What do you use to print on? Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Spores, Prints & Syringes What do you use to print on? Previous Next

Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Joe Dirt (Davros)
Username: Davros

Post Number: 221
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 04:01 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have been printing on foil for awhile now
and i am looking for some new ideas
i know that foil is probably most widely used,
but i'm also curious to see if that is true

PG (Pfunk118)
Username: Pfunk118

Post Number: 131
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 04:02 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i use foil, its easy to clean before printing
The ancient powers reclaim the Earth
Ascending, I look down upon what used to be my body,And I see Jupiter, as it bleeds from my eye.

Bob (Texas_bob)
Username: Texas_bob

Post Number: 326
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 04:08 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use heavy duty foil but I read from shed the monkey that the inside of postal tyvek is good to print on also.
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of a war drum.

Sandman420 (Sandman420)
Username: Sandman420

Post Number: 178
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 04:09 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i been using foil too. Seems to work fine and easy.
------------------------------
"To know ones limits is to know ones self" -RAE

SomeCallMe... (Shedthemonkey)
Username: Shedthemonkey

Post Number: 862
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 04:22 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Texas Bob beat me to it! LOL! Yes, Tyvek is awesome for a couple reasons. It breathes (which plastic, glass, and foil do not) which means the print dries very quickly. It does not disintegrate in water like typing paper (which many people use) and is free! I love printing...almost my favorite part of this whole hobby. Tyvek IMHO is perfect for printing. :-)

Upload
ShedTheMonkey

"The acceptance of indeterminancy is the beginning of wisdom," -- from Mindswap by Robert Sheckley

grave (Grave)
Username: Grave

Post Number: 318
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 05:00 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I love printing...almost my favorite part of this whole hobby

almost = eating is much funner
lol
im with ya man, nothing like lifting a cap and seeing a dark lovely precious print.

foil has always been great in my dreams
and this too shall pass

Looper (Looper)
Username: Looper

Post Number: 248
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 05:07 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Autoclavical bags are my next adventure in printing.

Mycota (Mycota)
Username: Mycota

Post Number: 135
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 05:09 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Best prints are IN A sporebag, follow along.

Print on autoclave bag material (about 6 to 7 inchs square).

Once print is laid, cover dry print with another square of same (alc swabbed first & allowed to evaporate).

Double seal all edges with IMPULSE SEALER.

When you want spore solution.

In aseptic conditions, G/B, or under flow hood.

Swab outer bag with alc.

Have 20 CC (or whatever size you prefer) sterilized syringe full of "sterile" water, ready.

Pierce autoclave bag material with syringe needle on a CORNER.

Inject 20 CC into sealed square.

Reseal with impulse sealer (or with good tape - if you must).

Massage bag to mix spores into solution.

You now have bag of spore water to extract from & use whenever you please.

Store in refrigerator.

Extract with sterile syringe.

When fluid level is LOW, refill & reseal (as above).
Minimizes exposure to AIR.

Beat this:
Upload

SomeCallMe... (Shedthemonkey)
Username: Shedthemonkey

Post Number: 864
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 06:04 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This doesn't beat that for convenience of making syringes, but tyvek has its advantages. Here is one that your method doesn't have...conservation of space while printing an entire flush.

Upload

The larger ones are about 2.5 inches in diameter. When you don't know what is gonna print, its always nice to just plop down ALL the nice boomer tops and see what happens. Clean scissors and gloves are all that is needed to cut this into multiple single prints each of which can be put into a sterile baggy or a bag similar to yours or an envelope or whatever your favorite way of storing them is.

Here is my personal favorite and stealthy too...I spose I should make a tek for this but here is the final product:

Upload

MUCH stealthier as a bookmark than as a purple bag in the fridge. I give these out by the dozens to friends, family, etc... and MOST do not know that there are magic spores within the cool bookmark. The tyvek print is inside a little acid-free plastic pouch and then cold laminated with the cartoon.

Yes it is a lot of work for being able to store prints stealthily for YEARS, and literally haveing a spore Library (that pun always gets me!!!) and if ever I lose everything to a fire, I will always be able to find one of these bookmarks somewhere. Makes sending in the mail nice too.

Plus...don't you think that spore prints have an artistic value too? They are very cool either way.

So, to recap, Mycota has probably the best way of dealing with quick turnaround and making of syringes IMHO. I think MY way has it's merits also. Tyvek will give the spores up very quickly to ultrasonic energy in a clean bag too. But really, foil and other methods all work too. It really depends on what you plan to do with the print. Is it going to be around for a while? You using it for trade bait? Gonna frame it and put it on display? LOL :-)
ShedTheMonkey

"The acceptance of indeterminancy is the beginning of wisdom," -- from Mindswap by Robert Sheckley

I_am_me (I_am_me)
Username: I_am_me

Post Number: 3091
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 06:08 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sure think they're purty.
"Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds."

Python (Python)
Username: Python

Post Number: 1608
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 08:45 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mycota, instead of the rubbing can't you place the autoclavable bag into a ultrasonic for spore dispersal?
It's just a hobby that i picked up in the lobby.........

infidel (Seether)
Username: Seether

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 04:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JoeDirt, I love your avatar, what pretty little guy you have there! I have a female slider myself, she's a doll :-)

And these prints are so pretty, I agree with a previous poster, they are like artwork in and of themselves :-)
I have MPD and one of my personalities has a wild imagination, hence the posts on boards like this.

Joe Dirt (Davros)

Post Number: 222
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 01:13 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thx infidel
i really like chelonians
i have 2 yellow-bellied sliders (male & female),
an eastern mud, and a spiny soft-shell.
also have a sulcata tortoise

Joe Dirt (Davros)

Post Number: 223
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 01:17 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

those are some nice prints

so far we have:
foil, tyvek, and autoclave bag material

anyone use anything else?

Morthos (Morthos)
Username: Morthos

Post Number: 34
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 01:44 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would you believe lunch baggies?

I select a cap that's started dropping spores. I put about 15ml pre-sterilized water in a clean shot glass, and stir in a blob of betadine. I swab the cap with this, making sure it's not too wet afterwards.

I cut the cap so that it will rest on a 1/4 inch of stem, to keep the gills off the plastic - otherwise the spores would stay on the gills when I lift out the cap later.

So I insert the cap into the bag, and seal it. 36 hours later I remove the cap and reseal. Then, with a syringe full of sterilized water, I pierce the bag near the top and inject the water into the bag. I remove the syringe & seal the hole with electrical tape. I mix the print with the water, then pierce the bag again and remove the solution.

This is done in a glovebox as a precaution. It's a pretty easy method, and because it's not a freezer bag, the print will dry out over time.

thefungione (Thafunkyone)
Username: Thafunkyone

Post Number: 222
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 02:14 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shed....YOU'D be the man to print and put em on cartoons...I love it bro.
Just because I'm always drunk doesn't make me an alcoholic

Imok Urok2 (Imok)
Username: Imok

Post Number: 1988
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 02:20 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the archives a member reported using a aluminum can.
He would cut the ends off and then in half.
Then he would clean the surface and print on it.
He would then fold the aluminum over to protect the print.
Then to use it he would open the aluminum and scrape
off the amount of print he wanted to use and refold
the aluminum.

Link:Spores, Prints & Syringes How to make your own syringes from prints and how to get prints from shrooms(become totally self sufficient with this information)

Hope this helps :-)

Imok Urok2 (Imok)
Username: Imok

Post Number: 1989
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 02:21 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW Archive Material to Prints & Syringes
Hope this helps :-)

hydrodad (Hydrodad)
Advanced Member
Username: Hydrodad

Post Number: 97
Posted on Friday, February 04, 2005 - 02:24 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I open a plastic package of sterile surgical gloves and use the inside of the inside paper wrapper that contains the actual gloves. It is a sterile field. When I do this I am already masked.
Any day above ground is a good day.

Cutty (Cutty)
Username: Cutty

Post Number: 747
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 04:52 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just use a fresh piece of paper from the middle of my printer paper stack.
Death Before Dishonor.

Looper (Looper)
Username: Looper

Post Number: 286
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 07:17 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just did some autoclavical bags and it seems to easy. Fill up and sonicate. POW, there you go.

Mycota (Mycota)
Username: Mycota

Post Number: 147
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 08:53 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I just did some autoclavical bags and it seems to easy. Fill up and sonicate. POW, there you go.

AGREE ^^^

CptnMaxMushroom (Captainmax)
Username: Captainmax

Post Number: 598
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 03:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of the bigger suppliers use acid-free paper...

www.sporelab.com
Visit the SporeLab
It's a trip you'll never forget!

Mushit (Mushit)
Username: Mushit

Post Number: 16
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 01:11 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Free Acid?!!! Where???........
Oh, you said acid free. Thats no fun.. Hee Hee.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: