Questions about fresh horse manure Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Substrate: Shroom Food Questions about fresh horse manure Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Straw with horse dung from barnCurryShroomer Hippie3 19 1 11-25-04  02:29 am

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Freakachino (Freakachino)
Username: Freakachino

Post Number: 36
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 02:59 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good day all! I have 2 five gallon buckets of fresh horse manure. One bucket is from the stalls, and is mixed with fine sawdust. The second bucket is from the field.
My questions are:
1)Will the sawdust mixed in be a bad thing?
2)Is it really necessary to fully dry the manure outside?
3)Can I dry it out in the oven wrapped in foil to remove the ammonia and then past.?
4)Would it be better to let it sit out all winter and use next Spring or summer?
Thanks for any help you can give. I've gone through the archives and searched, but I don't see much on use of fresh manure use and manure that may be mixed with sawdust. Peace!
I don't know Kung Fu, But I know Freaky!

tippmann (Tippmann)
Intermediate Member
Username: Tippmann

Post Number: 55
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 05:23 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as i have read from a post from someone who seems to know what they are doing, they said to gather the dry dung piles which seem to have been sitting for a bit, and collect piles which do not stink, apparently the less bad they smell the less bacteria that is in the poop, doesnt need to sit out all winter though! well this is all i can help you with unfortunantly, sorry! http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/11766.h tml

Post Number: 39
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 05:36 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd still like some answers/ideas about the above questions.

This is what I did so far:
I laid out 2 black garbage bags in the sun. I sifted through and spread the dung pieces out on the bags. I used black also because I thought it would retain and soak up more heat then something of another color. Its only about 65 out, but sunny and warm and slight breeze. I thought it would be enough to dry it. So I sorted through it; in the field manure bucket there was a lot of dried hay and some fresher hay mixed in, so I picked what I could out of it and spread it in a single layer and broke them up the best I could. They were still fresher than I thought. I put the stable dung and put it on one bag and the field dung on another. I want to see if one does better than the other for the sawdust factor. I let it dry for about 20 minutes and then lightly sprayed it with the hose for 5 minutes. Of course the stable dung foamed and smelled way worse. I think doing this was wise as there was probably a lot of ammonia in it. I did take pics but I'm going to try to keep a log of it so I can see where I may have made any mistakes.
So I'm going to let it dry completely outside. Then I'm going to past. it in a pillowcase. I'm not going to let it sit for long. I only used a little out of the buckets, so these are just going to be used smaller scale to see how it goes. I'm hoping it will dry before the sunsets so I can try a past. soak and case a couple jars I have.
If anyone has any comments on this I'd appreciate hearing them. I've never worked with manure and am really interested in using it as I can get quite a bit of it.
I'd also like to say that the horses that this came from are like pets. They eat grain, grass, and hay on a daily basis. They are given worming medicine yearly(actually quarterly). Will this make a difference in the manure quality? Also will the horse hair and hay pieces matter if they are mixed in?
Thanks again for any input you may be able to give.

Post Number: 40
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 05:40 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Tippmann, I know the horses and the lady who owns them, very clean farm and I clean her stalls out for her so I can have the manure. Fresh is what I usually take because she uses the dried for her own garden. Thats why I'm asking so many annoying questions.:-)

Thanks for the link, I read that and am using some of the info in it to go by. Peace!

ima_funguy (Ima_funguy)
Username: Ima_funguy

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 05:47 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1)Will the sawdust mixed in be a bad thing?
Yes, very very bad.

2)Is it really necessary to fully dry the manure outside?
No

3)Can I dry it out in the oven wrapped in foil to remove the ammonia and then past.?
I've never tried that.

4)Would it be better to let it sit out all winter and use next Spring or summer?
No. I prefer fresh or dried.

Are you planning to grow on pure manure or a manure and straw compost?

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 05:54 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im planning on straight manure. I don't feel like messing with straw. I was going to try to mix in some verm or coir with it, maybe a 10% verm/coir, and 90% manure. So I can past. fresh?
And I don't think I can get all the sawdust stuff off. Its really fine.

ima_funguy (Ima_funguy)
Username: Ima_funguy

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 06:39 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IMHO-Any amount of sawdust in the manure results in total crop failure. Your milage may vary.

I've seen mushrooms growing on various types of manure. The moisture content of the manure is adjusted to aprox. 60-70%. The manure is placed in jars or bags then sterilized in an autoclave or pressure cooker for 1-2 hours at 15 psi.

This method is an alternative to to using grain spawn for innoculating bulk substrates rather than as a production method.

The largest yields per sq foot of growing space are often obtained using steam pasturized compost or straw pasturized in a hot water bath of manure tea.

Good luck!

GOLLY (Golly)
Username: Golly

Post Number: 153
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 06:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If that was my horse shite, i would put it in a clear plastic leaf bag ,,,mix in some lime n H2o to get it evenly moist ...lay the bag n all out in a sunny spot ..at the end of every day open the bag to let O2 in and stir it a little .Then throw a cover over it at night .After a week or so u should notice that the shit smell is gone -n it just smells like dirt....At this point it is prime for mush growing ....no need to add any thing just pasturize in oven ..Gluk...

Post Number: 42
Posted on Monday, October 11, 2004 - 07:16 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the input!
IMA- I am going to go with pastuerizing it. I have popcorn jars to spawn it with. I don't know if I can get all the sawdust off, but spraying it with the hose did take most of it off.
Golly- Thanks for the idea of wrapping it in a bag like that. I will add lime to it and maybe a little bit of bleach/water. I'll put the rest of whats in the buckets and dry it out in some bags. I think I'm going to take what is drying now and when it is dry enough wrap it well in foil in pan and past. in oven at 170. I think if it is moist than past. in the oven covered will steam it and past. I think I'll experiment a little to see what happens. Can't hurt and maybe that way people can use fresh without waiting for it to dry outside.

HF (Highflyer)
Username: Highflyer

Post Number: 2611
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 02:49 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive never seen sawdust to effect yeilds....
Small rocks, hair, hay, ect will not make it unuseable either

Just let it dry completely in the sun like you posted above. You could even let it sit on your garage floor (if thats possible). Once its dry it will be ready to use. You sound like you are doing your homework, so your results should be good.
"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way." - Robert Frost

Post Number: 44
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 05:07 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the words of encouragement Highflyer! Makes me feel like I'm learning the right stuff! I did decide to use some of it for experiments sake. I want to understand using the manure a little better so until the rest dries I'm going to experiment a little to see how to work with it. That way I can see what can go wrong with it too. Also I noticed the sawdust mostly washed off and I don't think it will be much of a problem since it is so minute on the manure. So here is what I have done with the experiment so far.
1.)1.I took black garbage bags and laid them on the ground. I then sifted through the buckets to remove the whole manure parts. I broke some of them up and left some whole. On the stall manure I tried to get as much of the saw bedding off before putting on the bag. You can see the separate pile in the picture.
Upload
2.)The outside temp. was about 65* and a slight breeze. After step 1 I let it sit in the sun for about 20 minutes to start to dry. I knew that if I left it out to dry I would not be able to use it for a long time. Here is a picture after 20 minutes of drying.
Upload

3.)As you can see it started to dry some so I then took the hose to help rinse out some of the urine and ammonia. The stall manure I knew would have more ammonia smell in it then the pasture manure. Plus the hose helped to wash some of the sawdust bedding off of the manure. I sprayed with a hose for about 10 minutes. Then I left it for 6 hrs. outside basking in the sun.Upload

4.)After 6 hours I turned my oven on to 175* and lined 2 baking pans with foil. My idea was to break up the already moistened manure, bake well covered for 2 hrs. in the oven and then remoisten when I was ready to use. So I broke up the pieces as well as I could, its hard when its wet. And made a single flat layer in the pans. I didn't do a lot because its an experiment and I will be using it in a small scale to see if it works or not. So after breaking it up and lining it in the pan it looked like this.
Upload

5.)5.After this I let it sit in the sun in the pan for another 15 minutes. Then I sprinkled hydrated lime over the top and hand sprayed bleach water over it.
Upload

6.)Then I tightly covered it with foil.
Upload

7.)By now my oven had been on for about an hour so I put them in one on top rack and one on bottom rack. I will leave them to bake for 2 hrs. maybe 2.5 hrs.
8.)I baked it in the oven for 3 hrs. I let it sit and cool except for the pic I took. My house never smelled, but the manure was really steaming when I took the picture and there was a slight smell, but it was earthy, not poopy. It still was holding moisture so now I know this is not a way to dry it, but possibly a way to pasteurize while still holding the moisture in. In hind sight I am thinking I should have mixed the lime in rather than just sprinkling on top. But I will mix it in before I add the spawn. I am going to add a little vermiculite to it. Here is the picture of it after baking.
Upload

Well as I said this is just an experiment that I am hoping will work well. Hopefully it will work out good enough so fresh poop can be used all the time instead of waiting for it to dry out naturally. I am also going to mix it with some pre-moistened vermiculite that has already been sterilized. Maybe even try some coco coir to mix with it. I haven't gotten to that step yet so I am not sure where the experiment will take me.
I have decided thus far that I am going to cut a gallon water jug in half and use that as the growing tray. I have decided on this so far because I want to be able to see it colonize. Plus I will be able to tape off when I am ready to case it. I will be casing it with vermiculite and coco coir mix-Papashrooms mix!

Sorry for the long post but I'm open to criticism as to any of my methods. Feel free to point out my faults. I can take it. I am just experimenting and hoping for the best. Thanks for taking the time to read it!

GOLLY (Golly)
Username: Golly

Post Number: 154
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 11:58 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's def a different approach to substrate prep..I'm interested to know how that turns out for ya....Potentially this stuff could start generating ammonia as it continues to break down or could be less resistant to mould due to remaining undigested elements and the fact that its been sterilized.....

Post Number: 45
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 02:37 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Golly, yeah I got to thinking that too. I left it in my oven overnight to think about what approach I wanted to take. I decided to take the field pan and mixed in 1 cup of vermiculite. Then I packed the pan into 2 quart jars. I then poured a little less than 1/4 cup distilled water into the jars and put the lids on, seal side up. I loaded them in the pc. I didn't put the pressure nob on the pc just let it heat up for 45 minutes on high. I am letting them sit in there to cool down. Then I am going to spawn a quart jar of popcorn to it. It didn't have any type of manure smell to it but still had moisture in it. I think the lime helped but I should have mixed it in better than just sprinkling on top. The other pan I am going to take out of the oven, add the cup of verm and only 1/4 cup distilled water, maybe less, and mix and then bake at the 170* mark for another 2 hours. This should take care of anything left in it thats bad. When I loaded the quart jars with the pasture manure it seemed as if there was no undigested material left. I am thinking it may generate some ammonia also. But its fun to experiment and I'm really excited to see how it turns out too! I'll definitely keep updating its progress, or at least till it contams. But I'm gonna think positive and learn a little something about manure.

Yogi (Yogi)
Username: Yogi

Post Number: 480
Posted on Tuesday, October 12, 2004 - 03:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you hand crumble your manure you can mix it with dry verm at roughly 50/50 or so and the verm will help dry it much faster.The verm will also help aerate it so the mix is a good thing. Then after thoroughly drying when you pasteurize the mix if you use a hot water bath with some hydrated lime it should take out any urine, ammonia etc from the manure.

CptnMaxMushroom (Captainmax)
Username: Captainmax

Post Number: 358
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 01:53 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you guys ever heard of composting? Ideally, thats what you want to do with fresh horse manure. It involves making a big pile. It heats up in the center and you need to flip the pile every couple days so it all gets a chance at being in the center and heating up. It will become high test soil in a couple weeks and ready to use for maximum results. This is what is used by commercial mushroom growers for over 70 years. Simply laying it out to dry is a poor substitute for the real deal.

And there is nothing wrong with a bit of sawdust in it if it is from the stable. This is all good stuff and contains nutrients from the horse urine.

Most farms, stables, anywhere that has horses, usually have a huge pile of manure. Dig into the middle of it for the real good stuff.

www.sporelab.com
Visit the SporeLab
It's a trip you'll never forget!

Intermediate Member

Post Number: 53
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 05:50 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Captain- Yes I have heard of composting:-). I have a compost pile outside already. But I would also like to add that it is no longer hot where I am so heating it up to compost isn't going to happen anytime soon. That is why I am experimenting using the fresh manure. I am just running an experiment to see how I could utilize fresh manure. Its just for science and experimenting. I am composting the rest of it outside though. And thanks for the positive on the sawdust. I thought it could be beneficial also but wasn't sure and then heard some conflicting answers about it.

So here is an update on the experiment so far.

10-12-04. It is now the next day and this is the progress I have made so far in the experiment.
1.I took a cup of vermiculite and mixed it while in the pan. Then I took 2 quart jars and packed them with the dung. I also added a little less than cup of distilled water to each jar. Then I put them in the PC. I left the pressure nob/gauge off and turned the heat on high for 45 minutes. Then I turned the heat off and left it to sit for 4 hrs. Then I took them out and put them in the freezer to finish cooling down. Here are the jars before PC step.
Upload

2.I took the pan of stall manure out of the oven and added 3 cups of vermiculite to it. I mixed it well. I misted it with some bleach water and covered tightly with foil. I put it in a 170* oven for 2 hrs. I also put some dry vermiculite wrapped in foil in the oven with it for use with the Pasture manure because I realized 1 cup wasn't enough.
Upload

3.I cleaned up my work area and prepared my water jug which will be the home for the substrate/spawn mix. I cut off the top third of the jug so I could lift it by the handle. And used electrical tape to cover the opening that was left in the handle after cutting. I lysoled the jug and inverted to let dry. I got all of my materials together, cling, tape, grain jar. I lysoled my already cleaned area really thoroughly and began. First I took the oven baked vermiculite and dumped it into the bottom of the jug. Then I added 1 quart jar of manure on top of the vermiculite. I mixed it all together well. Then I spooned out my popcorn grain(PESA strain). I mixed the grain in as well as I could. Here are 2 pics of the manure/spawn mix.
Upload
Upload

4.I then wrapped cling wrap around the top and taped around the jug. I poked holes with a fork. Then I took a black garbage bag and unfolded it but didn't open it. This way it is darker. I then wrapped the bag around the whole jug and used a loose band to keep the top together. I set it on top of my refrigerator. I did this because I didn't want to put it in my incubator with my other healthy jars in case it contams. And I figured the kitchen is the warmest room in my house and on top of the fridge should be ok. Lets hope it goes well. I figure 1 quart of grain to 1 quart of manure and some vermiculite should be plenty of spawn to make it colonize fairly fast.

10-14-04
Today I spawned another quart jar of popcorn(PESA strain) to the stall manure that was done in the oven. This time I used a tupperware bowl, sterilized of course. I kind of regret using that bowl because it had some scratches in it which may contribute to contams but we'll see. Its all in the name of science and experimenting. This time I also covered the popcorn spawn with a little bit of manure over the top. Here are the pictures.
Upload

And this is a picture after I wrapped the black grabage bag around it to keep it dark. I like this its like its own incubator.
Upload

And this is 2 days after on the pasture manure spawn in the milk jug. Looks good so far! No sign of contams and growing well.
Upload

Now my only question so far for the pros is this, on that water jug manure/spawn can I case it as soon as the top is colonized or do I have to wait until the whole substrate is white? My guess is that the manure will keep colonizing even as it is cased and fruiting. Is this a wrong assumption?

Thanks to all who have helped me with input and giving me knowledge. I know this may be a dumb experiment but I'm having fun and learning a lot. I am going to use the manure the correct way after it is done composting/drying outside.

CptnMaxMushroom (Captainmax)
Username: Captainmax

Post Number: 363
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 03:15 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It really doesn't matter what the outside air temp is when composting. We usually cover the compost pile with some straw for a bit of protection but mainly its a chemical reaction inside the pile that heats it up. It can be cold outside but dig into the pile and it's steaming hot.

www.sporelab.com
Visit the SporeLab
It's a trip you'll never forget!

Intermediate Member

Post Number: 62
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 05:33 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the heads up on the weather. I decided not to cover it because it has rained the last couple of days and I thought that rain water could help it a little. I'll cover it tomorrow to help steam it. Thanks Captain!

Intermediate Member

Post Number: 80
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 03:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well just for an update. It has been 1 week since spawning the popcorn quarts to the manure. They are covered with heathy white mycelium and I will be casing them tonight and putting in a pmp grow chamber. I'll take pics as soon as I can and I'm hoping it'll pin as expected! I thought that since it was fresh manure I may get contam problems, but I have not seen any signs of contamination as of yet. I'll update with pics soon! Thanks for all the help everyone gave me on using manure. Peace 2 U!

Post Number: 106
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 04:04 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well these aren't quality pics or anything but they have been in the ter. for a little more than a week now. They are growing well and looking to pin. My temps are a little on the low side 67-69* so I think thats slowing pinning a little. And I'm using perilite which I think is making the humidity a little high. They are getting lots of fresh air though and have a few knots forming now. I'll update when I see some pins. I'm hoping for some monster size fruits to come from the manure. Peace Ya'll!
Upload
Upload

Soliver (Soliver)
Username: Soliver

Post Number: 1610
Posted on Friday, October 29, 2004 - 09:17 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn Freak- I dunno how I've missed this thread,
sorry we haven't gotten back to you sooner :-)

quote:

Now my only question so far for the pros is this, on that water jug manure/spawn can I case it as soon as the top is colonized or do I have to wait until the whole substrate is white? My guess is that the manure will keep colonizing even as it is cased and fruiting. Is this a wrong assumption?

Ideally, you'll wait until it's all colonized before
casing, as the uncolonized portions will be prone
to contamination. When growing in jugs, you'll find
that you get fruits all around the block, as the
translucent plastic lets light through and causes
the myc to pin all over the place.

When I started w/ casings I used jugs too, and found
that for the most part, they pinned everywhere except the
top - your mileage may vary.

WalMart has black seedling trays super cheap, about
six by eight inches - hell, anything made of solid
plastic (not clear, etc) works great - whatever you can find
that will fit in your incubator / terrarium, etc...

The perlite is overkill for casings - the extra moisture will
hurt your fruits, slow pinning, etc.
All it needs is a container and 3x / day fanning and
occasional spraying as needed (you'll get a feel for it
when you do it for a while :-)) about once a day.

Let us know how it pans out!

soliver

Post Number: 113
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 04:25 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Soliver! I appreciate your experience!
I was thinking the perlite was too much too. I'm going to remove it and just mist the sides of ter. for humidity. They both have their hyphal knots so I'm hoping for pins anyday now. They did better than I thought they would. I covered the jug with foil so light couldn't hit it through the sides. That should keep pinning to the top, I'm hoping. As soon as I see pins I'll be posting the pics! It takes a little longer when spawning to the manure, but I hope the fruit size makes up for the extra waiting I have to do. I don't mind waiting anyway. I have been fanning about 5-6 times a day now. Lets hope for some pins this week! Thanks for all the help everyone gave me on my project! I appreciate it and my fungus appreciates it!

Soliver (Soliver)

Post Number: 1620
Posted on Monday, November 01, 2004 - 10:00 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-)

Post Number: 117
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 02:33 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I took Solivers advice and removed them from the perlite. I covered them with cling but not air tight, just layed it over. Low and behold I find this.
Upload

This is the pasture manure and it has about 10 good pins coming up. It was spawned 2 days before the stall manure so that one should pin anyday. It has lots of knots. Thanks for everyones input, advice and help. I'm glad I could utilize the fresh manure without waiting for it to dry out or compost. It saved some time and taught me a lot. Now I can use some of the composted manure I have to see if there is any difference between the fresh and composted varieties. If I don't notice a difference I'll just use this method to use fresh. And I can honestly say that I have no manure odors or smell of any kind that it is putting out. In fact it smells very mushroomy, just like it should. I'll post the pics when they mature. I'm going to try to clone a nice one to some karo to see how it goes. I need to work and learn more on that. I hope this thread and experiment helped someone somewhere! It helped me learn a lot about using other substrates and what the fungus needs. Peace and happy funging!!!

Soliver (Soliver)

Post Number: 1625
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 09:21 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats :-)

Change out that cling wrap every couple of days
to maintain a clean house & you'll be set -
Don't spray the baby pins - just let 'em grow.

Post Number: 121
Posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2004 - 11:05 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soliver, thanks for the heads up! :-) I didn't know to change the cling, I'll be sure to do that. I never misted these becuase the humidity was so high in the begining. I hardly ever msit my casings for fear of saturation. If I'm careful with them I can hope for maybe 3-4 flushes? I hope so. I am going to spawn a jar of Hawaiians tonight to a manure straw mix to see how they grow. I love this hobby!!!!

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 27592
Posted on Friday, November 05, 2004 - 01:40 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmm,
so much for the theory that a little bit of sawdust would cause total failure.
archive material
we need more stuff on manures, imho

Namaste

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 27593
Posted on Friday, November 05, 2004 - 01:42 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I covered them with cling but not air tight, just layed it over

might try wax paper instead next time
it breaths a bit better still allows light in too

Namaste

Post Number: 129
Posted on Friday, November 05, 2004 - 02:27 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Hippie! Yeah I was reading about the wax paper so I will give that a try next time definitely! They are both pinning now. The pasture manure is covered with beauties and when they mature I'll post pics of them. Yeah the sawdust wasn't detrimental to it at all. I think manure is a great substrate to spawn too, it just makes you wait a tad longer but I think the fruits pay off compared to the wait. Hopefully some nice mature pics in a few days! Thanks for all the help I got! And I have to give a good word to Roger Rabbit for he is oh so correct in saying they can fruit and pin at temps under 70. That is what took a little while with these were lower temps but they did pin! Thanks for the knowledge!!!

Soliver (Soliver)

Post Number: 1635
Posted on Friday, November 05, 2004 - 10:24 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

the theory that a little bit of sawdust would cause total failure

Funny - I've never heard of that one.
Pretty much all my horse shit comes with sawdust mixed in it -
The stables I get it from sprinkle the sawdust on the
turds between stall cleanings to keep the odor down,
sorta like kitty litter.

I bet it's easily 1/5 sawdust - big chunky kind too.
I asked and they said it's mostly pine sawdust from a local
mill - they get it for free so they can save the hay to feed
the horses.

go figure - I never really thought about it too much,
but it certainly hasn't hurt my casings one bit :-)

Post Number: 140
Posted on Saturday, November 06, 2004 - 12:08 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soliver, at the beginning of th epost I believe Ima_Funguy said it would be bad. When I would clean my horses stall as a kid my dad always bought these big bags of woodchips that were thin and kind of big. They help keep the stall dry more than control odor, we used lime underneath the woodchips to control the odor. Some barns use straw in the stalls but woodchips and sawdust are cheaper. I think the sawdust only helped the mycelium. I have a much better pinset on the stall manure with the sawdust mixed in. But that could be my casing making too:-). The size of the pins alone are two times that of my regular casings. Quite amazing, I think I'll use manure as often as I can!!!

Post Number: 152
Posted on Tuesday, November 09, 2004 - 11:50 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay I harvested the first flush today off of the pasture manure that is in the water jug. It was 210 grams wet. Not bad and nice size fruits. So it was almost a month from spawn date. I know my cooler temps. slowed it considerably also.

Here is a photo of the jug on 11-7.
Upload
Here is a photo from today, 11-9.
Upload
Here is a photo of the stall manure from 11-7.
Upload
And today 11-9. Can't wait to harvest this!!!!
Upload
Here is a pic of the harvest. 210 grams wet. Look for Abe!!
Upload

Lookin' good and now I have dinner!!! :-)

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 27839
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 12:44 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pretty pretty
ya done good there buddy.

thx for confirming that,
solly,
we figured as much
you know how it is,
folks who don't know giving bad advice
until real data sets the record straight.
in fact
we'll archive material this thread
in an area about sawdust/manure just to ensure we have the right info in the future

Namaste

Rio (Rio)
Username: Rio

Post Number: 682
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 02:14 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome mushrooms!
Please contribute your story, poem, black & white artwork....to the book I am writing about this community. See more information in General Discussions. Everyone will remain anonymous I will use your user name or an alias you pick out.

Post Number: 154
Posted on Wednesday, November 10, 2004 - 03:44 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys!!!

And I am so glad I saw for myself that the sawdust or any other stuff in there mattered, like grass, hay, horse hair, grain. It was off of fresh manure too. So I can't wait to try the composted manure to use as comparison. Thanks for all the help I got and suggestions. I would encourage the spawning to manure type substrates as it really does grow em bigger. It doesn't have to be bulk either, that is just a quart of manure, a quart of popcorn and 2 cups of verm. I'm hoping for more flushes!!! :-) I had a good day!
One last question, now that I am waiting for the 2nd flush would it be okay to go with the wax paper cover?
Peace and happy funging!!!!!