Busst's No PC, No contam honey tek! (... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Liquid Culture: Karo/Honey/Dextrose Q&A Busst's No PC, No contam honey tek! (lots o pics) Previous Next

Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through November 29, 2004Busst (Busst)psycho naut (Xochipi25 1 11-29-04  04:41 pm

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Busst (Busst)
Advanced Member
Username: Busst

Post Number: 86
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 07:30 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nah, they have tyvek filters, like so:

Upload

i think the reason for no streaks was because i only used 1cc, a jar, and i shook immediately? i dont know. i dont think air flow will be a problem though with the tyvek?

http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/2/171103.html?1100367101

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 29198
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 07:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nope, shouldn't be.
shaking will still be a bitch once the mycellia spreds a bit

Namaste

Busst (Busst)
Advanced Member

Post Number: 88
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 07:37 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah man, i totally miscalculated the amount of wbs, it was only 3/4 full before i cooked them, it was after the simmer, so i didnt think it would get much bigger. I already tried shaking, there is NO room, so i guess im just gonna have to wait for it to go by itself i guess. Next time im only gonna use 1/2 or less lol.

1dumbmyco (1dumbmyco)
Username: 1dumbmyco

Post Number: 583
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 10:31 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A very gentle rolling shake may help loosen some up just make sure you don't hearing it clanking on the lid and you may be able to spread the myc some in a few days. Circular arm movements with the lid level, tough to do and spread it much, but can be done safely. Wait to see how it does without messing with it tho.
All posts are for microscopic purposes only.

nomoreusmc (Nomoreusmc)
Intermediate Member
Username: Nomoreusmc

Post Number: 72
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 08:00 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

rolling might work, but I'd do it in your glove box just in case you have to frplace thoose filters

Sweetness (Sweetness)
Username: Sweetness

Post Number: 3685
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 09:13 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need to eat more Egg Drop Soup. Nice write up.

Now lets get those pics resized.

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. Yeats

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 29346
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 02:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think i'd be very cautious about shaking in plastic jars, squeeze those flexible walls too much and you'll suck in air.

Namaste

SOUL (Spirit)
Username: Spirit

Post Number: 113
Posted on Friday, December 10, 2004 - 11:45 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey ive done the same thing even down to the min and the containers ha who could have thought another great mind was work on the same concept.
also been tring to get the brf to work in the nuke but it dries out have you suceeded in this area too

Busst (Busst)

Post Number: 118
Posted on Friday, December 10, 2004 - 08:04 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nah, cant say i have tried nuking PF substrate From what i gather from what you said, i can guarantee you are a smart, and beutiful person :-)
the stoop kids afraid to leave the stoop!

12monkeys (12monkeys)
Username: 12monkeys

Post Number: 35
Posted on Friday, December 10, 2004 - 08:25 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Busst, by the looks of your quote, you are a fan of the Nick (Hey Arnold! quote I believe)

Nice to see this working so far but I was worried about the honey contianer. You left it sealed while it cooled to room temperature. Wouldn't there have been a pressure drop inside the container as the air cooled? If so, when you inserted the needle outside air would have rushed it to fill the void. It may not have been much and you could have avoided contams this time but I believe that consistent, contam free karo or honey jars would still need to be innoculated in a glove box or at least poke the needle through an alcohol drenched cloth that is on top of the containers lid. Whew! Sorry all for the rambling.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 30114
Posted on Friday, December 10, 2004 - 09:23 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

he had a tyvek-filtered hole in lid
so no pressure problem

Namaste

Busst (Busst)

Post Number: 119
Posted on Friday, December 10, 2004 - 09:58 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i lysoled before sticking the needle in, and the needle was still an airtight seal. i didnt put tyvek on the first jar i took this pictoral with, and it worked good, it was still a vaccuum after sticking in the needle, lysoled before sticking, and before pulling it out, after taping, the vaccuum still remained, i can tell cuz the cover like dips into the container. When i used the jar to nock up my wbs, i still heard the "gasp" of air, when i sucked the stuff up. again, i lysoled before and after sticking, and nocked up another honey jar w/ that live myc, and it grew it out good. My original is still sitting in the fridge. seems to still be contam free?

also, if u think the lysol isnt good enuff, you could do what the docots do when giving u an injection, like you said. Soak a cottonball in alcohol, put it over the spot, and stick the needle through the ball, and then slide the ball w/ tape over it... but im fairly confident that .000000000000001 second of that needle sized hole being open, is only open to freshly lysoled air.

(Message edited by busst on December 10, 2004)

Busst (Busst)

Post Number: 120
Posted on Friday, December 10, 2004 - 10:01 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and yea, i love that cartoon lol!

12monkeys (12monkeys)
Username: 12monkeys

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 12:24 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right on. I hope you have excellent, repeatable results. I'll have a take on the karo or honey tek in the future. The one time I tried it, the mass of mycelium was next to impossible to draw into a syringe. A marble in the jar didn't help. I was thinking of using a blender's blade assembly on top of a jar like is done with cloning and when the mycelia has grown out, the blender would easily break up the clumps. Downside is that it would have to be done in a glove box and my blender couldn't be used the entire time the jar is incubating. Worth a try IMO.

Busst (Busst)

Post Number: 122
Posted on Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 01:06 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ultrasonic, baby! hit up the sex lube thread :-)

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 30121
Posted on Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 01:18 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/2/175585.html ?1102704933

Namaste

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: