Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Invitro [MycroTeks] Invitro Texans Previous Next

Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

mycos eleusis (Exshroomer)
Username: Exshroomer

Post Number: 1509
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 12:44 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Inoculated 8 jars, 4 weeks ago today.

One of them was given to a good friend , along with 9 other empty jars and some Vermiculite to start him out.

So now there are 7: 2 are in the lead with fruits, one that has just started pinning, and 4 others between 98 and 75% colonization. That's because anywhere between 1 and 3 holes on those jars wouldn't germinate...it was a Tex print from sometime last year, so that figures.

Here are the leading 2 this past Friday night.
Upload
And two views of them this morning.
Upload

I may not pick these for a few more days, to let the baby pins catch up and grow on the other side of the cake.

These Texans are showing their signature red caps, very yummy looking. Makes me think of the darker caps of the PF Classics in a way. (The light in the room makes the caps look orange-ish, but they're actually the darker shade of red)

Python (Python)
Username: Python

Post Number: 1218
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 12:57 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's just a hobby that i picked up in the lobby.........

Rio (Rio)
Username: Rio

Post Number: 207
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 02:07 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yummy!

Post Number: 1510
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 05:07 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are! I ate some of 'em over an hour ago...tomorrow's a day off, so why not?

Most of them are short shrooms. I ate four of the Medium/Smalls, and there were masses of little pins grown together that come right off the cake in nuggets. I ate 1 one those

So far, no stomach problems, and the trip is nice. "Up", but mellow at the same time. I've had a body buzz since 15 minutes after eating them, which is now turning into a "Warpy" feeling all over my body. Some pressure in the temples.

Visuals are just starting, and it seems like it's gonna be good, so....I'll be back

Rio (Rio)
Username: Rio

Post Number: 213
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 05:13 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have a nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phungi (Phungi)
Username: Phungi

Post Number: 116
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 07:18 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what is your secret to geting such nice pins in the jars?

pscillypj (Pcsillypj)
Username: Pcsillypj

Post Number: 493
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 07:31 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nnniiiiccceeee!!!
invitro rocks....
i just have to try the
texans..lol:-)
"I hear colors and see sounds"

Post Number: 1512
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 08:15 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"what is your secret to geting such nice pins in the jars?"

Well, first I've always been lucky enough to have a good fruiting strain to start with. So far I've done PFCs, Cambodians, "Blue Meanie" Cubensis, and now these.

Light from inoculation day on is key.

So is air exchange.

You don't need to use tape on your jar lids while they colonize, but my need for stealth and where I have the jars at doesn't match up well enough to trust the sterility during colonization, so I keep the tape on until they're 100%.

I take it off and flip the jars. And when the pins are big enough that I don't have to worry about disturbing them when I remove the glass, I do that and let them have a few minutes of air. Then the glass goes back on.

This time, I even removed the vermiculite layer from the jars sometime between when the 2 pics were taken.

Unnecessary and not quite Neglect Tek? Sure. But when you've been doing it long enough you learn to tweak things to fit your circumstances.

12-24 hour dunks between every flush, at the end of which I swizzle a little bit of bleach into the dunk water, give them all a nice shake and let them sit for no more than 15 minutes. Then rinse them off under cool tap water, pat dry, and put back in the jars.

This can make them go for about 3-4 good flushes, your second one being as good as or better than the first, and then it drops off and dwindles from 3rd flush on, IME.

Post Number: 1513
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 08:26 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and it's been 4 hours since I ate those.

Very nice, I just need to eat more next time though. Maybe 5 or 6 medium sized ones, no more than 5 of the biggies. Those pin-cluster-blobs that I peeled off will be dried and used for tea, since I cut them close to the cake, thus getting pieces of verm on them.

I didn't eat enough to get what I consider to be a full trip. But I like the feeling from these. All 4 of the strains that I done had different effects on me, these Texans being similar to the PFC buzz. The Cambos made me sleepy.

Of course, there are all sorts of factors that contribute to the quality of a trip, but the effects that I pointed out were consistent, every single time I ate them.

Phungi (Phungi)
Username: Phungi

Post Number: 117
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 11:46 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

though I dont plan on doing invitro I do want to have some nice pins before birthing.

Sounds like this time around I need to find a good way to light my incubator with out adding heat, or having to think about it.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 27140
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 12:14 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

need to find a good way to light my incubator with out adding heat, or having to think about it.

i think
since incubation is all about heat anyway
one who planned to grow invitro
would do well to construct an incubator
that uses a light as the heat source

Namaste

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 27141
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 12:15 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mycos,
i notice that all of the fruitbodies
seem to be on one side of the cakes
could that be the side that gets
the most light ?
might do better if light came
from both sides ?

Namaste

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 27142
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 12:16 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

what is your secret to geting such nice pins in the jars?"

Well, first I've always been lucky enough to have a good fruiting strain to start with. So far I've done PFCs, Cambodians, "Blue Meanie" Cubensis, and now these.

Light from inoculation day on is key.

So is air exchange.

You don't need to use tape on your jar lids while they colonize, but my need for stealth and where I have the jars at doesn't match up well enough to trust the sterility during colonization, so I keep the tape on until they're 100%.

I take it off and flip the jars. And when the pins are big enough that I don't have to worry about disturbing them when I remove the glass, I do that and let them have a few minutes of air. Then the glass goes back on.

This time, I even removed the vermiculite layer from the jars sometime between when the 2 pics were taken.

Unnecessary and not quite Neglect Tek? Sure. But when you've been doing it long enough you learn to tweak things to fit your circumstances.

12-24 hour dunks between every flush, at the end of which I swizzle a little bit of bleach into the dunk water, give them all a nice shake and let them sit for no more than 15 minutes. Then rinse them off under cool tap water, pat dry, and put back in the jars.

This can make them go for about 3-4 good flushes, your second one being as good as or better than the first, and then it drops off and dwindles from 3rd flush on, IME.

nice detailed personal tek
that others can imitate
archive material to texans/strains

Namaste

MeatWad (Meatwad)
Intermediate Member
Username: Meatwad

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 12:52 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I need to find a good way to light my incubator with out adding heat"
I use a dimmer switch on my light, I use my light to control incubator heat, works out well :-)

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 27155
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 01:04 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

did you know that one can even submerse a lightbulb in water and heat the water by turning it on ?
as long as it's kept constantly underwater so it doesn't heat up too much like it does in open air.
of course
it goes without saying
that one would never touch the water
if current was flowing...

Namaste

Post Number: 1514
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 10:56 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"mycos,
i notice that all of the fruitbodies
seem to be on one side of the cakes
could that be the side that gets
the most light ?
might do better if light came
from both sides ?"

I'm not sure really. What they're in is a translucent plastic yellow bucket. The light in the room goes through it OK, and I take them out for light for at least an hour every night, with all the lights in the room on.

And there's actually plenty of pinning on the other side, it's probably just that those shrooms were the first and fastest to grow, and they all happened to be on that side of the cakes.

philemon (Philemon)
Username: Philemon

Post Number: 245
Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 04:56 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just a regular lightbulb?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 27218
Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 12:49 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that will suffice, yes.

Namaste

Tumbz (Tumbz)
Username: Tumbz

Post Number: 284
Posted on Sunday, October 24, 2004 - 05:17 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Texans kick ass
Note: Tumbz is a fictional character from my imagination.

Post Number: 1519
Posted on Monday, October 25, 2004 - 07:25 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update! :-)

First, here are some shots of the one jar I gave to my friend to start him out right.

Upload
Upload

It looks like he may have the same thing happen as I did:

Having a few biggies come up first, before the flush really begins, like.....

Upload

Left and Middle: The same 2 jars as in my first post here.
The pinning on the left one is more spread out.

The one in the center though is same as before: pins on only one side of the cake.

The one at right started pinning no more than 4 days ago,
and should be ready in 2 more days.
A better pinset on that one, obviously.

The other 4 jars are not worthy of posting...yet

4 weeks and they're still anywhere between 70-95% colonized, due to one or more innoc points not germinating.
Actually, one of those 4 is now 100%, but no pinning yet.

I guess that's what happens when you're unable to store prints in a cool place.
Where I have them is about room temps or a bit less.

That's all for now.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: