Sclerotia and Rye berries (grain)... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Non Cubie Shrooms Sclerotia and Rye berries (grain) Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through November 23, 2004Demus (Dark_reaper)elgr (Elgr)25 1 11-23-04  04:29 am

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

elgr (Elgr)
Username: Elgr

Post Number: 110
Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 07:21 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mine have only become whiter. They now look like pint and quart jars of milk :-)

Maybe I just picked a good substrain?

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 4511
Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 08:11 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 'a' strain is a lot whiter than the jalisco, which almost looks like cobweb.
"Whatever it is, that girl put a spell on me". . .jimi hendrix

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 29039
Posted on Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 01:48 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

care to post an updated pic so we can better see ?

Namaste

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 29040
Posted on Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 01:49 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material

Namaste

elgr (Elgr)

Post Number: 119
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 12:07 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here you are hip. This is as of a few days ago. Looks better than ever.

Upload

MojoRisin (Rocketman)
Username: Rocketman

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 12:39 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a question about sclerotia production, can you knock up a rye grain jar with a spore syringe? If so, how much inocculant per jar should one use? I need an idea so I know how many jars per 10cc syringe to order. All responses are appreciated.

elgr (Elgr)

Post Number: 121
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 03:42 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, yeah, you can

You could do 10 jars with that syringe

Or you could innoculate agar or karo, and do many more jars. These spores are just too expensive in my opinion to waste.

And btw, that yellowness on the jar(s) is from some glue or tape that was on them ages ago. (they were bought at a salvation army type store)

Soliver (Soliver)
Username: Soliver

Post Number: 1717
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 09:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From my experience with Mex A, those yellowish spots
should slowly turn into sclerotia that push against the
jar and look all kinds of funky weird :-)

we'll see . . . keep us posted :-)

elgr (Elgr)

Post Number: 128
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 11:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hehe, except for the fact that they're tape marks on the outside of the jar :-)

That'd make it even more impressive though :-)

Busst (Busst)
Advanced Member
Username: Busst

Post Number: 98
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 11:35 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YOU COULDNT JUST TURN THE JAR WHEN U TOOK THE PIC?! AHHHH!

MojoRisin (Rocketman)
Username: Rocketman

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 - 11:43 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the response Elgr. How many grams per jar do you usually end up with? I am sure it varies, but an average would be helpful.
Thanks agian.

elgr (Elgr)

Post Number: 129
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 12:05 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First time mojo.

Busst. That was the best angle I could get for that particular jar. Believe me, I turned each one until the picture would be as perfect as possible :-) The one that was on the right is now on the left. The one in the middle is now on the right.

PS: I would like the answer to mojo's question from someone else though :-) Average yields per pint and quart? And your preferred dosage of course..

(Message edited by elgr on December 02, 2004)

elgr (Elgr)

Post Number: 130
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 01:04 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry for post-whoring. Can't edit after a few minutes.

I innoculated some quarts not pictured about a week ago, they look more like you described rodger like:

http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/134893. jpg I'll have some pics soon of my own.

But, it was the same substrain, one was just from the source agar dish, and these new quarts are from liquid, maybe they'll still thicken out.

Anyway everyone, do you allow air exchange, or cut it off? As you can see I'm using tyvek, just with the innoculation point holes in the lids. Also, I used no coffee, no lime, just water. I used the simmering tek to get the water level right, and then PCed.

Post Number: 4568
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 01:39 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should be able to edit for 420 minutes. Just click the box with the check mark in the upper right corner of your post. It will usually prompt for your username/password again.

If you would like anything changed or deleted after that time, just ask one of the moderators to take care of it for you.

My personal method with sclerotia producing species is to place one or two drops from a spore syringe on the center of a petri dish. When it germinates and begins to sector, cut a small piece of each sector and transfer to new dishes. When these grow out for two to three weeks, some will begin to make sclerotia right on the dish. These are the substrains to transfer to grain. I like to stab a piece of sclerotia and move it to another new dish. When that dish grows out it can inoculate ten grain masters with the isolated sclerotia producing substrain. This ensures your work pays off for you. You want to leave two or three injection sized holes in the jar lids. If you made more than that, tape over them. The filter goes on the outside, away from the grains. The filter must stay totally dry at all times or bacteria contamination will ruin your project. Each of those grain masters can inoculate ten more. This way, within six weeks of spore germination, you can have one hundred jars colonizing with an isolated sclerotia producing strain that has been proved on agar. Always keep a small piece of agar to move to another dish or test tube for refrigerated storage. This protects your isolated strain from senescense.

I don't speculate on weights to expect. However, with an isolated strain and grains hydrated with coffee, you will consistently be able to grow out a quart jar of rye berries, and after 8 weeks or so, empty it out to separate the sclerotia from the grains. You will get half a jar of sclerotia for each full jar of rye berries. That's a better biomass producer than any mushroom I know of.

elgr (Elgr)

Post Number: 131
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 07:25 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grr.. promised myself no more posting to this thread today.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0 /Number/3420598/an/0/page/0/gonew/1#UNREAD

in this thread there is some very fluffy white growth.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/files/04-49/196078 239-mold.jpg

in that pic we see that its infact a contam, someone suggested cobweb.

Do you think this could be what I have? they look healthy but in reality, they've been doomed for awhile? they are in a rubbermaid container. no noticable odor or anything. no discoloration of any sort but. that second pic could look a lot like mine if wedged back in a jar.

Post Number: 4571
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 11:54 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The pictures you posted above do not look like they have cobweb mold.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 29409
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 12:07 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/files/04-49/196078 239-mold.jpg

in that pic we see that its infact a contam, someone suggested cobweb.

that pic IS cobweb
but your jars look ok,
i've seen mycellia get milky like that b4.

Namaste

elgr (Elgr)

Post Number: 136
Posted on Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 09:10 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm starting to think of the possibility that I simply injected a contam into these jars. Wouldn't that be hilarious?

http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/2/174352.jpg

Thats what I used to make the culture syringe.

These jars have been fully colonized, like seen, since november 20. No sign of sclerotia yet. Something seems quite wrong with all of this.

Post Number: 4649
Posted on Sunday, December 05, 2004 - 11:17 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sclerotia should be forming at full colonization, if not before. Bang those jars against a tire to break up the grains. Then, take a smell through the filter of the freshly broken up material. It should have a very strong, but pleasant fresh mushroom smell. If not, toss them out. I've seen bacterial contamination make the mycelia look very white and creamy like that. The smell test will tell for sure.

1dumbmyco (1dumbmyco)
Username: 1dumbmyco

Post Number: 595
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2004 - 01:35 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2 more questions er uhhh may be 3 RR and Sol if you don't mind:
1..The 5 jars my friend has have been incubating at first in the 75-80 range and there is nice growth in about 10-20 % of the jars after 4 days. Do you recommend a lower 70ish incubation at this point? Growth is scattered from a myc syringe and a rolling shake with myc noted at the bottom, middle and top.
2... He used polyfil, should it be sealed with tape to inhibit moisture loss during the months of sclerotia formation or is that an issue? I understand the mexi A's strain defense against a dry envron is what makes it special like other sclerotia forming varieties of tropical fingi.
Bonus question....should an entire jar of myc and sclerotia be used to spawn peat verm mix for fruits or just areas with good myc and sclerotia formation be used as spawn for, hopefully, a flush for fresh prints?
Thanks and I apologize for hijacking the thread for my friend's knowledge.
All posts are for microscopic purposes only.

elgr (Elgr)

Post Number: 137
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2004 - 01:44 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't bang them against anything.. but, they smell slightly fungusy, and much just like the rye seed did before, to a lesser degree I suppose, but yeah, mostly like seed.

I wasn't only considering that the jars were contaminated, but the possibility that I was growing contams solo, which will be the most embarassing thing I've done in a while :-)

Anyway, whether its contammed or not I've decided that its too wet. Its either so wet its just nasty in there, or so wet that its wet spot. Either way, they're seperate now, and I'm still going to wait and see what happens. Never had a contam of an incubating jar.

Any chance that the mycellium will bruise blue at all at this stage if I beat it up a bit? thatd be neat.. :-(

I'll post some pics of the newer quart jars, so you can see an earlier stage. With these I simmered, and then loaded the jars, and kept them upside down for 24 hours, a ton of water drained out. (never did this before.. so all that water was trapped in the jar). Then pressure cooked of course and innoced last wednesday.

RR (Skyypilot)

Post Number: 4652
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2004 - 02:14 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

70-80 is great for colonization. No need to go above or below that range.

You want no more than a couple of very small holes in the lid. These can be sealed with filter disks or polyfill. If the whole jar is open with only polyfill, it will dry out for sure before the sclerotia is finished. Two or three 1/16" holes is all you need. Use the metal lid, with the filtering material on the outside, away from the grains.

To fruit, let the sclerotia fully form. This will be anywhere from six weeks to two months. Break up a whole quart and drop it into a small pan. Dump in the rye and the sclerotia-just empty the jar. Add 1/2" of peat/verm casing and sit back and wait. They usually begin pinning within a week or so.

I've never noticed mexicana mycelium bruising blue.

elgr, best to follow one of the established rye teks to prepare your grains. Rye berries should be drained and tossed in a collander to get them totally dry on the outside before loading jars.

Rye grass seed should not be simmered. Use twice as much seed by volume as water. Put a solid lid on the jar and shake well. Take the solid lid off and replace with a lid with a filter. PC as normal.

elgr (Elgr)

Post Number: 138
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2004 - 03:21 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, this advise was coming from an experience sclerotia producer who simply simmers as you would other grain.

This may in fact work perfectly if the simmering is done for the right amount of time. Unfortunately, thats too hard to tell. I sacrificed one jar to inspect the mycellium closely. It doesn't look or smell like a contam, just normal mycellium. however, the grains simply gush when you squeeze them.

elgr (Elgr)

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, December 06, 2004 - 03:51 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are a couple pictures. The first is of a new one that I drained the water from a bit. Looks lighter and fluffier. These are quarts

Upload

The second is just another of the original batch, in quart form.
Upload

elgr (Elgr)

Post Number: 144
Posted on Tuesday, December 07, 2004 - 01:22 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update: One of those first three was contaminated with lipstick mold.

elgr (Elgr)

Post Number: 151
Posted on Friday, December 10, 2004 - 06:28 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm certainly no cobweb expert, but I'd say this is cobweb... right?

Upload

RR (Skyypilot)

Post Number: 4730
Posted on Friday, December 10, 2004 - 08:09 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not cobweb, but does look like mold.

elgr (Elgr)

Post Number: 153
Posted on Friday, December 10, 2004 - 08:17 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I've been growing this crap all along. Great.

RR (Skyypilot)

Post Number: 4732
Posted on Friday, December 10, 2004 - 11:34 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would suggest learning agar work. That way, you can isolate a good sclerotia producer before you waste time on possible non fruiting/producing strains or contamination. A good strain of mexicana will be producing sclerotia before the mycelium even reaches the edge of a petri dish.

elgr (Elgr)

Post Number: 156
Posted on Saturday, December 11, 2004 - 07:27 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it looks like its getting whiter and fluffier. Thats good. H2O2 didn't phaze it a bit, and I just dripped some straight out of the bottle onto an area.. so if its mold, its not cobweb.

Anyway, if it is my, i think I might have a bit of overlay?Upload

rodger (Skyypilot)

Post Number: 4755
Posted on Sunday, December 12, 2004 - 12:16 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't look like any mushroom myelium I've ever seen before. What's it smell like?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 30256
Posted on Tuesday, December 14, 2004 - 01:17 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have seen cubensis do similarly on rare occasion
i think there's a parasite living on your mycellia

Namaste

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: