Archive through October 23, 2004 Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Misc Teks & Questions Vision's Laundry Basket Tek Fruit of my labor 3 Archive through October 23, 2004 Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

mycolord (Mycolord)
Username: Mycolord

Post Number: 571
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 01:55 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok folks....as promised..here is my first attempt at straw and grain.

on the left is a straw nugget with 2 qts of TC rye
on the right is a longer mini log with also two quarts of TC rye, originally they were both going to be this long but i condensed the nugget to give me a better chance of at least one of the logs surviving. i have high hopes and believe both will do fine.
:::
Upload

ok so being as this is my first time...i put these lil guys on a metal shelving system. do i need to put them in a greenhouse thing (i dont have one) or some type of terrarium..or tub...

from what ive read some people just let them alone on a shelve with low traffic. and they do fine

thanks..and any tips would be appreciated.
myco

as always ill keep you posted

**i just wanted to add, straw is annoying lol....at first at least....

i was cutting it by hand and QUICKLY got a blister on my finger and it busted open...so i went out and bought a weedwacker and cut that stuff up in a tub reallllly fast. much easier that way.

is there any real rule to storing this excess straw? right now i have it in a trash bag...will it rot or get moldy or something?.maybe i should poke a few air holes

(Message edited by mycolord on October 13, 2004)
ground control come in
ground control come in
this is the guy that can fly-where the fuck am i?

Tumbz (Tumbz)
Username: Tumbz

Post Number: 256
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 02:00 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn Mycolord.

Your moving so fast.

On to straw already!

I hope this yeilds you MAD MUSHIES!

Cant wait for the results.

Tumbz

Note: Tumbz is a fictional character from my imagination.

Raebis (Raebis)
Username: Raebis

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 05:45 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

**i just wanted to add, straw is annoying lol....at first at least....

i was cutting it by hand and QUICKLY got a blister on my finger and it busted open...so i went out and bought a weedwacker and cut that stuff up in a tub reallllly fast. much easier that way.

ROFL

keep it up, bud, u r an inspiration to newbs everywhere! (like me)

Yogi (Yogi)
Username: Yogi

Post Number: 481
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 06:59 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

best straw chop way I know is to use a leafblower/mulcher. just feed it in and it chops it perfect and shoots it into the bag.

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 4027
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 12:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The straw will store just fine as long as it's totally dry.

The logs look good right where they are. Just drape a piece of plastic loosely over them after birthing.

I'd suggest running a humidifier 24/7 in the room where they sit. That will help enormously.
"Whatever it is, that girl put a spell on me". . .jimi hendrix

Shroomzhilla (Shroomzhilla)
Username: Shroomzhilla

Post Number: 727
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 12:40 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I toss it on the ground and mow it up into my mowers bag, dump and mow a second time.
I dig chicks that drag their knuckles

mycolord (Mycolord)

Post Number: 583
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 12:51 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

well i dont have a humidifier as of now, i also use the same air space to hang dry my harvested mushies before putting in the dessicant chamber..so it wouldnt work out good. how about i drape some plastic over the whole bookshelf? what is the downside if i dont humidify the room.

also..i plan on just buying two greenhouses and doing the pvc setup with a coolmist and having it on a timer to just mist for a minute every couple of hours...to keep the hum at about ...80ish.

im tired of tubs....lol they are engulfing my whole room. i feel like im on a BATTLESHIP gameboard..they are set up in weird ways with paths for me to walk between. i need to grow UPWARD not across anymore....plenty of room upward

the room dropped in temp to 69 degrees..so now i see lil water droplets inside the logs..im assuming from diff in temp...ill take better close up pics of them later as growth starts. i didnt cut + slits but just - slits across the whole thing...2 inches apart square.....my knife would just push the slit in when trying to achieve the second cut. i think enough air exchange will occur though. (hopefully)

ground control come in
ground control come in

mycolord (Mycolord)

Post Number: 584
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 04:17 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

some close up pics of the logs.

too much moisture? think i should cut more slits? or will it be aborbed?

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

thx
myco
ground control come in
ground control come in

mycolord (Mycolord)

Post Number: 586
Posted on Wednesday, October 13, 2004 - 04:30 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok ive read and read and learned that water droplets are fine in the logs....now all i have to worry about is my CO2 levels....my slits are about 1/4 inch - 1/2 inch in length spread out about 2 " apart all around. think i should lengthen them? or will it "breath" just fine..

my concern is making them too large and the log drying out.

myco
ground control come in
ground control come in

mycolord (Mycolord)

Post Number: 615
Posted on Saturday, October 16, 2004 - 11:25 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

**update****
been three days....so far so good..nice whiteness showing..

the lil nug is going faster cause i crammed two qts into that lil guy...

take a gander:
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

ground control come in
ground control come in

Tobynutz (Tobynutz)
Username: Tobynutz

Post Number: 317
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 01:57 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lookin nice!

Tumbz (Tumbz)
Username: Tumbz

Post Number: 264
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 02:09 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice update!
Note: Tumbz is a fictional character from my imagination.

1dumbmyco (1dumbmyco)
Username: 1dumbmyco

Post Number: 397
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 04:01 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks great, esp. the nuggets, and am envious of your space to work. I see some myc slithering around in the big log so don't give up!
All posts are for microscopic purposes only.

Taoist Shredder (Taoistshredder)
Username: Taoistshredder

Post Number: 1602
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 12:58 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. You're gonna' have some monsters. Nice work, good plans, keep it up.
As for me, I'm still orbiting the planet...never got a call back from the tower...
Your memories of the past
Are no more real than
Your visions of the future

mycolord (Mycolord)

Post Number: 617
Posted on Sunday, October 17, 2004 - 02:28 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah im wondering how those lil guys are gonna fruit considering how much spawn i stuffed inside them....

is it a waste of spawn to use it in such a way ? being that there is not enough straw:spawn ratio?
or will i still yield the same just more concentrated.

you should see a comparison of the nugget vs two qt containers....lol not much bigger in size...i really compacted the hell out of that lil guy.

im hoping to yield at least an ounce to three ounces off of each
heres hopeful thinking
myco

oh and taoist....this is ground control come in
ground control to taoist.
over
keep orbiting, and keep us posted
ground control come in
ground control come in

mycolord (Mycolord)

Post Number: 653
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 07:40 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*update*
more pics before the sun went down totally...looking whiter and whiter by the day...gimme another ten days or so and hopefully ill have some PIN pictures to show you.
Upload
Upload
this is a closeup of the larger log
Upload

ground control come in
ground control come in

PeOpLeCanFlY (Peoplecanfly)
Username: Peoplecanfly

Post Number: 418
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 11:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wouhaa pretty nice job dude!!!!
im a french dude writing my posts in english some of my expressions or sentences may not be all correct :P thanks for your comprehension

1dumbmyco (1dumbmyco)

Post Number: 417
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 11:08 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice looking rhyzos in the close up! Sweet and I am pulling for ya! Am I welcome for pizza sometime? As you know I love homegrown edibles on pizza so just give me directions and I will bring the booze.

p4rty_cl0wn (P4rty_cl0wn)
Username: P4rty_cl0wn

Post Number: 7
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 11:09 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You've convinced me to do some log experiments this season, i didn't think i was ready but _damn_

nice work -p4

mycolord (Mycolord)

Post Number: 659
Posted on Tuesday, October 19, 2004 - 11:20 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

damn right your welcome bro....hell youve helped me a ton with a lot of questions in chat...two slices of pizza each and we will be toast.

feel free to shoot me a message anytime man, i can give you directions to a party no problem....hell we go to vancouver like ridder and hid lol.

party....ive been growing for two months..and believe me when i say this..if i can do it anyone can. seriously..anyone
thx for the comps
myco

ground control come in
ground control come in

1dumbmyco (1dumbmyco)

Post Number: 428
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 09:06 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

he said toast LOL.....hell we go to vancouver like ridder and hid lol.

party....ive been growing for two months..and believe me when i say this..if i can do it anyone can. seriously..anyone
thx for the comps

Good idea My'Lord on the Canada trip...wish I had the funds would like to hook up with those folks and ride my mountain bike there too.
Upload
I propose a toast LOL. July 1 was the start here in Buenas Noches and faof is starting on straw now too. Just get some pftek or better yet mycrotopia jars to fruit to think like myc. if starting out.
Partyclown, not sure of your progress in the hobby, but have some tasties for your favorite meal on hand before venturing too far is my best advice. Better to contemplate some disasters on a full stomach and open mind then to have mold and bacteria growing with no food in the pantry.

CurryShroomer (Curryshroomer)
Username: Curryshroomer

Post Number: 399
Posted on Wednesday, October 20, 2004 - 11:14 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks nice :-). Well shaped...

Rio (Rio)
Username: Rio

Post Number: 206
Posted on Thursday, October 21, 2004 - 12:25 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice Rhyzo mycelium!

mycolord (Mycolord)

Post Number: 679
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2004 - 12:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

heres a question. in my straw nugget. at the end of the log where it comes to a knot. there is an airhole. and at that airhole there looks like there may be a DOT ..i mean a DOTTTT of green..very small like if you took three grains of pepper and put it together .

if this is the case and it turns out being the green monster, what are my options.

the log is totally covered in white and bumping and knotting like crazy. if we go by the "15 days till pinning" generalization then i am 5 days away.

what ive come up with is to watch the green and see what happens. if it starts to grow quickly im going to have to open that end and make an incision and amputate that area (and i remember someone talking about putting salt over an amputated area?>?>have to read up on that), hoping the exposure doesnt ruin the nugget. if it grows slowly ill do the amputation after the log gets birthed.

my concern is that the green is going to grow inward where i cant see it and kill the guts of the log.

suggestions are always helpful
myco
ground control come in
ground control come in

mycolord (Mycolord)

Post Number: 680
Posted on Saturday, October 23, 2004 - 12:45 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

**update***
heres a few pics...this is of the regular sized log...nice bumps and knotting:
Upload
Upload

and here is a few pics of the nugget...you can see by my finger where the slit i cut opened justttt slightly....but like i said the green (if it is that) is so tiny you cant really even see it in the pic. the discoloration of the straw to a brownish color is becuase the slit let so much air in that area..that the myc actually has grown inward..its odd..but the rest of the log looks great to me:

Upload
Upload

ground control come in
ground control come in