Question about "keeper's brew" or any... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Fungi Forum / Misc. Noteworthy threads Question about "keeper's brew" or any growth enhancers Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Boomerstank (Boomerstank)
Posted on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 12:49 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recently saw, but didn't purchase, something called the "keepers brew" from the spore trading post. Now I have seen expensive prices from them, but their advertising for how effective this product is is very convincing. I would like to know what all you shroomers think about this product...Also if any of you know of any growth enhancers, that speed up and increase crop size, that you can add to spore syringes. If this product is what it claims to be, it would be worth the money, just curious if anyone has experience or ANY knowledge at all to share, would VERY much appreciate it.
Thanks a lot.

shroomkalthoom (Shroomkalthoom)
Posted on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 01:36 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It sounds like a rip off to me.
Probably some sort of dextrose solution.
You could probably do the same thing
with Karo or honey for less than $5.

Posted on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 02:23 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will add that the solution appears to be a light brown or dark yellow, deep in color, and it is said to insert 10-12 cc of spore solution ino the brew and swirl the jar 2-5 times a day for 5 days while keeping in an environment over 80 degrees.
Just a little more info for anyone that knows anything about this method, or any similiar methods.

shroomkalthoom (Shroomkalthoom)
Posted on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 02:46 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Try searching for karo tek and see if it doesn't
sound like what they are describing.

Arahant (Arahant)
Posted on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 04:35 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd seen the keepers brew aswell, looked like a good investment! but now looking over the "karo tek" I find its the same thing! they were selling a half pint jar of keepers brew for 99$ USD, thats crazy considering its only a little bit of honey and water :|

Toadstooll (Toadstooll)
Posted on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 07:42 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have used the "BREW". I WAS NOT AT ALL IMPRESSED!!! Like Shroom said do a Karo or Honey tek, works better and is much cheaper!!!
Toad

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 11:49 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeppers,
spore trading post is well known for ripping folks off by selling $10 products for $100.
screw them, make yer own for pennies.

Posted on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 12:18 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks a lot guys, I knew in the wealth of knowledge between all of you someone could help me!!!!
You came through once again

Posted on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 12:26 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another question.........Is it really worth the bother, from the sounds of it many people don't bother using this tek, just curious on what all of you think.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 12:33 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's very worthwhile if:
you're still buying expensive spores syringes.
with honey/karo water you can stretch a few cc's of spores into enough inoculant to prep hundreds of jars.
which brings up the 2nd point, it's worthwhile if you plan to do alot of inoculations, big jars/bags of grains, etc. then you can inject 10-15 cc's and get really fast colonization.
but for most folks, if you can make a spore print and your own syringes, it's not really needed.
liquid cultures are very easily contaminated, so alot fail over and over if their sterility isn't quite up to snuff.

Techno-hippie (Technohippie)
Posted on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 02:07 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You gotta use the Kyro/Potato Tech... Awesome results with this... much better than the keepers brew. It's basically using potato water from boiling a large potatoe in place of h2O in the kyro tech. I was very impressed!

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 02:14 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yepers, plain karo by itself is kinda nutrient-poor so fortifying with something extra like potato broth helps out. btw, try the instant flakes yet ? worked well for me, a bit easier than boiling potatoes, too.

Techno-hippie (Technohippie)
Posted on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 02:31 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was your ratios for the flakes to say 4OZ h2O.... I want to try this.

Toadstooll (Toadstooll)
Posted on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 07:23 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Hippie, What ya think is better potato water or NUT. Yeast??
Toad

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, December 13, 2002 - 07:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

tough call, toadstool. i really haven't done any comparisons, they both kick ass so use both in there at the same time.
i only use a small amount, techno, about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon in 4 ounces

Imok (Imok)
Posted on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 03:39 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material to karo/honey/dextrose :)

? ? ? (Killdannow)
Posted on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 04:34 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I knocked up two malt extract jars;per workmans current tek-actually i altered it a lil. I added 3/4 teaspoon malt extract 1/4 tsp dextrose.

This stuff is easily comparable to the nutritional yeast, or potato water. I now have the formations on the surface-looking to pin i suppose. The fungus actually turns white inside the jar. I thought they were done because the jar cleared up- as far as i could tell it wasnt growing anymore. one week later, i have a white mat on the surface.

Theres no reason i cant still use this for innocs right? ive had it for a while, no fridge maybe 3 weeks.

? ? ? (Killdannow)
Posted on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 04:38 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really wanna try adding some ny / malt extract/potato water to some non nutritional substrate in attempt to fill it with nutrients. Such as vermiculite, a lil nutrient soak might do those folks who use pf tek wonders- or it could just contam. Personally i want to add to verm to add to compost or manure, since i just found out manure may not be as nutritous as i thought and it is such a good additive to either even w/o the nutrients.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 04:40 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

proly still ok, i have noticed that in mycellial syringes left so long that they died, the mycellia turned kinda brown, tan in color, obviously 'dead', not right.
i recently found some light malt extract in big cans pretty cheap, plan to add a bit of it along the way, i figure that a little of this and a little of that ensures a nice healthy balanced diet and gets the mycellia ready for use on a variety of substrates.

? ? ? (Killdannow)
Posted on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 04:49 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sounds like a plan- let us know what mixtures you end up trying.

As you can read, i tried that a lil too. while workman says he just uses malt, i thought the lil bit of dextrose might encourage "hot" growth.

maybe if you soaked som straw or something and use that water- over time the mycelium could adapt?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 05:08 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i've heard mixed reports about straw water, some swear by it while others say it's no good, even slightly toxic so i don't know what to think. the couple times i tried it i saw little difference so i quit. but i'll tell you what does work great, that's shit tea, manure soaked in water then strained out and use the water, they love it, you can really see the difference in how fast the mycellia rips thru it. also, if you want to go the extra mile, get some water from a clean lake or river, the nutrients in the 'living water' from all the fish emulsion and various micro-organisms is incredibly rich and the mycellia just loves it. when i really get ambitious i go down the road a mile or so to this little river and fill up a couple 5 gallon buckets to bring back, then i toss in a couple handfuls of worm castings or manure and let it soak a few days, then strain it off and use that water. you'll never see better growth than that, i guarantee it.

Searcher (Novice)
Posted on Saturday, December 14, 2002 - 05:42 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn! Sure makes me thirsty just thinking about it!!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: