stevie ray's flatcake version Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive BRF TEK : BRF Cakes. stevie ray's flatcake version Previous Next

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Stevieray (Stevie_ray)
Username: Stevie_ray

Post Number: 35
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 03:54 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flatcake tek

Here is the flatcake tek I use. It is Eatyualive's tek, although I have made a few modifications. I'll put my changes in (). Here is the tek....

Supplies:
1. glass casserole dish (I use pyrex)
2. saran wrap
3. vermiculite (I use Hoffman fine grade)
4. fully colonized pf cakes
5. needle or safety pin
6. distilled water
7. fork
8. spoon
9. latex gloves

Directions:
1. Sterilize your work area, air, dishes, yourself and tools.
2. Presterilize verm. for 25 mins. @ 325 degrees. (I do not do this step. I just use verm out of the bag. If you keep the bag sealed you shouldn't have any problems.)
3. Open jars and scrape off verm layer. Use 3 cakes per square dish. (I use 5 cakes per 8"x8" dish and 10 cakes for 9"x13" dish.)(I also use the mass spawn a.k.a. lazy mofo bag tek along with the flatcake tek, I will post that tek in another thread)
4. Remove any primordia or pins. Crumble cakes into small pieces into the casserole dish.
5. Mix distilled water with verm, allow the verm to be damp. Only a drop or two comes out when you squeeze a handful. (I prepare the verm before step 3 and keep the bowl covered with saran wrap)
6. Use the fork to evenly pack down the colonized substrate. Make sure it is as even as possible.
7. Spread the damp verm over the substrate evenly, covering it completely. Use your hand to pat down the verm so it is nice and snug. (I use a large spoon to do this, it's more sterile) (also I make the verm layer about 1/8th inch thick)
8. Cover the dish with saran wrap and poke 10-12 holes in the saran wrap spread evenly around the dish.
9. Incubate your flatcakes in total darkness for 3-5 days, until the mycelia is thick and looks like a fully colonized pf cake again.
10. Do not allow light in the incubation room and do not use a heating pad.
11. Once the dishes have grown through, birth them by scraping the verm layer off the top. Then carefully use the fork to gently pull the cake away from each side of the dish. (after the verm layer is removed I pre-1st dunk by adding water to the dish itself and then put the lid on the dish and stick it in the fridge.) Now flip the dish upside down and let it fall into your hands and set it on top of saran wrap that is layed in the casserole dish lid. (Before I birth the cake I line the lid with saran wrap and lay down a layer of damp verm. Once the flatcake is on the layer of verm I gently scrape the mycelia with the fork. I find that this helps with my pinset. Then I put a top layer of damp verm on the flatcake, make it about 1/8th-1/4th inch thick. Don't pack the verm down too much, I like it to be light and fluffy. Make sure to cover the flatcake evenly though.)

TIP: When you put the flatcake in your terrarium take the saran wrap hangin over the lid of your dish and stick it to the side of your terrarium. This will allow water running down the side of your terrarium to go into your verm, helping the flatcake stay hydrated.

Stevieray (Stevie_ray)

Post Number: 34
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 03:53 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chamelionaire,
I use steeped WBS(Wild Bird Seed)(Finch mix) in my jars. I got the recipe from the lazy mofo bags(mass spawn tek). I also use a sprinkle of nutrient yeast in my mix. Although I think the WBS has a bigger effect than the yeast. I too have been around for some time and have stayed with the PF tek, well kinda. I use a variation called the Flatcake tek. I almost always get bigger and better flushes and fruits than with PF Cakes. I will post the tek below. Give it a try, I think you will be pleased with the results.

Stevieray (Stevie_ray)

Post Number: 36
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 03:59 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I dunk the flatcakes, I cut the 9"x13" cakes in half or in quarters, depending on the strain I am using. This is especially useful when using a strain that likes to grow on the sides like HAWS. Cutting the flatcakes also helps them absorb more water and definately helps your yields. To dunk the flatcakes I put them in gallon sized ziploc FREEZER bags(the entire cut up flatcake will fit into a single ziploc) and add water. Then I push out all the air and close the bag. The 8"x8" flatcakes will fit in the gallon ziploc bags without cutting. After that I put the bags in a big bowl(in case of leakage) and stick it in the fridge for 24 hours. Then remove and rebirth. I usually get 3-4 flushes per flatcake.

Stevieray (Stevie_ray)

Post Number: 37
Posted on Thursday, October 14, 2004 - 04:08 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

here are a few pics...
http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/30636.h tml

http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/5/30632.h tml?1059367787

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 29582
Posted on Friday, December 03, 2004 - 11:11 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material

Namaste

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: