Do-it -Yourself Microboxes! Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Gloveboxes & Flowhoods. Do-it -Yourself Microboxes! Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Busst (Busst)
Intermediate Member
Username: Busst

Post Number: 53
Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 05:31 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i just love taking pictures of the stuff i'm doing and showing others! well heres what you need:

1 quart plastic containers
Masking tape
Post office tyvek, or any other filter stuff you goy
Razor blade
scizzors

Upload
Upload

Take the cap, and cut out a square of it w/ the razor blade, not too big:

Upload
Upload

Now cut out squares of tyvek, preferably from the folds, because it is suggested to use a double layer of tyvek for the best filtration.
Upload

Now tape the squares of tyvek over the hole in the covers with the masking tape. And there you have it, homemade microboxes. A pic of the finished product:

Upload
Upload

1 Quart microboxes to do what you want with. Im gonna prolly do some popcorn hydrated with diluted coffee, and see how it goes. The reason i chose to use these, is that i can stab the syringe right though the plastic, and then tape it right away after pulling it out, rahter then piercing the tyvek. Also they are reuseable, just replace with new tyvek! woot woot!

GOLLY (Golly)
Username: Golly

Post Number: 233
Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 07:28 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks good !.... would u fully seal those lids in the PC or leave em cracked ---Just wondering if the pressure can be released through the filter patch...

Busst (Busst)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 54
Posted on Saturday, November 13, 2004 - 10:37 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

according to mushmush.nl, which is the place that sells the original micrboxes:

"Microboxes,
These polypropylene containers come with a tight fitting lid. The lid contains a filter but this filter does not allow rapid venting of steam. Therefore microboxes should never be sterilised with the lid closed. Closed lids will result in deformation or other damage to the jars.
The container is filled with rye and grain then the lid is put on loosely or closed for 3/4. One 1/4 of the lid should always remain open.
The boxes are capped with a double layer of aluminum foil. As soon as the boxes come out off the cooker their lids should immideatly be closed."

Busst (Busst)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 55
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 06:01 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bah, couldnt get my hands on popcorn, but got wildbirdseed! good enuff, huh?

pscillypj (Pcsillypj)
Username: Pcsillypj

Post Number: 569
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 08:57 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that will prolly work out...
but tyvek filters seem to
dry out the substrate faster
then other filters...IME
god luck....

"I hear colors and see sounds"

drwombatt (Drwombatt)
Username: Drwombatt

Post Number: 330
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 04:33 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting tek Busst, Can you post where you got the containers and how much you spent?

Busst (Busst)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 57
Posted on Sunday, November 14, 2004 - 05:56 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i got them from the chinese takeouts places, its what they use for soup and shit. cheapness. If you want to get an assload, or dont got a chinese food place, u can order them from :

http://www.containerandpackaging.com/subtype.asp?i temtype=Tubs

Busst (Busst)
Advanced Member

Post Number: 82
Posted on Friday, November 26, 2004 - 09:50 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Upload
baby yes, the WBS IS COLONIZING! woo woo!

when do you thinks a good time to shake?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 29168
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 02:33 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

should not have filled those so full
if you intended to shake.
careful,
those walls are flexible
so don't squeeze the sides.
i frankly would not try shaking those,
i think you'll have to let them finish
like a cake.
btw, i'd have made that hole in the lid smaller too, tyvek can dry the upper layer of grain quickly.

Namaste

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 29169
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 02:35 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

btw,
my mycrotek uses the same type of containers
lightweight and cheap too.
about $2 for a dozen,
beats glass eh ?

(Message edited by admin on November 29, 2004)

Namaste

chefpjb1 (Chefpjb1)
Username: Chefpjb1

Post Number: 41
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 02:40 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those containers actually held up in a PC? How long did you have them in the PC for?
I can get those by the cases at work
Tell me what you eat and I'll tell you what you are.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 29174
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 02:42 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i've PC them an hour-and-half before.
the jars can take it fine as long as they are kept away from the metal sides of the pc.
the lids aren't quite as sturdy
and often get a bit brittle after pc'ing.

Namaste

sugnuf (Sugnuf)
Username: Sugnuf

Post Number: 10
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 07:54 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your using these larger plastic quarts for invitro hippie?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 29206
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 07:57 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no,
same source though,
same material.

Namaste

Busst (Busst)
Advanced Member

Post Number: 91
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 07:58 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah man, i love these plastic containers, i use them for everything!

Psilovia (Psilovia)
Username: Psilovia

Post Number: 49
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 08:57 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hiya, a little question about this kind of plastic container. I read somewhere that you should get plastic with a 5 in the triangle arrows (the code for type of plastic recycling). I see a 4 on one of the lid in the photo. Does the code-4 survive the PC too?

nomoreusmc (Nomoreusmc)
Intermediate Member
Username: Nomoreusmc

Post Number: 65
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 05:14 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's the recycle code

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 29254
Posted on Tuesday, November 30, 2004 - 03:45 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I read somewhere that you should get plastic with a 5 in the triangle arrows (the code for type of plastic recycling). I see a 4 on one of the lid in the photo. Does the code-4 survive the PC too?

the lids are not quite as tough as the jars
but they survive, if a bit brittle after.
not really re-useable tho',
although the jars themselves are.

archive material to containers

Namaste

Busst (Busst)

Post Number: 101
Posted on Thursday, December 02, 2004 - 11:54 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Upload

whoot whoot! how much longer, ya think?

Ramen Cowboy (Synth)
Username: Synth

Post Number: 207
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 12:10 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

probably a couple weeks.. maybe more. if you could shake (but dont risk it), it would be done in a week

drwombatt (Drwombatt)
Username: Drwombatt

Post Number: 349
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 04:04 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just wondering Busst is that your fractal WBS? if so the growth looks good. I've never seen any fractal done.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 29542
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 02:21 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's gonna take awhile to finish on the bottom

Namaste

Busst (Busst)

Post Number: 102
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 07:27 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, thats the fractional sterilization that i was talkin bout in the chat. i guess im doing okay for someone w/o the #1 most important tool in the business, a pressure cooker :-)

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 29658
Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2004 - 03:02 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

went the fractional route eh ?
how many times over how many days ?

Namaste

Busst (Busst)

Post Number: 104
Posted on Saturday, December 04, 2004 - 05:12 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1st boil half hour, next day 2nd boil half hour, 3rd day 3rd boil 1 hour, 24 hours apart each boil... seems to work good i guess

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 30463
Posted on Sunday, December 19, 2004 - 03:38 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

these ever finish up yet ?

Namaste

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: