Help with little bugs!!!!!!! Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Contams. Help with little bugs!!!!!!! Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

1976 (Sadsoul)
Username: Sadsoul

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 08:43 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need some help with some little flying bugs or what we call (Mimes). Here we don't have glass windows so we have screen ,the screen holes are little like the ones you use for a "Hash tumbler".
Because i found in my fruitying chamber about 12 of those suckers and we have had alot of rain in these days , the little suckers are in a pool party and they are ready to multeply like hell. I need some information in what can i use that won't harm or kill the shrooms or mycel.
Best wishes!!!!!!!!!!
Some times you win and some times you lose ,
but at the end it was never yours ....////

pscillypj (Pcsillypj)
Username: Pcsillypj

Post Number: 861
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 08:48 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

use sticky strips you can get at
the hardware store...that should
work for the flies....the larvea
tho'...i think i heard rodger talking
about some stuff to get rid of those
too...and it wont hurt the mycelia...
but i'll leave that to rodger....
"I hear colors and see sounds"

1976 (Sadsoul)

Post Number: 44
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 08:56 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the advice !Pscillypj!
I'll try to find that RR thread.
Best wishes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mycota (Mycota)
Intermediate Member
Username: Mycota

Post Number: 56
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 09:06 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I need some help with some little flying bugs or what we call (Mimes

I assume they are fruit fly type gnats Upload.

Once you find then, they have already layed eggs in the substrate. Those eggs will some hatch into larva Upload

Those larva will thrive in a substrate, as well as bore into & eat shrooms - as they flush. The larva turn into more gnats & they lay more eggs - so it generally just gets worse.

Once you have them, you are about SOL. Simply because to kill them inside the substrate, or mushrooms is impossible - without killing the substrate & poisoning the shrooms with insecticide.

I have encountered the BASTARDS. Had to TOSS everything & start over to rid the grow area of them.

Later installed an electric bug zapper to kill any of them, if they snuck in. It helped.
Upload

1976 (Sadsoul)

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 09:42 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They look like little red headed flys , same body shape , if they were baby flies what can i use , will the sticky tape work because they are so little they enter the screen like it was a opened door. But i'm relieve , there not fruit fly gnats.

pscillypj (Pcsillypj)
Username: Pcsillypj

Post Number: 863
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 09:47 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm afraid i'll have to agree with
mycota and say your best bet is to
prolly throw everything out and start
from scratch(thats what i have had to
do in the past) i know it sucks but
once they are gone it's soo much easier
to grow your fruits....

"I hear colors and see sounds"

Bob (Texas_bob)
Username: Texas_bob

Post Number: 272
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 09:52 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember someone here posted a piucture of a worm or larva in a collonized quart of rye.
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of a war drum.

1976 (Sadsoul)

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 10:06 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still haven't birth and my mycel is safe but in my last grow about 2 month ago they were present and i know they will be back . tomarrow i was going to try some straw logs the size of footballs with some whole rice cakes ,and after that i have about 4 to 5 days while they fully colonize the straw and then birth. It's my first time with straw so i was going to make 1 lipa yai log, 1 chitwan nepal log, 1 golden teacher lod, 1 hauatla jiminez log and 1 mex palenque log. By the way wish me luck with this grow.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 30993
Posted on Wednesday, February 02, 2005 - 04:30 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material

Namaste

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: