Angel's Food Cake... Dial up beware Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Jars, Bags and Containers- Lids & Filters Angel's Food Cake... Dial up beware Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

1dumbmyco (1dumbmyco)
Username: 1dumbmyco

Post Number: 530
Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 12:44 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huautla fun! Don't have exact dates but foaf had a pint of rye with Huautla from a karo clone that was used as spawn to 80/20 horse poo/compost. A black plastic angel's food cake container with clear plastic lid was used and allowed to colonize in ambient room light/temps hoping to speed up/initiate pinning to no avail. At 70-80% colonization a nute added case layer was added around the first week of November. Huautla being extremely rhyzomorphic overlaid the casing badly within a few days of birthing to a non perlite tub and began to shrink as days/weeks past with no signs of fruiting. I told him to birth it like a cake with DE casing.
3 days after birth it looks like a delicious rippled choc/white angel's food cake with some frosting:
Upload
A week later more frosting and almost complete colonization on outside of horse poo/compost:
Upload
2 days ago it starting pinning:
Upload
And more pins....now how to harvest those inner ones when the time comes? It has been amazing to watch rhyzos/hyphae knotting to form new pins right before our eyes. Also, as Huautla is so prone to do, it is colonizing the verm on top like crazy. Not seen are some pins forming at the bottom verm interface as well. This strain is prone to fruiting edges and verm interfaces.
Upload
Upload
More pics to come if you like and I apologize for all the bandwidth use but foaf is pretty happy about the novelty cake.
All posts are for microscopic purposes only.

mycolord (Mycolord)
Username: Mycolord

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 04:44 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ill take a slice for the holidays please
ty:-)

thats amazing

Redrum (Redrum)
Username: Redrum

Post Number: 42
Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 02:53 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I'll try one of those pans
with some Rez cakes here after the
first of year .
That is a cool idea and a good amount
of surface area too.

rodger rabbit (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 4441
Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 03:37 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And they're fruiting out of the middle too! How cute. Give us a mature pic in a few days please.
"Whatever it is, that girl put a spell on me". . .jimi hendrix

Rio (Rio)
Username: Rio

Post Number: 861
Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 09:04 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats neat!
Please contribute your story, poem, black & white artwork....to the book I am writing about this community. See more information in General Discussions. Everyone will remain anonymous I will use your user name or an alias you pick out.

Soliver (Soliver)
Username: Soliver

Post Number: 1690
Posted on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 - 09:57 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-)

mmmmm . . . angelfood . .

Raebis (Raebis)
Username: Raebis

Post Number: 119
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 07:55 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don't mix that one up with a bundt cake your supposed to take to the inlaws for thanksgiving!!
I crave not the result.
The satisfaction comes
with knowing the result
is because of me.

Reefer37 (Reefer37)
Username: Reefer37

Post Number: 39
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 08:16 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if you could get better yields by filling the center with wet vermiculite- kind of like a big reservoir. It would decrease the fruiting surface area but would give the cake access to a lot of extra moisture. Kind of like the VooDoo tek with one huge hole. might be worth a try.

1dumbmyco (1dumbmyco)

Post Number: 544
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 09:06 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I wonder if you could get better yields by filling the center with wet vermiculite- kind of like a big reservoir.

In most cases, pardon the pun, that would probably be true but being an edge lover Huautla is fruiting more concentrated in the inner ring than anywhere else. It is sitting on a healthy bed of moist verm and some was dropped inside plus perlite in the tub is allowing it to stay moist and tasty just like angel's food cake should be. Just got back from foaf's with an updated pic. More pins and nice fruits.
Upload

Reefer37 (Reefer37)
Username: Reefer37

Post Number: 40
Posted on Wednesday, November 24, 2004 - 09:43 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lookin good!

1dumbmyco (1dumbmyco)

Post Number: 553
Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 04:46 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I cluster decided to detah it self as my freind was moving it. Here is before before the bottom cluster was nabbed. I will post another in a day or two as a few still have a days growth left.
Upload

Raebis (Raebis)
Username: Raebis

Post Number: 121
Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 10:53 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

In most cases, pardon the pun, that would probably be true but being an edge lover Huautla is fruiting more concentrated in the inner ring than anywhere else. It is sitting on a healthy bed of moist verm and some was dropped inside plus perlite in the tub is allowing it to stay moist and tasty just like angel's food cake should be. Just got back from foaf's with an updated pic. More pins and nice fruits.

Since they are an edge loving species, perhaps a
bundt cake pan with ridges might produce some
interesting results. is this the kind of pan you
used? it looks like the outside edges are smooth
and round.

nice looking and quite impressive. have fun
harvesting the mushies in the hole.
I crave not the result.
The satisfaction comes
with knowing the result
is because of me.

1dumbmyco (1dumbmyco)

Post Number: 561
Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 06:58 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Since they are an edge loving species, perhaps a
bundt cake pan with ridges might produce some
interesting results.

I will pass that idea along to him. Here is a pic of the cluster that started toppling last night.
Upload

And preharvest,
Upload

And it dunking in the original plastic container in the fridge after a 1-200 bleach dip for 20 minutes.
Upload

pscillypj (Pcsillypj)
Username: Pcsillypj

Post Number: 654
Posted on Saturday, November 27, 2004 - 08:04 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice flush 1D....
your friend is always
trying something new because
of you....good work....
"I hear colors and see sounds"

Ferry (Spacecake)
Username: Spacecake

Post Number: 289
Posted on Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 02:58 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great experiment !!!

1dumbmyco (1dumbmyco)

Post Number: 565
Posted on Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 06:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Spacecake, I know you play with Huautla's from previous posts and figured you would get a kick out of my friend's desert.

Ferry (Spacecake)
Username: Spacecake

Post Number: 290
Posted on Sunday, November 28, 2004 - 07:22 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes,I want something like that for my birthday !!!
Instead of candles.. Mushrooms !

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 29126
Posted on Monday, November 29, 2004 - 11:56 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pretty damn cool
archive material to photos

Namaste

1dumbmyco (1dumbmyco)

Post Number: 600
Posted on Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 05:24 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

2nd flush.
Upload

pscillypj (Pcsillypj)
Username: Pcsillypj

Post Number: 704
Posted on Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 05:34 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice flush.....
looks delicious...
:-)
"I hear colors and see sounds"

perpetually LOST (Lost_onabbey_rd)
Username: Lost_onabbey_rd

Post Number: 454
Posted on Wednesday, December 08, 2004 - 07:09 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'll take a slice of that cake please :-)
LOST
A fool thinks he knows everything, a Wise man admits the knows nothing.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: