Technogeek

Post Number: 168
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 02:31 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

beats my burn your finger with a hot butter knife tek

alkie Lloyd (Spdrcer987)
Intermediate Member
Username: Spdrcer987

Post Number: 52
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 05:42 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I just posted a glove box question, and then I read your cutting tek. I immediately duplicated this with a pot lid and an oven mitt. My stove is gas. I took the lid and rotated it on the flame wearing an oven mitt for about 60-90 seconds. I then placed it on my container, pressed, and rotated. When I pulled the lid away, there was a perfect circular hole.

It's a bit bigger than the regular rubber glove, but that's nothing that a trash bag and some duct tape won't fix.

bassplar99 (Bassplar99)
Username: Bassplar99

Post Number: 337
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 05:57 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I bet a small coffee can would be just about the right diameter.

Python, I like that tote you are using. I was going to pick some up, I think it is the same brand. Called Revelation if I remember right. They seem to be made very well.

(Message edited by bassplar99 on September 28, 2004)
All right, let's not panic. I'll make the money by selling one of my livers. I can get by with one.

mycolord (Mycolord)
Username: Mycolord

Post Number: 467
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 01:19 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well ill be damned.....awesome tip!
wish i knew that a month ago before i beat myself up with plastic shrapnel from my dremel cutting the bin. lol

ground control come in
ground control come in
this is the guy that can fly-where the fuck am i?

bongholio (Bongholio)
Username: Bongholio

Post Number: 118
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 02:52 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PROPANE TORCH + Old Knife = Rubbermaid Exacto

Python (Python)

Post Number: 1106
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 03:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I like that tote you are using

ya the totes are nice, thats why i was like how the hell am i gonna get these holes cut out...............the plastic was so thick and hard........i was being careful and it still kept cracking.....

and yes, a coffee can would prob be perfect.........

bdog (Bdog007)
Username: Bdog007

Post Number: 296
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 03:41 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, i use my friends' dremmel and it SUCKS!!
your girls' purdy smart, thats badass!!

kegluvtractor (Kegluvtractor)
Advanced Member
Username: Kegluvtractor

Post Number: 89
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 06:13 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Upload

BRILLIANT!!

Not only is that mother big, he packs a .45

seethe303 (Seethe303)
Username: Seethe303

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 06:51 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ah awesome idea.

Python (Python)

Post Number: 1116
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 07:27 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

welcome seethe...........

bongholio (Bongholio)
Username: Bongholio

Post Number: 120
Posted on Tuesday, September 28, 2004 - 08:05 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

seether, whats up?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 26472
Posted on Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 02:48 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice tip there!!

Namaste

Cheffy (Cheffybluegills)
Username: Cheffybluegills

Post Number: 108
Posted on Saturday, October 02, 2004 - 03:35 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use a 4 inch hole saw in a drill, ya have to run it backwards though so it kind of melts it's way through, if ya spin it forwards it fractures the plastic every time.
Oh by the way, which one's Pink?