What are some good shroom books to read Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Fungi Forum / Misc. Noteworthy threads What are some good shroom books to read Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

sporehead (Sporehead)
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 01:49 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i thinking of buying some shroom books to read,but there are so many i dont know what to get.need some advice on good books worth buying.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 12:39 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the mushroom cultivator by stamets
growing gouremt and medicinals
psychedelic shaman
Pharmacotheon,
tIhkal
Plants of the Gods is good for reference. Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World is an excellent book for the hunter. Check out Mind Books. (web addy is just a straight .com)

Mjshroomer (Mjshroomer)
Posted on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 11:36 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a partial list of mushroom books on psilocybe and amanita for all to read. These are the best books available:

FURTHER SUGGESTED READING

Allen, John W. 1978. Safe-Pik Mushroom Identification Guide. Frank and Cheeri Rinaldo. Seattle, Washington. On Line at http://www.erowid

Allen, John W., Mark D. Merlin and Karl L. R. Jansen. 1991. An Ethnomycological review of Psychoactive Agarics In Australia and New Zealand. Journal of Psychoactive Drugs vol. 23(1):39-69. Online at http://www.erowid.org

Allen, John W., Gartz, Jochen and Gaston Guzmán. 1992. Index to the Botanical Identification and Chemical Analysis of the Known Species of Hallucinogenic Fungi. Integration: The Journal for Mind Moving Plants and Culture vol:2-3:91-98.

Allen, John W. and Jochen Gartz. [2000]1997-98. To Magic Mushrooms in Some Third World Countries.

Allen, John W. and Jochen Gartz, 2002 Teonanacátl: A Bibliography of Entheogenic Mushrooms. Available on CD Rom from http://www.mushroomjohn.com.

Allen, John W. and jochen Gartz. 2002. Psilocybian Mushroom Cultivation. Also available on cd-rom at same soite as above.

Arthur, Hames. 2000. Mushrooms and Mankind. The Book Tree. Escondito, California.

Enos, Leonard. 1973. A Key to the North American Psilocybe Mushroom. Youniverse Press. Lemon Grove California.

Estrada, Alvaro. 1976. Maria Sabina: Her Life, Her Chants. An Autobiography. Ross-Erikson. California.

Friedman, Sara Ann. 1987. Celebrating the Wild Mushroom. Dodd, Mead and Co. New York.

Furst, Peter T. 1986. Psychedelic Fungi. Encyclopedia of Psychoactive Drugs. Chelsea House Publishing. New York.

Clark, Heinrich. 2002. Park Street Press. Virginia.

Gartz, Jochen. 1997-98. Magic Mushrooms Around the World: A Scientific Journey Across Cultures and Time. THe case for Challenging Research and Value Systems. Translated from the masterpiece "Narremschwammer" by Claudia Taake.

Hofmann, Albert. 1980. LSD My Problem Child. McGraw-Hill. New York.

Hofmann, Mark (Ed.) 2002. Entheos The journal.

Leary, Timothy. 1968 High Priest. University Press. World. New York.

Leary, Timothy. 1983. Flashbacks: A Personal and Cultural History of an Era. J. P. Tarcher Inc. Los Angeles.

Lincoff, Gary & D. H. Mitchell (Eds.). 1980. Toxic and Hallucinogenic Mushrooms. Van Nostrand Reinhold. New York.

McKenna, Terence 1993. Food of the Gods: The Search for The Original Tree of Life. Bantam Books. New York.

Menser, Gary. 1977 [1991]. Hallucinogenic and Poisonous Mushroom Field Guide. And/or Press. Berkeley, California. Re-issued as Magikal Mushroom Handbook. Homestead Book Co. Seattle, Washington.

Ott, Jonathan. 1976 [1979]. Hallucinogenic Plants of North America. Wingbow press. Berkeley, California.

Ott, J. 1993. Pharmacotheon: Entheogenic Drugs, Their Plant Sources and History. (see pp273-319. Natural Products Co. Kennewick, Washington.

Ott, Johnathan & Jeremy Bigwood (Eds.). 1978. Teonanacatl: Hallucinogenic Mushrooms of North America. Madrona Press. Seattle, Washington.

Reidlinger, THomas J. (ed.). 1990. The Sacred Mushroom Seeker: Essays for R. Gordon Wasson. Dioscorides Press. Portland, Oregon.

Rumack, B. & E. Saltzman (Eds.). 1978. Mushroom Poisoning: Diagnosis and Treatment. CRC Press. West Palm Beach, Florida.

Sanford, Jeremy. 1966. In Search of the Magic Mushroom. Clarkson N. Porter. New York.

Schultes, RIchard Evans. 1978. Hallucinogenic Plants. A Golden Garden Guide. Golden Press. New York.

Schultes, Richard Evans and Albert Hofmann. Plants of the Gods. McGraw-Hill Book Co. New York.

Stafford, Peter. 1992. Psychedelic Encyclopedia. J. P. Tarcher, Inc. Los Angeles.

Stamets, Paul. 1978. Psilocybe Mushrooms and Their Allies. Homestead Book Co. Seattle, Washington.

Stamets, Paul. 1996. A Field Guide to Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World. Ten Speed Press. Berkeley, California.

Wasson, R. Gordon. May 13, 1957. Life magazine.

Wasson, R. Gordon. 1980. The Wondrous Mushroom: Mycolatry in Mesoamerica. McGraw-Hill Book Co. New York.

Weil, Andrew. 1972. The Natural Mind: A New Way of Looking at Drugs and the Higher Consciousness. Houghton Mifflin. Boston, Ma.

Weil, Andrew. 1980. Marriage of the Sun and Moon. Houghton Mifflin. Boston, Ma.

Imok (Imok)
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 01:12 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material
:)

sporehead (Sporehead)
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 03:07 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks hip and mj for that list,always appreciate it. also wondering if librarys carry these sort of books? thanks again

Derby (Derby)
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 04:24 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not specifically about shrooms but these books are special: Robert Monroe Journeys Out of The Body, Far Journeys, Ultimate Journey. All three rock!!!

Karna (Karna)
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 06:30 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass

FatLilDog (Woof)
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 06:55 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Archaic Revival" -by Terrance McKenna

It is interviews and essays on psilocybin mushrooms, shamanism, alien intelligence and how psychedelics have changed our culture. Kinda 'out there' but good reading. Keep a dictionary handy, that McKenna guy can get quite verbose for a stoner.

sporehead (Sporehead)
Posted on Monday, November 18, 2002 - 09:51 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks ya'll.i have a couple of terrances books. and they are very good,and your right about the dictionary as terrence uses many words that i never heard of ,let alone pronounce.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 02:17 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think he invents words as he goes along.
ever tried to read anything
by buckminster fuller ?
the guy was a full blown genius but his writings are so intricate and convoluted you practically need a translator.

Searcher (Novice)
Posted on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 08:24 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Arghhhh! No mention of David Arora? Up until a few minutes ago, I thought he was THE source. A matronly lady at the bookstore told me that he'd written the "Bible" on mushrooms - Mushrooms Demystified. And he published a neat little paperback field guide with color pictures and copious references to his big Bible, calling it simply MD (for Mushrooms Demystified . . . I think). Yeah! Vocabulary is a bear! But what's a nice guy who reads Buckminster Fuller doing playing with shrooms? I'm shocked!!

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 10:10 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol
i'm just full of surprises.
bucky fuller was a hero of mine, i once even took amtrak to chicago to hear him give a lecture [at a mensa convention] and his speech was every bit as mystifying as his writings. did you know that he trained himself to live on only 5 hours of sleep a day ? he did so to minimize the % of his life 'wasted' sleeping when he could be working. gave us many inventions and saw things from a unique perspective. a true genius, imho.
as to why i mess with shrooms, i'm a deeply spiritual man.
shrooms/psychedelic have given me the only reliable mystic experiences i've ever felt, religion always left me empty but on shrooms i can touch, feel god's love. i think that's why the entheogens were placed here, as a way for us to bypass the churches and the so-called holy books, and come to connect with the divine directly in our own minds.

sporehead (Sporehead)
Posted on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 08:16 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey hip, can you give me some more info on buckminster fuller? i've never heard of him?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 12:19 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.worldtrans.org/whole/bucky.html

Theo Genic (Thundertentronc)
Posted on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 01:40 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NOT "Breaking Open the Head". (see that thread) And if Daniel is lurking here, sorry man, but just...NO.

Owls in Honey (Glaucus)
Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 02:19 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, that guy was saying things in 1963's 'Operating Guide for Spaceship Earth' that still make sense. I think I read a little of 'Grunch of Giants' that was good too.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 02:52 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, i remember that book.
i was just recently reading in the latest issue of Discovery magazine that some scientists have found a way to make 'bucky balls' of molecular carbon that can become magnetized.
this is astonishing, as carbon is never magnetic. but when arranged into a molecular 'bucky ball' based on fuller's teachings, it is magnetic.
no one knows exactly how or why, yet.

sporehead (Sporehead)
Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 03:55 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks hip

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: