Blue-B-Gone Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Fungi Forum / Misc. Noteworthy threads Blue-B-Gone Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Visions (Visions)
Posted on Friday, November 29, 2002 - 11:54 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What you will see are Hawiians grown on cased grains and have been watered with Ascorbic Acid(Vitamin C...Pure crystals bought at a beer making supply)...1ts added to Qt spray bottle...

I started this experiment to see if the oxidation of psilocin could be haulted...Ascorbic Acid was used during the later end of the watering process(after fruit bodies started to get some size)...
Hawiians
Hawiian & Grains 2
What you might be able to notice is that they are a golden color...Normally the caps would be darker on the brown side and the stems would be lighter...

Why do you think they are a different color?....I believe it's oxidation not just of psilocin but just oxidation in general...

The first thing I noticed was the color...golden...Next I deliberatly rubbed a stem...it started to turn blue then the blue went away showing no damage...

I started looking at all the mushrooms...found some with damage...they had split and turned blue...I believe they turned blue since I started this Ascorbic Acid watering in the later stages of growth and it didn't give them enough time to absorb the Vitamin C...

Here is how I prove this: I took that spray bottle and sprayed the Ascorbic Acid water directly onto the damaged mushrooms....
Bluing #1
Bluing #2
The bluing went away...but only for a while...came back blue but with alot less...Why did it come back?...Because spraying coats the mushroom with water & Vitamin C...the Vitamin C does it's thing but the % of water is too high alowing some of the water being sprayed to do a little amount of damage....

Here is the big thing...the one I delibertly rubbed...rubbed hard...I even scraped it with my fingernail...It never turned blue!...That mushroom was much younger than the other one...Meaning: it was watered with the Ascorbic Acid mostlikly from the begining of it's growth where as the other wasn't....
Ascorbic Acid healing

Being watered from the beginging allows it to absorb the Vitamin C into it's cells preventing oxidation from happening even after it is damaged...

Now not all mushrooms withstanded damage without bluing but some did...This opens the door for Antioxidents being used for preserving their Magic...
Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 12:28 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it is true that vit c slows the break-down of the magic in solution, so it makes sense to see these kinds of effects in vivo.
Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 12:32 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)


there, everything fixed.
Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

jose gonzalez (Sterileprint13)
Posted on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 03:24 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

visions....those sure are pretty!!!!just curious....how many cakes did you use for the casing????Interesting experiment...I highly admire those who have good inginuity and the desire to progress the foothold on the cult of mushies!!!!
you have my props!!!!!
perhaps maybe you could try some sort of a vitamin c dunk tek with the cakes before you crumble them into the casing for a more even distrubution of the vitamin and in turn enable the mushies a strong dose of vit c from pinning to picking?????? jose
Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Imok (Imok)
Posted on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 05:51 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material :)
Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 02:49 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i got to thinking on this some more and now what i want to know is what other effects were noticed besides the inhibition of bluing ?

one thought, acidic conditions can favor certain contams so perhaps that stem splting damage could be bacteria ? i dunno, just speculating.
any impact on growth speed, yield, size of fruitbody ?
it obviously didn't do much harm to your nice looking flush.
are you thinking of adding this to your normal routine ?
Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Visions (Visions)
Posted on Saturday, November 30, 2002 - 10:37 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As for the split stems...this is because I don't cover them so some got a little dry......

All in all everything looks the same...except for color...Mushrooms are more golden

I can't say about size because I am not used to growing directly from grains...I usually grow from straw and from straw they are much larger...

I will be curious to see how they dry...as in will they hold their color or will they turn blue...There are More powerful antioxidents than Vitamin C that could be used...

I have been misting my baskets...they haven't started to fruit yet so this might make a difference...We'll see real soon...

I think a fat soluable antioxident might be best because I believe Psylocybin & Psilocin are in the fat containing cells of the mushroom, since tryptophan is contained with the amino acids...What do you think Hip?
Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Dirty Wop (Anotherdirtywop)
Posted on Sunday, December 01, 2002 - 02:52 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about somehow administering the vit c after harvest, so as to not acidify the casing....???

I have no idea how one might go about doing that tho.....

nice experiment
Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

wongbater (Wongbater)
Posted on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 06:11 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone ever try vitamin E? It might make for a good comparison with the vitamin C and I believe it's fat soluble.
Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Visions (Visions)
Posted on Monday, December 02, 2002 - 08:48 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hip your right about Vitamin C acidfing the substrate...After the first flush I got contams...Bacteria...This is the first contam problem I have had while doing everything in the open air...So I would definately say it was the Vitamin C...I got one really good flush from the tray you see but another tray contamed with Bacteria before it even pinned...So Vitamin C is out for me!

Wongbater...I believe Vitamin E would be a better choice for experimenting
Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, December 03, 2002 - 12:57 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bummer.

oh well, at least you have increased our knowledge, that counts for something.
Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Visions (Visions)
Posted on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 09:23 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well about Vitamin E, since it won't dissolve in water it would have to be added to the substrate and I am not sure if the mycelium would absorb it....I will think of something

Add Your Message Here
Post:
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: