automated set-up discusions Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Gloveboxes & Flowhoods. automated set-up discusions Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Automated setup discussioncowshitbluescowshitblues15 1 11-18-02  05:40 pm

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Jade GreenDreams (Jade)
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 05:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey all..

for the past few weeks ive been wanting to do some sort of automated setup (a big one).. ive read through all the archives and there is def good stuff in there although i really would like to do soemthing different.

ive tried to get some idea's from the way the hydropod works unfortunately everytime i find a link to its inner-workings i find it has been removed. so if anyone has that info, get in touch with me please..

other than that i just thought it would be neat to start a thread where anyone else interested could toss around some ideas.

basically looking to make something new thats:
1, fully automated
2, somewhat large scale but still in personal use range
3, cheaper than buying a 200$ 'magic bucket' lol
4, aestetchitly pleasing if possible
5, something that involves hepa filters.. trying to go ultra sterile here.

something that caught my eye is these domes they have on many hockey/soccer tables.. i clicked on the hockey supplier and they sell them for 199$$.. which is a rediculous price. ofcourse they supposedly are made from shatterproof plastic but still.. those have got to be cheaper somewhere else.. i havent found any such source yet but here is a picture:

hockey

i think it would make an awesome top!!

i could always try making my own hydropod--there are links around for where to get the dome etc.. but it would really be neat to make something a little different but with some of the same concepts..only more (like temp control, the hepa filter, & any other neat features anyone thinks of)-- any ideas??

btw this is in complete violation of one of the best rules of thumb: KISS.. keep it simple, stupid. however i think its time for a super-project

oh last thought--did dr c ever end up posting that super setup he was talking about not too long ago?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 05:15 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here's some info from shroomery on the hydropod.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Pictures&Number=522520&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Pictures&Number=522697&page=2&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Pictures&Number=523935&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=Pictures&Number=525531&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 05:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

also you might see
http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/12183.html?1028470442

Jade GreenDreams (Jade)
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 05:50 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol.. hip yer not gonna believe it but i do have that portable closet. ms martha stewart was kind enough to hook me up

anyways yah.. the hydropod does seem to get some nice yields. i would love to build my own. its not that i dont think he doesnt deserve the 200$ plus shipping for it, thats up for debate. but i tend to have more time on my hands than money & dont appreciate the finished product unless i helped make it :) altho i really would like to make something different..

interestingly enough that device thats shown in the 4th thread you posted is a little bit more along the lines of what i had in mind.

wongbater (Wongbater)
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 06:12 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a nice terrarium (wood frame with glass//sealed) in mind when I started and went to Lowe's to pick up supplies with my little bro. Carrying around armloads of expensive stuff, we happened to wander down the storage isle. That's when our eyes fell on the plastic wall cabinet. The one I got is about 2ftX2ftX1.5ft.($20), but they had'm in all sizes. Mine allows for two shelves that'll hold up to 8 cakes apiece or 4 breadloaf sized casings each (16 cakes or 8 casings if that's not clear) with plenty of room for a flourescent night light (Lowe's) for each shelf. Ultrasonic pumps into top shelf via modified 1-1.5" diameter hose and I'm now working on an air exchange box. It's very inconspicuous if you put a curtain in front of the humidifier and easy to seal. Just use silicone (not silicone based caulk!) on the joints and some stick on weatherstripping for the door (drip shields and some other mods help for door) Assembles in minutes. Maybe one day I'll borrow a camera so I can show some pics.

Jade GreenDreams (Jade)
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 06:23 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow that sounds really interesting. a picture of that would definately rack up more than a thousand words lol..

Jade GreenDreams (Jade)
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 06:37 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

heres some dome type things ive found:

withlid

weddingthing

j

? ? ? (Killdannow)
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 07:15 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that last one looks good, where did you find it Jade?

Jade GreenDreams (Jade)
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 08:07 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lemme see...

it says

Bakery Displays/Overstock

$43.50

1/4" Lucite Construction. Designed to resist the wear & tear of a grocery store.
16" L x 9 1/2" H x 10 1/2" D

We have a lot of these to clear out. E-Mail us for quantity discounts. Includes USPS shipping (mainland only)

its a tad expensive, tho it does include shipping. the link is here:

http://www.plastic-fixtures.com/4.htm

Jade GreenDreams (Jade)
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 08:09 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

personally i wish it came in a larger size...

? ? ? (Killdannow)
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 09:37 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah esp for that price. thanks tho.

Webby Doodle Doo (Webmycelium)
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 10:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

check this out

cowshitblues (Cowshitblues)
Posted on Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 07:16 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ive seen 5ft long domed trays.. go to your local food service supply company.. they got them for deserts and buffets.. much cheaper than most im sure...I did notice those guys in your pics hippie.. were using that staw tek they have posted on the site too.. nice spawn extention + some good looking cakes.. but what are your thoughts on putting some verm on top of those cakes.. or is that just asking for trouble. since it could fall into the hydrocorn

Visions (Visions)
Posted on Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 08:16 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pressure Grow Box
One thing I missed is you will need a screen in the drain plug so the perlite wont drain out...

Use Hand Sanitizer to sanitize your hands---Restaurant Supply

1) Fill your sink with water and add some bleach...

2) Put your spray bottles in the water...And 2 large bottles of H202...

3) Pre load the perlite...

4) Turn on fan...

5) Spray a bleach solution and wipe with paper towels to clean the inside and around outside arm holes...

6) Fill with bleach water to cover the perlite and let soak at least 10min...

7) Spray your Cake jars with alcohol and wipe with paper towels then put jar into box then unscrew lid and let the Cake rest on the lid...Remove empty jar...Repeat...Wet your hand with the alcohol as you are spraying your jars...

8) Try not to touch your cakes...

9) Once you put in your cakes...Use duct tape to tape over one of the arm holes...

10) Drain out Bleach water...Having one of the arm holes closed will help keep the pressure going out as the bleach water drains...

11) After it has drained pour in the H202...You can use bottled water instead but I would use the H202...

12) Tape off the other arm hole...Now the air will leave through the Air Lock...You can get an Air Lock at a Beer Brewing Supply$2...

Put your Fan on a timer and it won't need to stay on very long...

Now as your crop grows you can turn on the fan...Untape the arm holes...Sanitize your hands...reach in and pick your crop...and add more cakes as you go...

Posted on Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 09:15 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just wondering if one was to use hydrocorn in a hydropod system, how deep is that hydrocorn and how deep is the water? i figure most tupperware bins could be setup like that, but i don't know how deep both layers are..like one tupper on top of another the top holding the hydro corn with lots of holes punched and the bottom holding the water and airators, so to change the water all you do is lift the top one off and whalla clean water..ive seen this done with ebb and flow growing pot in tupperware containers..works good. don't know about mushies but ill let you know..

Ronald T (Hempwizard)
Posted on Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 11:17 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had those same thoughts about a week and a half ago and this is what I came up with.I took two identical clear rubermade containers which I am guessing the size to be about 24"x18"x8"tall.I am not using the lids that came with them.I took foam self adhesive weather stripping and put it on the top of one of the tubs so I can sit one on top of the other and get a good seal.I then drilled one 1/8"hole as close to the top of the bottom container as I could get it on each of the four sides.I cut and bent four pieces of coat hanger wire into c-clips to hold the two halves together better.In the bottom of the lower tub I placed two 16" bubblestone air curtains and in the center in between those I sat a 1 quart mayonaise jar.I then filled up the bottom tub with geolite rocks I got from the hydroponics store.I filled the bottom tub all the way to the rim.When you look down on the bottom tub all you can see is a bed of rocks with a round hole in the middle where the rim of the mayo jar is sticking up slightly.I then put an aquarium heater in the mayo jar and filled it with water and a little bleachalmost to the top.there is a t-connector hooked to the bubble stones so i would only have to drill one hole for the airline.I cut a small notch in the rim of the lower container for the cord for the heater then put the weather stripping over top of the cord to hold it in place.The cord notch and airline holes were then sealed around with hot glue.I then added about a little over a gallon of water to the geolite rocks.I then took a tupperware box about 6"x8" and mounted the biggest fish air pump I could find in it.I mounted the pump to the lid of the tuperware box and cut a hole in the bottom of it and mounted a vacume cleaner hepa filter to it with hot glue and a bit of silicone.I drilled a hole just big enough for the cord to fit through then I cut the cord and pushed it through the hole and sealed it with silicone.I then wired the cord back together with wirenuts and electrical tape.Before i mounted the air pump i removed the bottom of it so it could pump more air.I made a rheostat out of a light dimmer for the airpump so I can adjust the airflow if I need to.
After this is all together all you have to do is sit cakes directly on the geolite and seal it up and plug it in.The bubblestones keep fresh filtered air coming in and the small holes i drilled keep it from building up too much pressure but i kept them small enough so that there would be enough positive pressure to keep any contams from getting in.Because of the wic action of the geolite the water can get really low while still letting the cakes suck up all the water they want.The cakes get plenty of water,fresh air and humidity without opening it up constantly.I havent needed to use the heater yet but since it has a built in thermostat it shouldnt be hard to keep a steady temp.It will comfortably hold fifteen of the tall profile cakes I use and i could probably stuff a couple more.It is a very close copy of the hydropod only mine has a heater.The only thing I am not sure of is if i have enough vent holes but i am still in the experimental stages so time will tell.The cakes I put into it were already pinning strongly when they were put into it but they are now starting the second flush and seem to be pinning stronger and faster but it will take more testing to know for sure.If anyone has any more questions or comments I would be glad to hear them and if any of the mods have any tips on a optimum amount of air holes i would be thankful.Oh yeah, if any one wants to try this dont forget to steralize everything.I baked the geolite and wiped everything else with bleach water.Total cost is under 65.00 dollars and keep in mind you can clean and reuse the geolite forever.It was the most expensive thing.Thanks all and I hope you enjoy my hydropod clone.
Hempwizard

Posted on Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 12:00 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sounds good.. one question...WHERES MY PIC TO LOOK AT???... just playin but would be nice to see, but its cool..

Jade GreenDreams (Jade)
Posted on Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 12:37 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yah can you get some pictures of that

Posted on Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 02:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

those hydro pics. seem to be breaking all the rules.. grains,,straw,,uncased..so would i be able to use whole brown rice spawned with worm poo but back into jars to colonize then well put it on top of the hydrocorn??

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 02:15 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is going to be good archive material when it's done.
i'll dig some more up asap on hydropods, maybe i can get mc-man to even come explain his device in person.