I need a good humidity tek Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Fungi Forum / Misc. Noteworthy threads I need a good humidity tek Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

johnny rocket (Cfunkymunk)
Posted on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 02:27 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey fellas i need a good tek to create humidity .i want it to be inside the tub and im tired of fucking with perlite. i saw something in the archives with a pickle jar a fishtank heater and an airstone. is this worth a shit or no?

Imok Urok2 (Imok)
Posted on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 04:32 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can seal the top of the pickle jar and just use the heat
with the heater in it or you can leave it open at the top
and get the double effect of heat and humidity.
You need to refill the jar as the water evaporates so
the heater doesn't become exposed to the air and overheat
causing it to fail.
Hope this helps :)

Posted on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 02:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ive had such a problem with contams that im now using the chronic tek. its a pain in the ass keeping temps at 76 for the proper humidity in the quarts. i got the quarts in a sealed tub and im thinking about supplementing the tub with humidity via the pickle jar tek.i have the quarts on a rack so i got about three inches below the quarts for some device or something or i can always put a pickle jar on the rack with the quarts. maybe ill throw some perlite in ,im just shellshocked from contams. i really want to come up with an easy contam proof way of getting spore prints from full grown mushies to keep my neglect tek op in full swing.any help would be much appreciated as this is the only place in the world where i can ask this question without poeple looking at me like im from outer space. also im worried about water droplets dropping on to the cake from inside the jar would you think i could paint it with vaseline (bottom(top))or maybe use a layer of vermiculite on top of the cake to create a buffer zone.

Eyebooger (Eyebooger)
Posted on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 03:48 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check this out, it is a little beauty I picked up the other day:

Humid

It stands about eight inches tall and really puts out the mist. I had it inside of my chamber on a timer. Now I've gone on to something a little more complicated (constantly tinkering) but it was only $25 at K-Mart!

Eyebooger (Eyebooger)
Posted on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 03:49 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh yeah, here are the specs:

Sunbeam® Personal Ultrasonic Humidifier

This humidifier is compact size so you can use it in your office, dorm room, even hotel room -- it only weighs three pounds. Unit can effectively humidify rooms up to 13' x 15' x 9'. Choose from high or low settings. One filling of the removable water tank lasts for 12 hours when on the low setting. Mist is lighted so you can see it working. Measures 8" H x 11 1/3" L x 6" D. UL listed.

Posted on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 09:38 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looks nifty man

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 11:48 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i do much the same eyebooger, right inside my grow closet.

aldous schenk (Aldous)
Posted on Thursday, November 14, 2002 - 10:48 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For me, perlite was always a disaster: messy and microbe prone. I now use soaked and drained Leca Stone (also known as hydrokorrals), a fired-clay pebble that holds and transpires water. I line my aquarium (10 gal) with four quarts of this, and it humidifies as well as perlite without the mess. It's reusable (simply wash with a bleach/water mix, then rinse thoroughly) and lasts forever. You can find it at any hydroponic supply house.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 03:01 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how expensive is it ?

cowshitblues (Cowshitblues)
Posted on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 08:55 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hydrokorrals hmm same stuff i got going for my new setup design.. i think i got 50lbs//47ltrs..for 40.00 dollars...but everything is expensive where i live so im sure its cheaper than that

aldous schenk (Aldous)
Posted on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 10:26 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check this out:

http://www.futuregarden.com/shop/10-1009.html?id=U8PR2PrW

8 quarts is more than enough to humidify a 10 gallon aquarium for 10 bucks, and the stuff lasts forever. Looks cool, too. This is the same stuff they use in those "hydrapods", and I swear by it.

Posted on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 10:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how much(inches)would you put in a rubbermaid. i think ive seen it in a hydroponic setup before.reddish brown balls just smaller than marbles.right?

Posted on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 10:50 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

would it hold moisture or do you have standing water on the bottom.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 06:00 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i beleive he said about 2 inch depth in another post.

cowshitblues (Cowshitblues)
Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 10:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i got about 2inch with i inch of water and 2 10inch bubblers in the water.. just a tester got some flat whole cooked rice W/worm casings... a whole cooked rice pint, and a few pf's in there humidity is great i poked a few holes on the sides close to the hydro,, it looks like i wont need to fan much, but i still am...

bin bom (Bindegal)
Posted on Saturday, November 16, 2002 - 11:18 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use Leca and it works fine. I have also use Oasis(the green type) cut i 1-2 cm. plates at the bottom of my grow chambers, it work to allmost as god as Leca.
Now I use 2-3 cm. of Leca and aquarium-pump and it works great for me.

Imok (Imok)
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 01:46 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material to grow chambers

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: