Increasing surface area or reducing y... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Fungi Forum / Misc. Noteworthy threads Increasing surface area or reducing yield? Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Izik (Therabbi)
Posted on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 04:21 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have ten one pint PF cakes and would like to do what I can to increase yield to an absolute maximun. I have been considering slicing each cake into two to five cakes in order to increase the surface area, but am unsure if that would do anything worthwhile or just make it harder on my shrooms. Any advice?
Also, how dangerous is it to fruit a cake which became contaminated if you first cut off the contamination?

fungusmaximus (Fungaloid)
Posted on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 06:22 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You want the most from your cakes you need to case em! trust me its worth it!

http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/1397.html?1010199538

If you are going to fruit it after cutting away conatm, first bleach dunk before putting it in w/ the rest of your fruiting friends.
Bleach Dipping
http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/10346.html?1027201701

Mikeofile (Mikeofile)
Posted on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 10:40 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Izik,

Casings can increase your yield, but since my experience w/casings has been less than successful (contams), I like your idea about cutting the cakes. You may want to check out Patrick's sliced flatcake tek. The idea was to increase the suface area by making a flatcake then cutting it to provide more edges, where the shrooms tend to grow. The pictures speak for themselves, and there's less expertise required than with casings. You can check it out here:

http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/4808.html?ThursdayNovember2220010506am

Good luck!

-Mike

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 03:36 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

flat cakes rock.

Visions (Visions)
Posted on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 05:42 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I resently cased some grains with unpasturized dehydrated manure...I had some grain jars that started producing lots of shrooms in the jars before I could use them as spawn...So I dumped them into an aluminum pan with small holes poked on the bottom...then cased...Put 1/4tsp bleach in a gal jug...used that to thoughly soak the manure and grains...I thought I would have a problem with the shrooms rotting under the casing...had hundreds of small shrooms...I didn't cover it...was left out in the open right next to my computer...I would sometimes water it right out of my drinking glass...I would poke at it with my bare hands to see how it was doing...Smelled it...Never got a contam!...Never smelled funny!...If I would have cased it before all the shrooms started growing in the jar the results would have been greater...

This is what a 3qt jars produced so far in one pan...40grams cracker dry
Shrooms in a screen
What does this tell you?...I will show simular results on a much larger scale in the near future...

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, November 15, 2002 - 05:51 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so, if i'm following you right, you basically watered the casing all along the way, as needed, with dilute bleach water, in open air, etc.
pretty nifty, althought you might have still been able to do the same without bleach, the bleach had no ill effects and possibly prevented potential contams. seems worthwhile, then.
how wet was it, the dung ?

Visions (Visions)
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 12:20 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hip I have been using bleach ever since you brought up the idea to dunk with it...I use the least amount of bleach that I think won't hurt the mycelium or muchrooms and still head off unwanted contams...That's what I did for the first couple waterings...after that I used any water...I kept the manure moist as much as I could...dries out a little faster without being covered but this way it's just like growing out doors...I poke holes in the bottom of the pans so that the excess drains...no standing water for contams to breed...No contams at all...cobweb will never happen!...

Think about your ordinary potted plants...do you see cobweb growing in the pots?...Also on my last crop I took my spray hose on my sink and washed out all the spores into a bowl...took them and watered my plants with it...the mycelium grew...very thin ...but no shrooms because there wasn't enough food...but the point is it grew...just like nature intended them for...to grow along plants and trees...

Since the air is dry here I thought the caps would split...but they didn't...Having them at 72* or so I think prevented it...they hotter the room the more humidity you will need...

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 01:38 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

interesting.
i just like to document how everyone has been making use of bleach in their efforts, i'll add it to our archive material on bleach dipping, so others might emulate your success. it's best when i can get outside sources, like yourself, because some might doubt my veracity since i have a vested interest in the use of bleach since i pioneered the tek. thus, every report helps build the case pro bleach.
thx.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: