Tried Rye Tek - What'd I do wrong? Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Substrate: Shroom Food Tried Rye Tek - What'd I do wrong? Previous Next

Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Realschmeal (Mindovermycelia)
Username: Mindovermycelia

Post Number: 308
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 05:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok, I wanted 7 jars, so I counted 2/3 cups 7 times, soaked with coffee water for 36 hrs, boiled for 10 min, let em dry. I only got 4 jars. Did they get enough water or did I use too little rye? I think I had enough water sitting on them, kind of hard to tell as they were in a bowl at the time (I'll use the pot next time).
I'm feeling trapped in my own body - Alice Donut

Golly (Golly)
Username: Golly

Post Number: 430
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 05:53 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I use 1 cup rye per qt jar - ends up bout 2/3 full...

Post Number: 309
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 05:58 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks, so they're def hydrated enough, cause I used about 4 cups, maybe just a little more, and a couple are slightly more than 2/3 full

rodger (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 5625
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 06:16 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since I wrote that, I've begun using one cup per jar myself. It's better to use more rye, and hydrate it less. I also only fill jars a bit over half way. This leaves plenty of room to add grain when you do g2g, and it's easier to shake too.
"He blesses the boys, as they stand in line,
The smell of gun grease-their bayonets they shine.
Hes there to help them all that he can.
To make them feel wanted,
Hes a good holy man."
The Animals

petri dish (Petri)
Username: Petri

Post Number: 355
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 07:34 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RR, where might I find your rye tek? When you say hydrate it less, do you have revisions to your tek? I am curious how much less to hydrate.

rodger (Skyypilot)

Post Number: 5631
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 07:52 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just don't make it soggy. The grains should never be more than double the dry size.

My rye tek:
Measure out your organic rye berries from a health food store, one cup for each quart jar you intend to make. Place them in a large pot. Rinse the heck out of them. Fill the pot with hot tap water, shake and swirl it around and pour it out. Do this three or four times until the water you pour out is clear. You'll be able to see when you have nice clean water to pour off instead of water filled with chaf and dirt. You want to now cover the rye berries with three times as much hot tap water as you have rye. Use half coffee and half plain water. In other words, if you have two inches of rye in the bottom of your pan, you should have six inches of water/coffee above that, for a total of 8 inches. At this time, add a pinch between your thumb and forefinger of hydrated lime per cup of rye. Ten cups of rye berries would get ten small pinches of lime. Add 1/4 teaspoon per cup of rye of gypsum. Stir these into the water/grain well. Cover and leave this to sit for 24-36 hours. Don't freak out if you go 48 hours and it smells like it's fermenting. No problem. Stir well and set the pot on the stove. Bring to a boil. Boil for ten minutes, then, WHILE BOILING, drain the contents through a very large collander. (spaghetti strainer) If you're making a large batch, you may need more than one collander. Tip the collander side to side to get the rye to drain as much of the water as you can. Then, shake the collander in order to 'toss' the grain. This will cause a lot of steam to rise from your rye. Great. Do this a time or two, then let it sit for five minutes, then repeat. When all the moisture that will drip or evaporate from your rye has already done so, load your jars. The rye should look and feel dry to the touch when you load the jars. All the moisture you need is inside the grain. Fill jars no more than 2/3 full if they are to receive grain to grain transfers, or no more than 3/4 full if they are to be inoculated by spore syringe or agar wedge. Use a lid with a synthetic filter disk, polyfil, tyvek or similar. Cover with foil and PC the jars for at least 90 minutes at 15lbs. I use 120 minutes. When the jars are cool, they're ready to inoculate.

Hes a good holy man."
The Animals

petri dish (Petri)
Username: Petri

Post Number: 357
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 08:40 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice, thank you.

Post Number: 310
Posted on Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 08:50 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, thanks Roger. I will use the lime and gypsum next time.

Ferment (Ferment)
Username: Ferment

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 12:04 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hippie - would be good to add this to the archives. I for one used Roger's original writeup and had the same problem.

rodger (Skyypilot)

Post Number: 5632
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 01:07 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Probably should. It works better than the old recipe. Archive material to grain preparation.
Hes a good holy man."
The Animals

raeb (Raebis)
Username: Raebis

Post Number: 677
Posted on Sunday, February 06, 2005 - 01:14 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i use 2/3rd cup for pint jars.
Spi raeb º ¥
xbox?

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: