FLOWHOOD Laminar Air Flow Calibration Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Gloveboxes & Flowhoods. FLOWHOOD Laminar Air Flow Calibration Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Mycota (Mycota)
Username: Mycota

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 03:56 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So you decide to build yourself a hepa filtered laminar flow hood.

You decide on a design, buy or scrounge up a squirrel cage fan, get a hepa filter & put it all together.

Most often, the filter & fan are mismatched. So how do you calibrate the laminar air flow?

You install a rheostat into the electrical cord that powers the fan, so you can adjust its speed.

Once done, how much air flow do you want? Here is how to calibrate it with a candle flame.

When the fan is off, candle flame stands vertical. Turn fan on & adjust fan speed so the flame bends to a 90 degree angle, but does not blow out. That is PERFECT.

There you go, get to work.
Upload
Upload

raeb (Raebis)
Username: Raebis

Post Number: 461
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 07:34 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

how far away from the filter should the candle be?
i just make all this crap up as i go along

Mycota (Mycota)

Post Number: 30
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 08:20 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Flame should bend @ 90 degree angle EVERYWHERE inside the work area. That is LAMINAR AIR FLOW
Upload

ohmatic (Ohmatic)
Username: Ohmatic

Post Number: 241
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 08:26 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

god damnit i knew the style of writing was familiar.
so its mycota now eh? ;)
peace ohm

Mycota (Mycota)

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, January 18, 2005 - 09:04 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

god damnit i knew the style of writing was familiar.

Somebody already had "agar" taken - here.

LOL, I just used my old NOOK name.

talkingmonkey (Talkingmonkey)
Username: Talkingmonkey

Post Number: 50
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 03:14 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mycota
what do you think about the idea of downward flow over a workstation. it was discussed a while back about how downward blowing air isnt suitable for agar. a few of the more experienced growers felt very strongly that the downward airflow would not blow the clean air over and out of the workstation , but rather, would just twirl it around in the station. in essence swirling contams everywhere also.

ive seem designs for a downward airflow flowhood. for big companies, and one i THINK at the nook, or shroomery, that is homemade.

what are your thoughts

rodger (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 5294
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 05:26 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed, the flame should bend to 90 degrees but not go out. Most flowhoods are AC however, not DC. You would want to get a motor speed controller, not a rheostat.
"Whatever it is, that girl put a spell on me". . .jimi hendrix

Mycota (Mycota)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 63
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 06:47 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You would want to get a motor speed controller, not a rheostat.

You are CORRECT. Stupid me, I refer to them as the same. When they are not. This is the one on MINE
Upload

Mycota (Mycota)
Intermediate Member

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 07:28 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

a few of the more experienced growers felt very strongly that the downward airflow would not blow the clean air over and out of the workstation , but rather, would just twirl it around in the station. in essence swirling contams everywhere also.

So long as the air flow inside the work area is LAMINAR (all moving the same direction & speed). Either works.

True......vertical gets bent by any object in it's path, but so does horizontal. Laminar air flow pressure holds back any turbulance (swirling)- to OUTSIDE the work area.

I plate tested mine & it works great. Both designs work, IMHO.

Upload
Upload

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 30989
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 04:16 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material

Namaste

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: