Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Cloning. Myc clone grab photo essay Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

1dumbmyco (1dumbmyco)
Username: 1dumbmyco

Post Number: 383
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2004 - 05:51 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After some discussion in chat I decided to post a quick easy photo enhanded guide to foaf's myc cloning tek. Yesterday the jar was prepared via Hip's 5 minute microwave tek found here:
http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/127085.html?1081303707

The 1/2 pint jars were prepared as above with 2 tsp of the clear karo per 100ccs spring water from grocery. It worked several times in the past...we will see in a week or so if it does again and a jar lid band was used as no rubber bands were found on the floor. Be sure to have plastic wrap and rubberband/jar lid band right there to work quickly.

A work area was prepared....everything toolwise used is in the pic except strip of foil with mushie stem, karo jar, latex gloves already on hands, the peroxide used later and the disinfectant spray used earlier to prep room. Oh yeah, the printing cap wasn't used it just snuck in the pic.
Upload
Tweezers, knife, counter and foil strip were wiped with alki. After harvesting specimen and removing cap for print with sterilzed scissors, it was placed on strip of sterilized foil:
Upload

2 slices were made with sterilized knife across the stipe near the top:
Upload

Another was made vertically, this was shot post grab to keep nasties at bay for the rest of the tissue extraction, he wanted to work fast:
Upload

Some people use exactos and cut pieces of myc out from inside the stem. Tweezers were used after spreading the stem walls to grab myc from "only" inside the stipe of the specimen. Just grabbed some myc and ripped leaving filamenty ends and placed immediately in the peroxide bottle's cap with a splash of peroxide in it. Sorry no pics but this mammal only has two arms so taking a shot..no not a shot of vodka tho it might help, is impossible.
Upload
Upload
FIZZZZZZZZZZZ
The chunks/strips of myc, 3 total in this case, were allowed to fizz for about 5 seconds, as the inside of the stem is relatively sterile prior to opening and work was completed quickly during contam vector moments. This method of peroxidating myc tissue is well documented by Rodger Rabbit and works like a charm.

Band lid from jar was carefully removed and the now bluing chunks were slipped into jar via small opening in plastic with same tweezers and band lid tightened. A rubber band around the wrap and jar is preferred as it's quicker open and drop but what was used was available. Bluing disappears in a day or so and the myc bits whiten up nicely. You can't see the myc as macro is as useless as tits on a boar hog with the digicam used here.

Upload

I hope this helps some who are starting the islolation game so they can get those nice fat fruits with interstellar travel over and over and I will post progress shots as needed. Much credit goes to Hip, RR and many others for this method, with some minor and sometimes foolish adaptions added for the glovebox/flowhood challenged 'topians. Any comments, improvements and questions are welcomed and was posted in Fungi as it isn't a grow log. If it belongs in Pics and grow logs, mods feel free to move it. If it is useless feel free to delete it.
Edited for some pesky typos I noticed after posting, feel free to point out others if you are a grammar/spelling teacher.

(Message edited by 1dumbmyco on October 15, 2004)
All posts are for microscopic purposes only.

CurryShroomer (Curryshroomer)
Username: Curryshroomer

Post Number: 366
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2004 - 06:41 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice pictorial 1dumbmyco (no Dumb Myco) ;)
So you can see the myc growing out again? That's good news. It seems like a nice shroom to clone. On what substrate did it grow when you picked it?

Btw. Try not to use fluorescent light when you make a picture (the same goes for PJ lol). If you manage to get a regular light bulb into that room your pics will not have that greenish color to it. That will improve the pics a lot... But other than that the pics are great so is the write up!

Curry :-)

1dumbmyco (1dumbmyco)

Post Number: 385
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2004 - 07:16 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This was the nice SA shroom last night preveil breakage off hip's mycrotek.
Upload
Just a nice looking fruit which he wanted to preserve the genetics. Another isolated SA substrain done this way is doing wonderfully in a small casing on it's fifth flush now.
The pics were shot in a room with a regular light bulb and I thought I had the digi adjusted for tungsten light which worked in the past in that room of his. It may have gone back to daylight mode. Faof has done this method several times with great success but we will have to wait to see what this one does as myc won't start to grow noticeably in the jar for a day or two. I am no photographer by any means, just a dumb mycophage that likes to share what he can. Tnx for the comments and I just wanted to help some folks who have been asking questions in chat. Now I can just link when it comes up again.

Rio (Rio)
Username: Rio

Post Number: 106
Posted on Friday, October 15, 2004 - 07:17 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome! Going to try this,
you really simplified it!

1dumbmyco (1dumbmyco)

Post Number: 413
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 07:39 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am trying to get some shots showing the recovered myc and the rhyzos and fluffiness surrounding em today at faof's place but the cam just sucks. On a side note, tissue sample from the same place on a cracker dry EQ was done the same way the next day. It whitened up some overnight and is showing growth too. You might not get half a jar full blobs of myc but chasing the small snotwads with a syringe is part of the fun with this hobby. One hole through the plastic top on the jar and move syringe tip near/into a blob and suck some move to another without removing syringe suck up another wad and so on til you have what you think is enough. 1 cc of myc water will knock up a pint of grain nicely or a couple brf jars if you do cakes. 5-10 ccs is usual yield from a jar like this.
One word of caution...
test the syringe on a brf jar and watch for contams for a few days before going crazy with that grain you steeped, soaked, rinsed and drained for more than a day and PC'd for 90 minutes just in case! Wipe that needle with alki, flame it and squirt a dab to cool after every jar of grain or hole on brf jars. Hopefully some decent pics to follow as I have another friend with a better digi so we can all see the myc blobs in the jars. And some pics of extracting the li'l buggers including ghetto syringe sterilization and storage. Sound good folks?

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 4101
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 08:44 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's best to tear the stem from one end to the other, rather than cutting into it with a knife. When you cut into the stipe, you drag contaminants from the sides into the middle. Tear it in half like a piece of string cheese to expose the clean flesh inside.
"Whatever it is, that girl put a spell on me". . .jimi hendrix