What freaking happened? overdose ? Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Fungi Forum / Misc. Noteworthy threads What freaking happened? overdose ? Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Regulator (Regulator)
Posted on Sunday, November 03, 2002 - 02:47 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last night some friends and I ate some shrooms. The majority of them were split between 3 people, myself and two other guys. 4 other people ate just a couple. So everything is cool at first we ate them at like 10 or so, by 11:30 we are all just wasted. Then we smoke a joint of kb and it seems it all went downhill after that. One of the guys that I split the most with starts like passing out and going unconscience like. It looked like he just fell asleep but we were shaking him and calling his name and he wouldnt wake up. Then he finally snaps out of it and we're like dude are you ok? whats going on? he says he's ok now and gets up to walk outside, and the next thing I know someone comes in and tells me that he's freaking out. So I go outside and he's like passed out again, they told me he was standing up and just started to fall. So now this is freaking me out and I just start doing anything I can to wake him up. I got him awake and sat him in a chair and was just talking to him constantly trying to see if he is making sense at all. And he keeps saying I just want to goto sleep, i want to goto sleep. And I say nooo way. And he was really hot. It was like 40 something outside and he was sweating. He didn't pass out again after that but I had to keep talking to him, and after about an hour he seemed like he was much more coherent after getting him something to eat and water to drink. He has eaten shrooms lots of times before. I have eaten shrooms lots, and the other person that we split the most with had only eaten them once before and he was fine. So I take Tobey home, the one that was passing out, and I go home. Well come to find out today, one of the people that had only eaten a few got wacky and tripped out. He was playing Madden on playstation all night long and they told me that he started thinking that this game was his life or something wierd like that. He was trippin out on this game, kept saying 3rd and eight over and over and over again. Then he pissed his pants and started acting crazy, they told me they almost had to swing on him to get him calmed down. He somehow sprained his ankle too. So my question is what freaking happened??

Jonny Pajamas (Jonnypajamas)
Posted on Sunday, November 03, 2002 - 03:01 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like a potent dose to me. Last time I tripped I had to say everything twice evrything twice, or someone would say lets go outside, and I would start saying outside outside outside outside outside outside outside outside outside outside outside. As far as the passing out goes, I'm not sure, I never smoke though when I'm tripping, just cause I don't know how I'll react. From what I hear, I'm well enough off without the weed.

Jesseb (Jesseb)
Posted on Sunday, November 03, 2002 - 05:38 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did your friend have anything to eat before tripping? I had a similar experiance that sacred the hell out of me. I belive that it was caused by low blood sugar. How much did he take?

jesseb

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, November 03, 2002 - 12:36 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the dose may have been high enough to take your friend into a vision or trance state.
some call it an obe or out-of-body- experience.
your friend was in his own vision world, a bit like being a sleep walker.
you could bring him back briefly by talking, etc but the drug would take him back shortly.
it's nothing to really worry about, the drug doesn't last too long before the trance is over and he returns to normal.
all in all, just sounds like you guys just dosed a bit too high for fun and games,
doses that high are meant for serious exploration of the mind and soul, not partying.

big slick (Baddaboom)
Posted on Sunday, November 03, 2002 - 03:14 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why were you so concerned about waking them up?

seems to me like the weed made them sleepy

take my advice and have some xanax on hand when someone starts acting crazy

If someone wants to sleep whats the f**cking harm there. This is not like a downer overdose where if they go to sleep they die. get a grip, know your drugs.

nuecrew (Nue)
Posted on Sunday, November 03, 2002 - 04:09 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Definetly have the xanax on hand. I remember 35 years ago the people who tripped on acid regularly kept valium on hand(no xanax then). "valium makes your central nervous system go fizzle, fizzle, fizzle" I remember tripping on acid one night. After an hour or two of heady disscusions around a campfire in the woods with others who were high I went home. I took all my clothes off and sat on my honches in front of my fireplace watching the flames. The next morning my girlfriend wakes me up all pissed off saying,"who took a shit in front of the fireplace last night". I took a dump and didn't even know it, god I was tripping hard. I was in the doghouse for shitting inside the house. those were the days my friend.my son was concieved around that same period of time.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, November 03, 2002 - 04:16 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

This is not like a downer overdose where if they go to sleep they die.

very good point, there's no harm in letting them sleep, or space out.
just don't let them hurt themselves or call 911 or go to the hospital.assuming that one knows that they did in fact take cubensis, etc. not some unknown picked from the wild. that will only get them in trouble. best to just ride it out, it doesn't last long.

Regulator (Regulator)
Posted on Sunday, November 03, 2002 - 06:08 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont know if he had anything to eat before, but I know he was hungry afterwards. Why was I so concerned?? Oh my god. Get a grip. I was supposed to sit there and think that everything was ok when his face was contorting and his eytes were rolling in the back of his head. Yeah, that sounds ok to me. I didnt know if he had done anything else that night. I knew if it was just the shrooms that there wasnt a chance he oded on them. Forgive me for being so overly concerned but my ex boyfriend passed out one night (no he wasnt tripping) and they werent overly concerned about it and he spent the next 3 months in a coma, and the next 8 months in rehab learning his whole life over, if you would even like to call it a life. And spare me the whole xanax bit too. That stuff is the .

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, November 03, 2002 - 06:15 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

your concern is perfectly understandable.
we were more intending our advice for future reference, just pointing out that shrooms won't cause any real permanent harm like some drugs will . sorry if we seemed callous.

Mjshroomer (Mjshroomer)
Posted on Sunday, November 03, 2002 - 07:06 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doctors prescribe valium to patients to alleviate a bad experience in patients who have problems after too many shrooms are consummed. This will bring them down when on mushrooms. Please do not give advice to people to take Xanax when one does not know what he is taling about. Espceeally if you are not a pharmacologist and do not knw the medical makeup of the presecibed frug you are attempting to tell someone to take. This is dangerous to the person on the mushrooms. Again, especially if you are not a doctor.

You can read this in my article with Dr. Karl L. R. Janssen and Dr. Mark MErlin who were my editors for my book on "Magic Mushrooms in Australia and new Zealand," on what to do for over dose or bad trips.

If people eat more than their body can handle they will lose much of their muscular coordinatin and will not be able to stand up. This goes away if one just lets the person sleep it off or rest it off.

Here is from my book posted at erowid.org on this subject matter:

Excerted from "Magic Mushrooms of Australia and New Zealand," and copyrighted in 1999 and the copyright belongs to John W. ALlen and Erowid (Fire and Earth) and no one else.:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

PSYCHOACTIVE EFFECTS OF PSILOCYBIAN MUSHROOMS
Symptoms produced by eating fresh hallucinogenic mushrooms begin to occur within 15 to 30 minutes after ingestion (or from 5 to 10 minutes when prepared in the form of tea or soup). Symptoms persist for up to four to six hours after ingestion. In 1960, Clinical effects for psilocybine intoxication in humans was reported as being the following symptom: (Hollister et al., 1962).:

"0-30 minutes - Slight nausea, giddiness (light-headed), abdominal discomfort, weakness, muscle aches and twitches, shivering, anxiety, restlessness, and a numbness of lips.

30-60 minutes - Visual effects (blurring, brighter colors, sharper outlines, longer after-images, visual patterns with closed eyes). Increased hearing, yawning, sweating, facial flushing. Decreased concentration and attention, slow thinking, feelings of unreality, depersonalization, dreamy state. [John's note to Mycotopians: Please observe these symmptoms] Inco-ordination, tremulous speech.

60-120 minutes - Increased visual effects (colored patterns and shapes, mostly with eyes closed). Wave-motion of viewed surfaces. Impaired distant perception. Euphoria, increased perception, and a slowed passage of time.

120-240 minutes - Waning and nearly complete resolution of above effects. Returning to normal within 4-12 hours. Other effects often include: Decreased salivation and appetite; uncontrollable laughter; transient sexual feelings and synesthesias (e.g., `seeing' sounds)."

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

TREATMENT FOR PSILOCYBIAN MUSHROOM POISONING:

The major dangers associated with psilocybin poisonings are primarily psychological in nature. Anxiety or panic states ("bad trips"), depressive or paranoid reactions, mood changes, disorientation and an inability to distinguish between reality and fantasy may occur. This would also include loss or control of muscular coordination when taken in excess of 30 miiligrams or more (added to this problem are breathing problems with the conscious thought of one being not able to breath).

Recommended treatment for this type of poisoning should always be primarily supportive. Mycologist Dr. Joseph Ammirati of the University of Washington and his colleagues claim that "no specific treatment can be recommended for psilocybin poisoning in humans". Other doctors have "stress[ed] the importance of measures to reduce absorption of the toxins involved". This involves either, e.g., gastric lavage or emesis Lincoff & Mitchell, 1977; Rumack & Saltzman, 1978; Smith, 1978).

Emesis. 15-30 cc of ipecac syrup followed by large amounts of oral liquids (500 cc).

Supportive treatment: i.e. the "talk-down" technique is the preferred method for handling "bad trips". It involves non-moralizing, comforting, personal support from an experienced individual. This is further aided by limiting external stimulation such as intense light or loud sounds and letting the person lie down and perhaps listen to soft music.

Tranquilizers need only be used in extreme situations and are generally not considered to be necessary. Diazepam, 0.1 mg/kg in children, up to 10 mg in adults, may be used to control seizures.

According to Dr. Rick Strassman of the University of New Mexico, anti-psychotics have gone out of favor for the treatment of `bad trips'. Specifically, medicines with anti-cholinergic side effects, such as chlorpromazine, should not be given as these mushrooms can have marked anti-cholinergic effects of their own.

In 1988, Dr. Jansen noted that cases which present medically fall into several groups:

Those who have taken the drug with little knowledge of hallucinogens and in the absence of sensible persons who can take care of them. These are more likely to be adolescents. They may self-present but are more often brought for medical attention by their parents.

Those who fall as a result of impaired balance or muscle weakness and are knocked out or otherwise injured as a result.

Those who are having a `bad trip'. These may involve acute anxiety and panic, depression, paranoid reactions, disorientation and an inability to distinguish between reality and fantasy.

Cases of idiosyncratic physical reactions such as cyanosis.

Those with recurring phenomena after the mushroom effects should have passed, including prolonged psychosis.

When the history is clear and the signs are suggestive of psilocybian intoxication, it is best not to artificially empty the stomach either by emesis with ipecac or by lavage. Treatment shows that emptying the stomach had no effect on the duration or intensity of the experience once psychological manifestations had properly commenced. Dr. Jansen maintains that unless there is a reason to suspect that a more toxic fungus has been ingested, or if the patient is a young child, induced emesis is not necessary, not helpful and may make the situation much worse if the patient is already aggressive and agitated.

Other doctors have also speculated that a lavage is not merited if psilocybian mushrooms have been positively identified as the source of discomfort. It has also been suggested that "gastric intubation can be difficult in these young patients who are often already distressed and not infrequently aggressive. Furthermore the mushrooms may block the standard lavage tubes [used] for drug overdoses."

The inherent danger from the ingestion of wild mushrooms lies not so much in the consumption of an hallucinogenic variety, but rather in the picking and eating of a toxic species which might resemble an hallucinogenic variety.

Dr. Gastón Guzmán (and his colleagues wrote that "field and laboratory studies strongly indicate that psychoactive mushroom use as it normally occurs does not constitute a drug abuse problem or a public health hazard" (Guzmán et al., 1976). In addition, a recent survey conducted among college students in California, suggests that "the low frequency and few negative effects of [hallucinogenic mushroom] use indicate that abuse does not present a social problem, nor is there evidence for predicting the development of a problem" Thompson et al., 1985).

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Njshroomer.

Hope that some here will take note of these answers to the above question posted by the persons involved in this unfortunate situation.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, November 03, 2002 - 07:27 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we can always count on you to give us the straight info, mj. thx

big slick (Baddaboom)
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2002 - 12:12 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What strait info hippie?

What are you saying Mj?

Are you saying take someone to the doctor if they are having a really bad trip or Call 911?

valium = diazapam
xanax = alprazolam

both are benzodiazapams(the same family of drugs) they have virtually the same effect. No I am not a pharmacologist or a doctor but I have taken them both, actually a whole lot of both of them.
In Europe if someone is having a bad trip they give them xanax in the emergency room.

I believe even Hippie described having a really bad trip where he believed the sky was falling and his girlfriend gave him some xanax not valium.

xanax,valium,ativan(lorazapam) skelatal muscle relaxants prescribed sometimes for anxiety relatively quite safe. Nowadays there is a lot more xanax around than valium.

There use to be a poster here named boxedfarts his friend freaked out on shrooms long story short police get them. I think if boxedfarts had some xanax or some other benzo on hand to give his friend he would still be posting on this board.

This is a drug board and people come here for answers and the answer to a really bad trip is take a benzo or maybe call 911 get taken to the emergency room were some doctor missdiagnosis you as having scizophrenia and shoots you up with haldol.\

dom teknos (Teknos)
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2002 - 12:47 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NO NO NO NO I know exactly what happened! The first time i smoked pot while on shrooms I had the same thing happen, I sat down and started blacking out, I had to get up and walk around. It was just a drop in blood pressure.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Monday, November 04, 2002 - 12:05 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no, i agree with you, slick.
i think zanax is a perfectly reasonable alternative to valium in helping calm folks down.
and no way would i recommend calling 911 or going to the hospital during a shroom panic attack, etc.
i was more refering to the other info mj posted, the factual parts, not the opinions.

Imok (Imok)
Posted on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 06:54 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material :)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: