How I do straw Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive ArchiveSubstrate: Shroom Food ╗ How I do straw ź Previous Next

Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Troutlips (Troutlips)
Username: Troutlips

Post Number: 387
Posted on Friday, February 11, 2005 - 11:18 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First the straw goes through the Flowtron. In minutes I have enough for several projects.
Upload
When it comes out, it looks like this
Upload
I put it in an old pillowcase and put it in this large electric roaster I have.
Upload
I add a tablespoon of lime to the water and heat to 160 - 175F for about 90 minutes.
Then I remove the pillowcase and drain the straw until cool with this handy tool...
Upload
Just a bucket with the bottom removed and some mesh applied with zip ties.
When the straw is cool, it is ready to use.
I usually drain it over night. It will remain well hydrated for 2 - 3days afterwards.

Not a trained professional. Please try this at home.

Tumbz (Tumbz)
Username: Tumbz

Post Number: 569
Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 04:29 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice Straw Instructional Trout

See ya in Chat!

Tumbz
Note: Tum▀z is a fictional character from my imagination.

¬bĚsinth (Sinthetic)
Username: Sinthetic

Post Number: 19
Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 09:24 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

very nice, i like the roaster idea

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 31393
Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 05:38 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice start
add some pix of spawning & colonization, fruiting
etc
and it'll be good archive material

Namaste

Troutlips (Troutlips)

Post Number: 390
Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 11:15 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First assemble all the components. Here you see the container to be used. It has many good sized openings for air flow.Also pictured is a couple of quarts of colonized popcorn (in this case Texan),a similar amount of poo mix,paturized straw and all the necessary cleaners,bleach water spray and so on.
Upload
I put some clean paper towel on the bottom just to hold stuff in, this I sprayed with bleach water,200:1 ratio,water to bleach.
Then I make layers of straw,then spawn,then poo mix,repeat.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
I like to make the top layer straw. This layer adds moisture and forms a protective layer from air born contams.The whole thing is light and fluffy, not compressed.
This unit has 3 layers of each component plus the top straw layer, so 10 layers complete.
The last tray I made like this was pinning in about ten days.
In my next post I will talk more about the individual components.

Troutlips (Troutlips)

Post Number: 391
Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 01:07 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK let's talk about the poo mix.
When I put this together it was pretty un-scientific. I had a quantity of each component, so I mixed up a batch that was adequate for the project. I knew that I wanted it to be a little verm heavy to balance out the coir, which is more dense.
Anyway, none of this is written in stone. Feel free to add/delete as you see fit.
So roughly like this...
4 cups poo
4 cups coir
5cups verm
1 cup coffee grounds

You will have to prepare each item for mixing.
I bust up the poo to a fine soil like texture. This is important as the myc will not easily colonize a big hard poo nugget. This also helps with mixing and spreading later.
The coir must be broken off the brick and soaked in hot water until workable. This will take some time. Do this first. When soft, break it up fine too.
The verm and all the other materials should be moistened to field capacity before mixing.
The coffee grounds are used after brewing ,hopefully still wet.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Mix together as described and load into jars.
Place the jars in a large pot and fill at least 1/2 way up the sides of the jars. Careful they might float.
Starting with cold water, bring the water to a boil,cover the pot and shut off the heat.
When the jars are cool, the mix is ready to use.
This pasturize tek is by Rodger Rabbit.Hope I got it right Rodger.
This tek rocks because it is a lot less messy than other teks.
Some people might add a pinch of lime to each jar.Ground oyster shell might help if you don't have lime.
Apply the mix in layers as described in my previous post with straw and spawn.
The ratio is roughly
2 parts straw
1 part poo mix
1 part spawn
Spawn run is usually 7 - 14 days until pinning.
I just keep them in perlite tubs fanning frequently. Air movement is critical when using straw.
This type of thing would work well out doors in the warmer weather.
Anyway it works for me...

Upload

Insight (Insight)
Username: Insight

Post Number: 177
Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 01:18 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very in depth, thanks Trout!
"I create cultures, not those of politics or society, but those to be used by the people, for the people"

Sharkie Jones (Rainbowfungus)
Username: Rainbowfungus

Post Number: 832
Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 04:48 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey where do you get the bags of cow manure like that? Could please point me in the right direction? Where do you get coir?
Thanks for any info
God bless the Post Office, and tyvek.

Insight (Insight)
Username: Insight

Post Number: 183
Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 05:14 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should be able to find large bags of manure at any home improvement store. The coir can be found at pet shops.
"I create cultures, not those of politics or society, but those to be used by the people, for the people"

Post Number: 833
Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 01:31 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always looked for those things at my area pet stores and home omprovement centers, but no luck. I can never find bags like that of manure, the only one I can ever find is the Scotts 3 in 1 and that's junk.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 31462
Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 04:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol
yeah, i have a few hundred pounds of 3n1 i'd let go of cheap...

very nice follow-up, trout.
will make a nice addition once archived.
thx

Namaste

Troutlips (Troutlips)

Post Number: 394
Posted on Sunday, February 13, 2005 - 04:45 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got that bag of poo at Mal-Wart for $2.99!
The verm and coir at the local hydro-grow shop.

Post Number: 834
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 02:47 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you live in a warm climate? I'll have to check my local Mal-Wart and see if they have any poo in stock.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator

Post Number: 31502
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 01:26 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey sharkie
who's tits am i looking at in your avatar pic ?

Namaste

Shamrox (Shamrox)
Username: Shamrox

Post Number: 220
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 08:17 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Phoebe Cates man.....sooooo hot....want to touch the hiney. That's from Fast Times at Ridgemont High, one of the greatest movies of all time :-)
Pretty pretty pretty please, with a cherry on top....resize pictures :-)
READ THIS PLEASE!!

Post Number: 835
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 02:47 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup Phoebe Cates, from the imfamous scene where she busts that dude jerking off.lol.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: