A Pearl Oyster culture Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive » Archive » Non Cubie Shrooms » A Pearl Oyster culture « Previous Next »

Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
7th Day winner...Oyster cultureCptnMaxMushroom Tumbz 10 1 02-12-05  04:39 am
Archive through February 12, 20051dumbmyco (1dumbmycoTumbz (Tumbz)25 1 02-12-05  04:41 am

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

1dumbmyco (1dumbmyco)
Username: 1dumbmyco

Post Number: 793
Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 07:35 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spaghetti anyone? here are some shots of the two nugs today. The last 3 are various aspects of nug number 2. Odd shaped and am trying to enhance air exchange and getting as much light as possible though it's not helping. Maybe next flush the weather will cooperate and I can get 'em outside for a while during the day.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
All posts are for microscopic purposes only.

Mc_Eric (Mc_eric)
Username: Mc_eric

Post Number: 18
Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 07:45 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

man thats crazy, id like to take a big bite out of the growth looking thing... hehe

rodger (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 5724
Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 08:04 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if it's senesence? Where did you get the strain?
"He blesses the boys, as they stand in line,
The smell of gun grease-their bayonets they shine.
He’s there to help them all that he can.
To make them feel wanted,
He’s a good holy man."
The Animals

Dooby Dooby Doo (Doobydoobydoo)
Username: Doobydoobydoo

Post Number: 995
Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 08:41 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you cut off all the plastic? you should just cut slits where you want it to fruit from... Not sure what you have going there... odd looking indeed...

1dumbmyco (1dumbmyco)

Post Number: 794
Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 05:04 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I know I should just cut slits, but leave it to a dumbmyco to mess things up. I may try dunking and placing back in bags for second flush and try the slit method. Rodger, they came from a well known and respected member who participated in the 12 Days of Xmas contest at Sporelab. No matter how they look I am sure they will be still be delicious. And it's a very cool thing to look at when I go to fan seeing the little idiosyncracies of fungi.

llama (Llama)
Username: Llama

Post Number: 111
Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 05:26 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are oysters edible (desirable?) in that crazy pinny-coral form?

ªb·sinth (Sinthetic)
Username: Sinthetic

Post Number: 44
Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 05:52 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, take a taste and compare to 'regular' oysters :-)

1dumbmyco (1dumbmyco)

Post Number: 795
Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 10:31 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We shall see as I have some dried Oysters for comparison purposes.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 31504
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 01:30 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

our friend in europe who grows oysters, fucgu.,
got similarly shapped fruitbodies so i don't think it's senesence. perhaps some environmental factor is cause.

Namaste

rodger (Skyypilot)

Post Number: 5738
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 03:57 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's very strange. Oysters should be nice and fat. High CO2 levels appear a likely culprit. Here's one of mine on straw.
Upload
He’s a good holy man."
The Animals

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 31521
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 04:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm glad to see more traffic here on gourmet/edibles.
those are pretty.

Namaste

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 31522
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 04:04 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

High CO2 levels and low light seem to cause that coral look

what're the right parameters during the process ?

Namaste

rodger (Skyypilot)

Post Number: 5739
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 04:10 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You want very low CO2 levels during fruiting. We need to simulate the mycelium colonizing a fallen tree, then finally reaching the edge where the air washes the CO2 level to near ambient. Both oyster grows we've seen here that had that coral look were grown in rubbermaids. That may be the key. Try that same strain outside the terrarium and see if it makes them grow normaly.
He’s a good holy man."
The Animals

1dumbmyco (1dumbmyco)

Post Number: 796
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 11:06 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

That may be the key. Try that same strain outside the terrarium and see if it makes them grow normaly.

Will do as I have another pint to do G2G in the fridge and may try for a second flush just in open air with slit bags after a dunk. You will see some stalks are trying to form what look like caps in my next pix. Thanks Hippie and as I venture into other edibles I will post grow logs.

Post Number: 998
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 11:35 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... and Dooby Doo is making some grain jars with pink oysters :-) will start a thread once things get going... tommorow is the knock up day, wedges into grain jars :-)

rodger (Skyypilot)

Post Number: 5741
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 03:13 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where'd ya get the pink oyster spawn?
He’s a good holy man."
The Animals

brainbreath (Newbie3)
Username: Newbie3

Post Number: 117
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 12:56 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IMO what you need is both more fae and light. The coral formation is usually due to low light, whereas the long stems with tiny caps are caused by high co2 levels. You seem to have a combination of both.
"Just because you’re paranoid
Don’t mean they’re not after you" Kurt Cobain

Post Number: 1004
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 08:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Got a few dishes in a trade a while back... a pink, a golden, a pearl, and a king oyster :-)

1dumbmyco (1dumbmyco)

Post Number: 800
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 12:32 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Brainbreath but I am working during the day now so will have to rig something up or birth open air with slits as recommended. About to PC some more oats for a G2G of the last pint of spawn I have and will go from there plus other flushes fruited differently may come around. I will wait til tomorrow to post pics of the pathetic growth forms, tho cool, not quite what I pull off elms while gathering morels.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 31602
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 01:39 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

fae

eh ?
fanning air exchange ?

Namaste

brainbreath (Newbie3)
Username: Newbie3

Post Number: 118
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 08:01 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fae=fresh air exchange
>600 ppm co2 is the optimal level, you need around 6-8 exchanges per hour to get them to fruit right.
"Just because you’re paranoid
Don’t mean they’re not after you" Kurt Cobain

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: