Boys from the (flow)hood Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Gloveboxes & Flowhoods. Boys from the (flow)hood Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

myco domesticus (Mycophil)
Posted on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 12:51 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the idea is first visualized in studio max 4 ,
the realisation is not an exact copy but more of the kind 'go with the flo', the fan has been performing very well in the past, silently and powerful ,
the idea
connection
fan
hepafilter
motor on board

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 12:49 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

looking good.
one suggestion i found using my flowhood.
you might want to build a open-faced box out in front of the HEPA filter where you work inside the airflow but are sheltered from above and the sides, kinda like a flowhood-glovebox hybrid but without the gloves, just an open face.
this arrangement traps and channels the air from the flowhood, lowering even further any contam rate.
i took a plastic rectangular waste-basket and chopped off the bottom for that, kinda like a wind tunnel. easy to keep sterile, enough room inside to do even quart jars and very low contam rate.

Posted on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 06:07 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly what I had in mind , the top will most probably be in plexi or some other transparant material , so then it's only my hands in cleaned gloves to enter the workspace , I might bring some modifications later on , as long as I keep space at the bottom to move my hands and to exit the filtered air , the hepa will be held in place with metal corners , so 1/2" stays for connecting the filter to the connection ,here's an update to the flowhood with an upperscreen to prevent from breathing onto the workspace
update1
and from another angle

update2

Searcher (Novice)
Posted on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 06:15 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! And just when I was starting to feel something like a "pro" myself. Please pass me another slice of that humble pie?

A great job, there, and truly inspiring!

Erebus (Debremus)
Posted on Sunday, December 08, 2002 - 11:11 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hehe that little guy looks familiar :)

Ive done a bit of 3dsmax work myself, didn't think about its use as a constructionary tool.

Posted on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 12:21 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the socalled biped , the bonesguy that is standard part of characterstudio , I did 1 year studio max at school and some maya , because I disagreed on the teachingmethod I quit the mayalessons , lately I don't use max very much and in the milder seasons I'm occupied with gardening etc. but in winter I have more time to visualize all sort of ideas , because coming from a classical arteducation I love the time gained by using a good 3d program to visualize ideas , that's what art is about imo anyway , I'm not commercially involved nor interested , I like to keep it pure of intrests ,just doing it cause I love it and once one knows the basics it can be a very good help in plannning anything associated with constructions , it can be a lot easier than explaining everything with words

Erebus (Debremus)
Posted on Monday, December 09, 2002 - 08:54 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea I have used character studio for video game character modeling. I can't imagine making a full movie or something with it, that would take sooo long.

Posted on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 - 12:19 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me neither , the pros have 3d scanners , sensors for motiontracking , programmers for custom made plugins etc , at the end of the 1st year we had a 2 minute movie , that's why I don't plan to make long movies since I don't have a team to work with nor the hitech to make life easier , but I love to tryout all kind of special effects ,it's the visualisation of mental states that I focus on the most , brought as 'art'
the pics in here took about an hour to set up the scene , and once the scene is setup , modifications are done fast ,a marriage between 3d and the 11 dimensions of astronomers nowadays like stephen hawking
Maybe in future projects I'll be using a plastic source like hippie3 suggests instead of the wood I use now for connecting the filter to the fan , I also forgot to put an uv light in the scenes , a standard item in my past setups , as an extra measure at the workspace , I used to keep the lamp on for 12 hrs before doing any critical work , just make sure you never come in contact with the light while on , cause it is bad for the skin and the eyes ,glass blocks the rays from the uv light but you don't need to use uv light while working

Dirty Wop (Anotherdirtywop)
Posted on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 - 06:28 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These things are awesome!
Don't hesitate to build one....I shopped around and got mine built for under 170 dollars.
hood
there's mine
works like a dream
makes culture a breeze!

Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 03:13 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what is that thing on the left in front of the flowhood and also the yellow and red thing on the floor next to the red wires kept my fantasy going, a Baxter for mycotransfusion ? First I thought at left were a pack of plastic petris but now I don't know anymore , looks easier to make than the one I'm working on rightnow ,anyone worked with plastic petris before ? I used the glass ones B4 but now I just have a few packs of plasticpetris and wondered about sterility

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, December 12, 2002 - 01:20 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you should paint the wood with KILZ or another germicidal/fungicidal paint to seal it, else wood can harbour bacteria, building up over time, which can render your box a source of contams instead of protection from them.

Searcher (Novice)
Posted on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 12:18 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the kind of really neat info that keeps me coming back here again and again!! The archives are great, but these spontaneous gives and takes are priceless for answering the questions I don't know enough to ask!!

Dirty Wop (Anotherdirtywop)
Posted on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 12:18 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know hippie....it'll get some kilz, I just didn't have time yet. I had a lot of work to do and was anxious to try it out when it was done.
I'm gonna do the inside w/ polyurethane, outside w/ Kilz coat....

"a Baxter for mycotransfusion "

LOL. Thats called a mess. I don't know what you are talking about. The only thing on the floor next to the extension cord is a belt, an AC adapter, a pressure cooker and a rubbermaid...none of which have anything to do w/ the hood.

It WAS easier to make than yours. That was my aim, do it cheap, fast, and easy.

yes....those are plastic petris. They come sterile and disposable in packs of 20 or 25. Just open and pour. Don't try to pressure cook a plastic petri....bad mistake....

Posted on Monday, December 16, 2002 - 11:51 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Right you are , adapting the fan to the filter in my design is very timeconsuming compared to your setup and the space it consumes is about the same I'm still modifying the hood while i'm constructing it , thanks for the tip on plastic petris , probably would have tried to pc it someday otherwise (recup)I'm trying to use as much as possible synthetic materials to prevent growth of molds etc and easy cleaning

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 03:08 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i hate plastic petris, i'm just too paranoid, gimme glass i can pc and know that it's sterile.

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 12:55 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

some more workshots , starting with the front , with the holes where gloves have to come flowhood frontthe general idea is to use the air from the flowhood in a closed environment where I can do inoculations and move them on a shelf , all from the outside of the box , here another pic from the front with the glassplate flowhood front 2this ones from the side , with the structure still open on the side flowhood sidehere a detail from the air inlet flowhood side detail the cork will be covered with rubber or foil (for ponds)
patience is the time between 2 harvests

Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 01:47 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

general idea for the flowhood combi growspacegeneral idea

Tarbosh Palace (Tarbosh)
Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 02:44 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stopped trying to understand it about 3 pictures in..........can someone help me with what exactly we are looking at?

johahn (Johahnchristo)
Posted on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 09:04 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pics are too bit too hard to discipher and scroll through the page at the same time.

Posted on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 08:04 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right , I must reduce the size of the pics for better scrolling ,I'll do that with new ones when the growroom is finished , I used all scrap except for the filter and fan of course , and plan on using different incubation chambers to compare now and then with one strain , anyway happy shrooming to all

AfterMidnight (Aftermidnight)
Posted on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 09:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is mine, small but effective and relatively portable.

Posted on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 02:58 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice design ! Reminds me of an idea for a stealth tek where I want to use an old computer as a grow room and everything can be hidden inside it , btw is that a prefilter in the middle ?

AfterMidnight (Aftermidnight)
Posted on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 02:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Mycophil. Prefilter is right. Pretty much essential if you want to prolong the life of your HEPA.

I have stealth on the mind as well. I have been spending some time on Overgrow checking out the stealth cabinets. Thinking about giving it a try, something I always wanted to do but never got around to it.

groingrinder (Groingrinder)
Posted on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 04:41 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great thread. I do all my modeling in Rhinoceros, but am trying to learn 3DS Max 3.0 because I would like to be able to model and animate characters and Rhino doesn't do animation.

Posted on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 07:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good idea groingrinder , once you know the basics 3ds max has a rather easy learncurve , used to work a while in older version of rhino but I find max easier to handle ,good luck and joy

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: