My Setup & a Q. (warning lots of pic... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Secrecy & Stealth ; Privacy & Security. My Setup & a Q. (warning lots of pics) Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Patman2 (Patman2)
Username: Patman2

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 05:02 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SO this is my little apartment grow box.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
I keep all my noc'd up jars on the glass on top of the terrarium. I have been having a hard time getting my birthed cakes to fruit. I am growing amazon, with golden teaches to follow. I just picked my largest shroom today at a whopping 2 inches. Too bad it came out of one of the jars I left invitro. I have been waiting for my jars to get a good pin set like this before birthing.
Upload
But all I get is aborts. So obviously something is not right with the terrarium. I have a 1.5 inch layer of perilite in the bottom and a aquarium bubbler running for an hour every couple hours. Lots of the cakes are getting pretty fuzzy like this.

Upload

I remember reading somewhere what the fuzz meant but can't remember where I saw it. Does anybody have any ideas on whats going wrong? Also is it bad that the jars are getting light before being birthed? I can move them to a cupboard if need be. Thanks all for your help in advance. It has been pretty frustrating as all I have harvested since July when I started is about 5 grams of aborts.

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 4362
Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 05:47 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you're probably waiting too long to birth the jars. That's quite a shock to a growing fruitbody. That perlite looks very wet. Is there standing water? If so get it out. Your humidity will be highest with damp but not wet perlite. No standing water. You need a better temp/humidity gauge. I'm sure it's not -15C in your terrarium, and it doesn't look over 95% humidity either. Also, it's not causing the abort problem, but I'd get rid of the carpet around that box. Contaminant spores will stick to the carpet, then fly everywhere when you open the box.

(Message edited by skyypilot on November 18, 2004)
"Whatever it is, that girl put a spell on me". . .jimi hendrix

Phungi (Phungi)
Username: Phungi

Post Number: 144
Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 08:07 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aside from the few fualts that rodger mentioned, it looks like you have one hell of a nice set up man. I like it a lot. NICE WORK!

MiamiRaver (Miamiraver)
Username: Miamiraver

Post Number: 26
Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 05:26 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

impressive
Wait! Don't stop here,...this is bat country.

Ferry (Spacecake)
Username: Spacecake

Post Number: 267
Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 07:01 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice setup !
but...
I'll keep the carpet, if I were you ..for noise reduction and isolation !
Do you have a filter in front of the two fan's to keep out bacteria ?
And try to avoid spraying against the cake I think they are to wet !
What's your temp. ?

12monkeys (12monkeys)
Username: 12monkeys

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 07:44 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've heard that bubblers help but do not replace fanning of fruiting terrariums. Test out idea by fanning it out 2 to 3 time a day for about a week to see if any improvements are noted. If this helps, how bout another fan installed for the lower terrarium wired through a timer for intermittent air exchange. I'd put a HEPA filter cartridge or dust mask affixed to outside of fan and some sort of rubber or flexible plastic flap on the other side so air can get in when the fan is on and then the flap would seal off the terrarium when the fan shuts off.

I'm still a newbie on my first expedition into this wonderful hobby myself, so if anyone else seeing something wrong with my ideas, please let me know.

Ferry (Spacecake)
Username: Spacecake

Post Number: 272
Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 07:56 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

12Monkey... You CAN replace everything with a bubbler, I always use a bubbler and nothing more.
It's the way U use it ! every one has a different way to grow mushrooms !
But definitely use a HEPA filter with this one.

12monkeys (12monkeys)

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 11:35 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmmm, OK. Most of everything I "know" at this point is book, er, forum knowledge. Older posts archived here and at the nook suggested otherwise for terrariums. Nice to know it works for you.

12monkeys (12monkeys)

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, November 18, 2004 - 11:38 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Patman, why don't you take one of those cakes and put it into an inverted quart jar in the top chamber, a la Chronic tek. Would be interesting to see if this environment change would help.

Patman2 (Patman2)
Username: Patman2

Post Number: 20
Posted on Friday, November 19, 2004 - 12:13 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for all the great ideas.
Temp. is 70-72 F
I think I will have to finally spring for a nice hygrometer. Guess the $5 quick fix from Wal-mart just isn't cutting it.
I am gonna leave the carpet on cause it helps insulate the bubbler noise. When it running its not noticable above the humm from my aquarium filters. Plus its good apartment camo too. I usually throw all my work packs and jacket on it. You wouldn't even know it was there otherwise.
Gonna start fanning as often as I can. 2- 3 times a day if I can. Is that what causes the Fuzz? Poor gas exchange?
I think I will definately look aroung for a big ass jar. That would definately tell me if it was just the terrarium.
Great ideas everyone thanks.
I had seen a url here for an online source for good hygrometers can anyone remember it?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 28541
Posted on Friday, November 19, 2004 - 08:52 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.torka.com
nice stealthy set up there
archive material in fact

Namaste

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 28542
Posted on Friday, November 19, 2004 - 08:54 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the fuzz is harmless
i'd say you could benefit from applying a DE casing there,
plz see http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/2982.ht ml?1010683848

Namaste

HF (Highflyer)
Username: Highflyer

Post Number: 2679
Posted on Friday, November 19, 2004 - 09:01 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I've heard that bubblers help but do not replace fanning of fruiting terrariums.

I would agree. Especially for large terrariums such as this.

Very nice setup Patman. :-)
"I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way." - Robert Frost

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: