Cake progress & ? : mycrotek cake 2nd... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive BRF TEK : BRF Cakes. Cake progress & ? : mycrotek cake 2nd injection Previous Next

Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Another update! good newsToadail Hippie3 8 1 02-16-05  04:19 pm

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Toadail (Toadail)
Username: Toadail

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 11:49 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's been about three weeks now and only two of twelve cakes have any growth whatsoever. One jar became infected and it's long gone but the two jars are coming along it looks like. The spots are still bright white and starting to cover about a quarter of the jars. I am now starting to get worried about the other jars though. If after three weeks there is no sign of growth, do I just wait longer or assume they won't start? The two jars with growth are still growing only from the original spot, not on all four sides.

Also, one day after I opened my windows for a few hours (which I dunno if it's even relevant) I noticed some condensation on the inside of the jars where the growth is. This doesn't seem to be a bad thing, but I wasn't expecting it. Is this ok?

I just hope that since the jars are 12 ounces instead of half-pint (following the PF tek with about 1 cc per jar) it will be enough solution for the entire jars to be covered.

Also a question on the spore syringes. I'm assuming that since they are mailed in a box that they can be stored at room temperature (though it's a bit warm in here)?

(Message edited by toadail on February 09, 2005)

Realschmeal (Mindovermycelia)
Username: Mindovermycelia

Post Number: 323
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 01:20 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you have more spores shake em up real good and re-innoculate the other jars as long as they still look they way they did when you made them.
There should have been growth in all jars within the first week after innoculation.
In my experience the condensation is normal.
I have had probs with jars not colonizing from all four injection points before and I shot em up again - with a different strain even - with good results. I keep all spores prints and syringes in the fridge. Although room temp will not destroy them, they last longer in the cold.
I haven't heard of many people making larger pf cakes, I am sure someone will refresh my memory about why the 1/2 pints are best. I think the whole rice cakes described in the 9er tek are done with pints but I don't know why.
I'm feeling trapped in my own body - Alice Donut

neverblink (Dial8)
Username: Dial8

Post Number: 263
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 02:23 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think the whole rice cakes described in the 9er tek are done with pints but I don't know why.

i have not read that tek but it may be because it takes shaking the rice to distribute the spores through out.
Yea the condensation is normal my jars always have a condensation build up.

Taoist Shredder (Taoistshredder)
Username: Taoistshredder

Post Number: 2458
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 03:13 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

}It's been about three weeks now and only two of twelve cakes have any growth whatsoever. One jar became infected and it's long gone but the two jars are coming along it looks like. The spots are still bright white and starting to cover about a quarter of the jars. I am now starting to get worried about the other jars though. If after three weeks there is no sign of growth, do I just wait longer or assume they won't start? The two jars with growth are still growing only from the original spot, not on all four sides. }

Three weeks and no growth is not good. This sounds like my first grow; I only got 6/24. The
good news is that all you need of the four points is one point of growth and it will take over the
jar - it just takes longer, which is why we use more innoc points (though some use two not four).
This is also the reason for using halfpints and not pints as they take less time to colonize.

Also, one day after I opened my windows for a few hours (which I dunno if it's even relevant) I noticed some condensation on the inside of the jars where the growth is. This doesn't seem to be a bad thing, but I wasn't expecting it. Is this ok?

When cakes sit inside glass they have a slightly higher temp inside than outside; if the room temp
is 74 then the cake will be 76.
The glass helps insulate as well as that the
fungus does create its own heat (good old metabolism).
"This facilitates what we like to call 'The Beer Can Effect'." - BioDome
Normally, with a cold can of beer, the air is warmer than the beer, ergo the moisture from the
air condenses on the outside of the can.
In this case, it's just the opposite; when you opened your window you caused the temp to drop
outside of the glass but not inside the glass, ergo condensation inside your jars.
And it's nothing to worry about usually.

Also a question on the spore syringes. I'm assuming that since they are mailed in a box that they can be stored at room temperature (though it's a bit warm in here)?

You assume correctly. The key to keeping syringes is to have them in a stable temp - when water is
heated it expands and solution will leak out of the syringe. For best results keep them in the fridge.
Your memories of the past
Are no more real than
Your visions of the future

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 31259
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 03:33 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sounds like spore failure
i'd try re-injecting the jars with different spores

Namaste

Toadail (Toadail)

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 05:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanx for the feedback all. :-) I would've thought after three weeks the cakes would be a little dry but I guess not! I'll innoculate later today and get back with the results.

By chance, since my jars are bigger, could I have bigger flushes? .. :-)

rodger (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 5681
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 05:48 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I believe if it were me, considering that it failed this time, I'd make up a fresh batch of jars to use with a new syringe. Be sure to follow the recipe to the letter.
"He blesses the boys, as they stand in line,
The smell of gun grease-their bayonets they shine.
Hes there to help them all that he can.
To make them feel wanted,
Hes a good holy man."
The Animals

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 31282
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 06:49 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

he proly would
except that he paid good money for the jars
and proly wants something to show
for his investment.
since there's no evidence of contams
the odds are still pretty good that
the jars are useable,
i've re-injected many failed brf jars over the years with good results,
only lost the time.

Namaste

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 31283
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 06:51 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

By chance, since my jars are bigger, could I have bigger flushes?

bigger or more or both
but no guaranty as there are many variables in play, the potential is there but the cultivator's skill must fulfill it.

Namaste

jeklhyd (Grosscaricature)
Username: Grosscaricature

Post Number: 223
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 07:19 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You could sterilize the failed jars again and reinject.

Nice avater btw!

Looper (Looper)
Username: Looper

Post Number: 316
Posted on Wednesday, February 09, 2005 - 07:48 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should be fine just reinnoculating the jars with a new syringe. Get it done asap.

Toadail (Toadail)

Post Number: 10
Posted on Thursday, February 10, 2005 - 11:45 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanx jeklhyd!

Well I reinnoculated the jars, but the tip of the syringe barely tapped the top of the jar lid. I hope that doesn't contaminate anything. It's hard not to do. :P

vrooota! (Vrooota)
Username: Vrooota

Post Number: 332
Posted on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 02:38 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you can always clean it with rubbing alchol and wipe the jars and yur ahnds before you knock em up.
I am what you see

Toadail (Toadail)

Post Number: 11
Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 12:35 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

too late ;(

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 31629
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2005 - 11:23 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

updated
see subtopic linked at top
archive material to mycrotopia

(Message edited by admin on February 16, 2005)

Namaste

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: