My First Time Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Grow Logs My First Time Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through October 10, 2004Raebis (Raebis)nekopan (Nekopan)25 1 10-10-04  06:38 pm
Archive through October 20, 2004Raebis (Raebis)Hippie3 (Admin)25 1 10-20-04  04:00 pm

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 27121
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 04:01 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice grow log,
btw

archive material to grow logs/photos

Namaste

Raebis (Raebis)
Username: Raebis

Post Number: 36
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 08:26 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah they have been incubating at around 80-84 degreez since i noced them up... is there any high-altitude directions i'm missing or something

1dumbmyco (1dumbmyco)
Username: 1dumbmyco

Post Number: 431
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 09:06 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Anyway, my BRF cakes that i noc'd up on Oct 8th show no growth. The BRF cakes that i noc'd up on Oct 10th, still no growth. The Popcorn jars i did on oct 14th show no growth.

Ouch man. Based on what you have shown and written I would have to suspect the spores as well. Good luck!
All posts are for microscopic purposes only.

Raebis (Raebis)

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 09:13 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well thats no good. The spores are around 6 months old.

anybody reccomend a spore supplier?

1dumbmyco (1dumbmyco)

Post Number: 432
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 10:01 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Well thats no good. The spores are around 6 months old.

anybody reccomend a spore supplier?

Sponsors:
http://archives.mycotopia.net/discussite/article.php?25.255

Rio (Rio)
Username: Rio

Post Number: 205
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 12:17 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any one else live at HIGH altitudes?
If yes, what are your growth
times compared to the average here?

Are you waiting until your jars are completely
cooled before innoculating?

(Message edited by rio on October 21, 2004)

Raebis (Raebis)

Post Number: 38
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 04:22 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have always wait3ed overnight for the jars to cool..

i think i'll get some diff spores. what strain is easy for beginners to grow?

nekopan (Nekopan)
Advanced Member
Username: Nekopan

Post Number: 92
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 09:03 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brazilian strain from ralphsters. Lots of rhizo mycelium, good colonization times, and Ralphster is awesome.

IMHO
d|| -__-\b

Cloudcatcher (Cloudcatcher)
Username: Cloudcatcher

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 09:22 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Raebis, I'm new too. Ralphsters is a wonderful sponsor. I would recommend him highly.

I tried Texas, B+ and Golden Teacher.

One quart of GT on rye berries colonized very thickly until rubbery. I made a mini-bulk grow out of them on straw/worm castings that was doing beautifully until I overheated it with a heating pad during a cold spell and killed it That went into the garden.

The B+ colonized 4 out of 12 half-pints of rye grain. The rest did nothing. I spawned one of the four to worm castings (sterilized) which is doing great in a ziplock with peroxidated water for initial wetting, one spawned to ground Eukeneuba dog food which didn't grow and was thrown out (preservatives, apparently, I am going to try organic dog food with verm for a substrate. I haven't read of anyone trying this, but I like to experiment.) Two are doing Hip's invitro on the plain rye grain. There are a lot of pins just with ambient light. I don't think I will dunk them because I tried it on a small jar and it washed the mycelium off the outside of the grain, so I will probably just inject a little bleach water into them later and do a flash dunk.

The Texas on wild bird seed has taken forever to colonize and at one point I rewet the jars with bleach water (200:1) to rewet them and they are colonizing nicely now, along with the failed half-pints inoculated with the drain water from the bleached quarts. I'm sick of waiting for them, so I'm spawning all the colonized Texas on WBS to Visions baskets and throwing out the uncolonized grain. I won't be using wild bird seed again any time soon, or if I do, I won't shake it like it says in the tek.

A mistake I made when innoculating with the GT was to suck in air so I could shake the syringe. Both quarts after that were contaminated so I've lost the rest of that syringe. I should have done G2G from the jar that colonized so thickly, but didn't. Now, I wish I had! I read later that if sucking air into a syringe, it must be done inside the flame. I was in a hypercleaned environment doing an oven-tek and I still ruined the syringe.

Anyway, Golden Teacher on rye colonizes well but I haven't fruited any because I killed the mini-bulk grow, but from now on, I'm just using rye berries prepared with 12 hours soaking, 30 minutes pasteurizing and 75 minutes PC. That has had the best result.

The reason I like rye is because I can just blenderize the mycelium/grain with some juice and citric acid if I don't want to wait for shrooms. The substrate is completely edible. I haven't tried it yet, however, just read a mycelium tek.

http://nepenthes.lycaeum.org/Plants/shrooms/myceli al.html

Raebis (Raebis)

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 11:27 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow thanks for all the quick info.

quick question though, some spore suppliers are claiming they have a high-density type syringe, visibally thick with clumps of spores.. any reason to use this type of syringe over a "standard density" syringe? would it be better to buy a print and make my own syringes?

Cloudcatcher (Cloudcatcher)
Username: Cloudcatcher

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 09:03 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have only done business with Ralphster and I know he's honorable, so I have no idea about any others. One suggestion would be to check out your potential supplier on the web. You will find, when you put in their name, posts about people's experience with them. I made the mistake of not doing this with one supplier and was burned.

Also, I haven't made my own syringes yet, but there are a lot of great teks on syringe-making on the web and I'm sure some experienced people would be happy to comment.

I think the fun is in the experimentation and the learning process, so I plan to try everything. Good luck!

NEKO (Nekopan)
Username: Nekopan

Post Number: 115
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2004 - 02:55 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty much any syringe you buy you'll be able so see a few small clumps of spores. Spores are microscopic, so if you can see a mass of them there are going to be multiple thousands of spores in the syringe. Shake the syring up with a little air bubble inside to break up the clumps a bit and somewhat evenly suspend the spores in the solution.
d|| -__-\\b <3 neko

Raebis (Raebis)

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2004 - 07:48 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Pretty much any syringe you buy you'll be able so see a few small clumps of spores

I'll tell you what, i never saw any clumps of spores in the b+ syringe that i have been using.. it always looked like water... time to go find a microsocope

Raebis (Raebis)

Post Number: 41
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2004 - 08:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From RalphstersSpores.com FAQ

quote:

What's the difference between a dark syringe and a regular crystal syringe?

- For the longest time I tried to convince customers that a darker syringe with more spores packed into it wasn't necessarily better. We did extensive testing and could not come to the conclusion that one was better than the other. But still - email after email requesting dark syringes. So, I gave in and offer them now purely for novelty. I would suggest sticking to the regular crystal syringes.

Tumbz (Tumbz)
Username: Tumbz

Post Number: 295
Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 05:27 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Note: Tumbz is a fictional character from my imagination.

Raebis (Raebis)

Post Number: 48
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 06:36 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As per requested in the chat, here is an update of... well nothing i guess.

Upload

Jars A:
BRF Jar with Fine Verm
Noc'd on Oct 8 with B+
Upload

Jars B:
BRF Jar with Coarse + Fine Verm
Noc'd on Oct 11 with B+
Upload

Jars C:
Popcorn hydrated in pressure cooker w/ pollyfil lids
Noc'd on Oct 13 with B+
Upload

And Jar D:
BRF with coarse + fine verm with extra flour
Tyvek filters
Noc'd on Oct 16th with B+
Upload

All spores came from the same syringe. I see zero growth. all around in jars.

I'll soon be trying some SA jars (tyvm 1dm for the print), thinking about doing a few BRF and a few Popcorn. If anybody feels like throwing an easy-grow strain print my way, send me a pm and i will 2 u :-)

(Message edited by raebis on October 25, 2004)

Raebis (Raebis)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 51
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 12:09 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In this period of wait, I find myself getting impatient. So what else can i do? how about work on my terrarium? Improving on my techniques i have created a single hose system that connects at either end to the cool mist. this seems to offer more space for the humidified air from inside the cool mist to escape through the hose.

Along the inside of the hose, and in the terrarium, there are holes drilled (1/8th inch) equidistance from each other and the edge of the box. I'm about to do a humidity test, seal the top and see what results i get without perlite.

Upload

Why use a humidifyer on such a small growing space, you might ask. Well, the gas exchange is excellent, preventing the need for fanning. As long as the humidity is up, i'm happy. Test results later.
I crave not the result.
The satisfaction comes
with knowing the result
is because of me.

Raebis (Raebis)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 55
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 06:44 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Without perlite i can maintain about an 85-90% rh, which is good for casings. With perlite, the RH jumps about 6 percent, making the terrarium suited for cakes.

no condensation has occurred on the inside of the terrarium (no water droplets).
I crave not the result.
The satisfaction comes
with knowing the result
is because of me.

1dumbmyco (1dumbmyco)

Post Number: 470
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 07:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

All spores came from the same syringe. I see zero growth. all around in jars.

I'll soon be trying some SA jars (tyvm 1dm for the print),

My friends around Amsterdam are always willing to help. Looks like the set up is coming along nicely and with an inch or so perlite drenched but no standing water you should get near 100%RH with that set up. Be sure to get a bulb turkey baster to suck excess water from the perlite because it will build up some over time once your up and going. Tilt it a bit to one corner, allow water to accumulate, then suck it out from where it pools with baster. Be sure to lift the baster out carefully because some water drips from it and don't want that hitting your projects. Good work so far.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 27384
Posted on Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 12:34 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don't give up yet,
no growth
is better than contamination.
give them a few more days before freaking.

Namaste

Raebis (Raebis)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 59
Posted on Saturday, October 30, 2004 - 09:43 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And giving up I am not, but I must say this is the last post in this thread, as I completely cleaned all the jars out. No growth on any of the cakes that had come out, even when crumbled up.

Even though I did not succesfully grow even the tiniest bit of mycelium, the purpose of this is to enlighten and let people know that failures DO happen to everybody at least once. The important part is not to give up and to get back on that horse (and use its manure for substrate) and try again.

And thats exactly what I've done. Take a look at my Second First Grow Log: http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/7747/1689 04.html?1099171688
I crave not the result.
The satisfaction comes
with knowing the result
is because of me.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: