Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Non Cubie Shrooms Shiitake Nonsense Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Taoist Shredder (Taoistshredder)
Username: Taoistshredder

Post Number: 1594
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 01:50 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I ordered some plugs from Oyster Creek, BlueCat's recco.

Made PF MAX jars as stated works best by BlueCat, knocked up a week and a half ago.

Each took one plug right down the center, though the verm layer (had to remove the lids to do this).

They all had nice pretty sploches on the bottoms of the jars and looked very rhizomorphic, but the sides looked a little bit more like cobweb, so I was concerned.

They're all almost totally white - I came to discover that the mycelium was sort of just stretching really thin and ended up thickening as it spread out.

I would highly reccomend some people try this, I figure 24 PF shiitake cakes will last me quite a while.

Hopefully they'll brown in the near future so I can get more excited.

BlueCat, if you're out there, I love you man!

Sadly my 48 cubie jars contamed down to about 12, so I'm having better success with a slightly more difficult fungus (from what I've read...though I must say this was really really easy).
Your memories of the past
Are no more real than
Your visions of the future

bluecat (Bluecat)
Intermediate Member
Username: Bluecat

Post Number: 57
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 01:09 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

glad to see you trying this.the myc. starts very thin, as you've said,then thickens to look like rubber.nothing could be easier,and the oyster creek spawn is very aggressive,and will fruit well.expect 6 to 8 weeks at room temp.if you've kept them in normal room light,you'll see plenty of browning.the myc. will take over the verm barrier too.good luck.i'm sure you'll have good success.post some pix.i recently had a shitake grow to 59 grams on a cake.one more thing, keeping the brf down to just over 1/8 cup helps keep them from being sticky in the bottom of the jar. enjoy.

Post Number: 1603
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 02:50 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Groovy. I was actually beginning to worry because
it was starting to look a bit shiny...but now
that you say rubber that describes it perfectly.
Do you birth when they're all white or wait until
they brown over? I've had two contams so far -
freak occurances of a black and a green mold - but
I'm excited about the rest of the 22.

As far as recipe goes, you're saying take 1/8 cup
BRF to 3/4 cup vermiculite? Still 10 mL over a
half cup of water (PF MAX), or more?
Are no more real than

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 27016
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 01:19 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can you plz post a few pix ?
very interested in edibles on cakes

Namaste

Post Number: 1609
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 02:42 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I shall see what I can do - the jars are all nice and white - my grow room is totally empty so I'm going to bleach-bomb it today and hopefully restart it tomorrow or the next day. I want it as clean as I can get it (duh). Still don't have a camera, I'll have to talk to SporeStarter...
Are no more real than

Kommandar (Kommandar)
Username: Kommandar

Post Number: 13
Posted on Monday, October 18, 2004 - 06:27 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will shiitake work on grain as well?
And as far as spawning to wood, there's that "Table top (Kitchen top?) cultivator" FAQ with pictures. It talks about pasteurizing wood fuel rather than sterilizing it for spawn substrate. Which is better with shiitake, given how long they take to colonize--pasteruize or sterilize the wood? Thanks guys!

Kommie

bluecat (Bluecat)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 58
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 10:43 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

if you keep them in normal room light the whole time,you will see lots of browning.lately i've been keeping them in the dark for about 5 weeks,then into normal room light.this keeps them more white for the first flush.i wait to see some real invitro in at least 1 jar,then i birth the whole case.within a week they will all fruit.better to be patient and wait for invitro signs.if you birth too early they will get dry,and you'll have to dunk them.after first flush,let them sit for a few days,then 24 hr.soak in non chlorinated water.a good recipe is 1/2 cup fine verm., just over 1/8 cup brf (call it 3/16 cup brf),and 1/4 cup water.mix real well,and keep it fluffy.i like regular mouth jars better than widemouth, so i can fit 12 cakes in a 10 gal. tank.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 27122
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 04:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

if you keep them in normal room light the whole time,you will see lots of browning.lately i've been keeping them in the dark for about 5 weeks,then into normal room light.this keeps them more white for the first flush

hmm,
that's interesting
does light play any role with shittake
as it does with cubensis ?

Namaste

Jesse James (Spacecowboy)
Username: Spacecowboy

Post Number: 718
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 12:47 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The shiitakes I tried on wood cakes back in May just fruited as the cold october weather set in, although the one I did PF style fruited in about 1.5 months.

The reishis I did at the same time are still growing and I am starting to see signs of sporulation, as sponge like gills are appearing.
(Sorry if I strayed off topic.)
If it's not broken, then the government will try to fix it until it is.

ima_funguy (Ima_funguy)
Username: Ima_funguy

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 01:03 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try growing shitake on a 50/50 mixture of bran and hardwood sawdust placed in a myco-bag and pc'd or autoclaved. "Softer" hardwoods like poplar,aspen birch etc. colonize much faster than "hard" hardwoods like maple or oak.

Sawdust should be fresh not dried. I save the sawdust the chainsaw leaves behind when cutting firewood. A person could also chip or mulch small diameter branches.

Fresh shitake caps stuffed with shrimp, crab or lobster...yummmmmmmm! My favorite.

fucgubarn fucgubarnov (Fucgubarn)
Username: Fucgubarn

Post Number: 380
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 06:52 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"if you birth too early they will get dry,and you'll have to dunk them."

this happened to some of mine earlyjars,
think also have invitro pin,only one still,
do you have a pic. of an invitro pin?
and these:
http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/131975. html?1080578017
still have them,
they are alive but no fruits still

Post Number: 1638
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 11:16 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's the story with temperture drop? I have read a little about dunking and cold shocking, but not a whole lot, any answers would be good. The drop needs to occur, I know, I'm just not sure how I'm going to do it and how low I should go.
Are no more real than

bluecat (Bluecat)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 59
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 07:26 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes,light makes a difference.jars kept in the dark will only show a slight browning.if they are left in room light,they will have LOTS of brown.without light the fruit are very light colored too.by the second flush the cake will be all brown, and the fruit will be darker.cold shock is not needed.normal room temps are fine.they work year round.between flushes,i always soak 24 hours in the fridge.to keep contams down.if you were using a strain that didn't want to fruit,cold shock might help,but with oyster creek or other aggressive fruiting strains,it's not needed.i'll dig up some good pix of invitro pins.since the cakes get very bumpy you want to wait to see some "fleshy" looking stuff.after you've done it a few times,you'll know the real pins.

petri dish (Petri)
Username: Petri

Post Number: 216
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 03:59 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could someone please post a link to Bluecat's previous post on pf cakes? This is cool!! I think I will start some if they do well as cakes. Also, Fucgubarnov I am impressed with the supermarket clone! Did you use peroxide with that cloning?

(Message edited by petri on October 22, 2004)

Post Number: 381
Posted on Friday, October 22, 2004 - 05:55 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no,used PDA,
just made several transfers from petri to petri to clean it up

petri dish (Petri)

Post Number: 217
Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 01:44 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice! Did you have any contams show up, or were you just being cautious?

Post Number: 383
Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 06:50 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

actually i always have contams when putting a piece from a mushroom on a petri ,
sometimes on the first transfer also (second petri),
after third petri all should be clean,
strange but never had success clonning Amanita,
always melts and always hit by one and the same white bacteria

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 27220
Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 12:57 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Could someone please post a link to Bluecat's previous post on pf cakes?

http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/27244.h tml?1084272367

http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/153950. html?1092598342
http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/143224. html?1087318451
http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/148388. html?1090424187
http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/138877. html?1090551239

Namaste

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 27221
Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 12:57 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material

Namaste

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 27222
Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 12:58 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/41759.h tml?1070390254

Namaste

petri dish (Petri)

Post Number: 220
Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 04:58 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you very much Hippie. I use the search engine and archive a lot, but it's no substitute for someone who is so familiar with what is here.

bluecat (Bluecat)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, October 26, 2004 - 11:51 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here's a pic of some invitro shiitake growth.often it will look more like the usual brown cap protruding.notice this cake is very white.it was in the dark the whole time.when i see this in 1 or 2 jars,i birth all 12 jars,and off they go.Upload