Terrarium Idea Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Grow Chambers & Clean Rooms. Terrarium Idea Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Tarbosh Palace (Tarbosh)
Posted on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 05:15 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is my Idea for a terrarium, let me know what yall think My Terrarium

Bobby Pyn (Darbycrash)
Posted on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 06:24 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey tarbosh that looks cool. jsut one thing though, instead of trying to get computer fan to go on low, just get a 12V transformer, wire the fan to that and hook the transformer to a timer, so that it just comes on for a minute or so every few hours, that way it wont blow too much air through and mess with your temp. or humidity. and to off set the cost of the transformer and stuff, you could maybe use perlite for your humidity instead of a humidifier.

Erebus (Debremus)
Posted on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 - 08:39 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perlite works well but at the cost of added materials and the inconvenience of cleaning em out, those damn things stick to everything.

Nice setup, it looks like it would work pretty nicely. I wonder what added things none of us have thought of that would greatly or even mildly increase production.

Apro (Apro)
Posted on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 07:18 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The computer fan blowing out right?

You want your humidity to enter the chamber from the top and your output at the bottom to release the built up co2. This set up would be perfect for cakes but I use it as two cased beds.

my terrarium

Apro (Apro)
Posted on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 07:21 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and here you can see the rh input. I have no output for air, this creates positive pressure within the chambers, keeping contams out.

my terrarium

kevin (Mycomadman)
Posted on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 11:47 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that looks like a sweet setup! Computer fans are fast. They usually spin at around 5000 - 7000 Rpms. You would only need around a 30 sec run to recycle air. It would probably be a good idea to put a hepa filter between the fan and the bin that way you can recycle clean air in and no contams can creep in while the fan is still. And make a flap or another filtered hole for the exhaust air to leave. You can use a PC power supply and splice the fan wires into the 12v power connecter. Then put the whole power supply on a timer for like 3 events spread evenly through 24 hours. Just some ideas. Everyone .. please add and improve

kevin (Mycomadman)
Posted on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 11:49 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

come to think of it you can use that same concept for a glove box!

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 01:08 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a tip on that 'regulator' box.
a wad of polyfil makes a great 'filter' to keep out excess droplets and it won't clog up or get soggy like paper filters.

Apro (Apro)
Posted on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 - 11:43 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ive got a tiny computer fan that runs on a 9v battery that would be great for constant air exchange. 1 1/8" fan

Boomerstank (Boomerstank)
Posted on Thursday, December 19, 2002 - 08:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is my planned terrarium.
Terrarium

Sherm (Sherm)
Posted on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 09:05 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Easily modified with humidifier. Great for cold places.setup

Apro (Apro)
Posted on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 11:25 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boomerstank,

Is those diagrams a Q of how to build, like is it ok? Or are you just sharing your idea?

Is that "My" dual chambered terrarium? or your own creation cause that is exactly, to the T, my design. I dont have the output fans as they are not necessary and dont create positive pressure.
But if you came up w/ that on your own, we must be sharing a brain.
Im not accusing you of stealing my idea or anything, just to clarify.

Posted on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 01:50 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is my idea, I was inspired by the two above postings in this particular thread to build it, so I kind of shared both ideas. I thank you for the idea, it is my version of the two others. I already bought the supplies except the piping, and I am building it any day.
Do you know where to get the piping?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 01:57 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think i'd leave off the 2 fans, not necessary and could be problematic. just a small hole near the bottom, stuffed with polyfil, is plenty good to drain co2 if that's yer concern. try Home Depot [hardware store] for the pipe.

Posted on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 02:09 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How close to the bottom are you talking about hippie?
Im going to the hardware store now, and I have everything else covered. Hopefully ill know when i get back.
thanks
and how big should the hole be, any suggestions on exactly how to set it up, or just stick a chunk of polyfill in a hole, if so how big.
thanks again

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 02:16 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh, a hole about 1/4-3/8" in dia., as low as you can get it, in the floor even. just stuff it w/polyfil or cover with filter paper.

Posted on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 04:48 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will be posting pics of my finished product, I am building it now with my cousin who helped make my diagram. Everything is going great, will upload pics soon.

Posted on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 05:59 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apro (Apro)
Posted on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 07:18 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Beds or cakes?

Apro (Apro)
Posted on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 07:23 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remmeber to keep it tilted back or water will drip on your myc from condensation. And use iodine in your humidifier to keep contams away. Thats pretty much it. Its gonna be a pain in the arse to open the bottom, it is for me anyway.

Good job, great minds think alike, is what the Scotsman once told me

nomohiatus (Ben111000)
Posted on Friday, December 20, 2002 - 08:16 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

its seems that ergonomically there would be a better way than stacking the two bins, doesnt that make it a bit hard to access the bottom one?
I'm considering building a two or three chamber (stacked) wood and plexiglass terrarium with plexiglass doors that open outward like cabinets. like imagine three 70 gallon fish tanks turned on their side, one on top of the other, and then doors attached to the open tops (sides) of each one.

Posted on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 04:17 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What else can I put beside iodine? can i use 91% alcohol or lysol?
thanks

cowshitblues (Cowshitblues)
Posted on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 01:19 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don't use lysol or alcohol.. try bleach...

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 02:48 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don't put bleach in an ultrasonic unless you want to have to clean it pretty damn frequently, it leaves an alkaline residue.
better to stick to peroxide, in my opinion.

Posted on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 08:49 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

peroxide i can do.....thanks guys....I will take pics of my GIGANTIC casing attempt and let you know how it goes....

Apro (Apro)
Posted on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 03:06 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The peroxide dosent work for very long before it releases its extra oxygen molecule. Iodine will last a long time in the humidifier, you can get it the same place you find peroxide. Just my 2.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 02:08 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a humidifier doesn't stay full very long before it needs a refill anyway, making the break-down rate of the peroxide a rather moot point. it's good enough to last the couple days between refills easily,

johahn (Johahnchristo)
Posted on Monday, December 23, 2002 - 08:19 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

try attaching 3 legs(best if with wheels) to the box one on the same side as the pvc, the other two on the other side to support the weight, next connect th top section of pvc to the bottom with a plumbers seal for pvc the one that just looks like a rubber bracelet for this to work the bottom pipe is going to have to be larger than the top and is going to have o have a ridge to hold the seal where it is, that can be made by using pvc cement to attatch a ring of pvc just smaller than the pipe you are working with. next you slide the seal onto the top pipe then slide the top pipe into the lower pipe and use a shield/sleeve to add more contam protection too if you want.If all was done correctly you shold be able to just swing the op one off of the bottom one easily

Mooniper (Mooniper)
Posted on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 04:08 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi. I just posted some pics of a terrarium very similar to the one you're suggesting. The treat name is "New Terrarium from Santa". any suggestions!!!

Apro (Apro)
Posted on Thursday, December 26, 2002 - 07:24 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"a humidifier doesn't stay full very long before it needs a refill anyway, making the break-down rate of the peroxide a rather moot point. it's good enough to last the couple days between refills easily,"

Sure it lasts more than a few days. When only on for maybe a total of 2 hours a day mine lasts over a week! When I change water there is still plenty left inside. I used to put h2o2 in my water, but I would always end up finding mycelium growing in the water during fruiting, letting me know that my water nor the filter were doing their job. So I tried iodine a few drops per gallon, I havent seen anything grow inside since.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: