Reishi extraction/ cultivation [invitro] Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Non Cubie Shrooms Reishi extraction/ cultivation [invitro] Previous Next

Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Golly (Golly)
Username: Golly

Post Number: 436
Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 01:12 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been interested in growing Reishi , for it's highly valued tonic and health promoting qualities...Traditionally the highest quality fungus is grown on logs partially buried in soil and takes a year or more to harvest in a greenhouse type environment..
My question is regarding the mycelium which also is said to contains the active compounds ...
The Chinese claim that a mycelial extraction is very inferior to an extraction of the fruit, others say there is no real evidence one way or the other...
Does anyone know of any research which would support the MUCH easier spawn extraction proccess...?

rodger (Skyypilot)
Username: Skyypilot

Post Number: 5717
Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 12:55 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The reishi tek I'm developing shaves 90% of that time off. I'm working full time now on developing commercial methods for small scale cultivation of gourmet/medicinals. I'm betting there are a bunch of young mycologists right here on this website who would grow legal mushrooms for profit if they had a reliable way to make some money from one or two rooms inside a house. I use jar culture for reishi, and from spawning until harvest was just 35 days. I have also been working on a reishi invitro tek. I've been pulling invitro reishi's out of the jars three to four weeks after inoculation on whole grains, hydrated with coffee of course. Once the fruits are dry, it's hard to tell the difference in taste from tea made from invitro fruits and those grown out into antlers or conks. Reishi is also said to be non-psychoactive, but I have my doubts about that. Drink one cup of tea and you feel instantly better. It's kind of like that feeling you get when you put on your heavy coat for the first time in the fall and find that 50 dollar bill you stuck in the pocket last spring and lost.
"He blesses the boys, as they stand in line,
The smell of gun grease-their bayonets they shine.
Hes there to help them all that he can.
To make them feel wanted,
Hes a good holy man."
The Animals

Golly (Golly)

Post Number: 437
Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 04:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK now your getting me all excited..He..he...Have u tried a water extraction of the Mycelium Rodger--does it compare to the real thing in your opinion..?
I would be very interested in any methods or insight you are able to share , of course i understand if your methods are trade secret related.
Last Quest...Have u been able to germinate the spores easily ..?
I'm planning to get some grain spawn from F. Perfecti...

rodger (Skyypilot)

Post Number: 5722
Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 07:56 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's no need in my opinion to harvest the mycelium when you can grow invitro reishi so easily. Reishi mycelium grows very fast. Quart jars colonize faster than with cubensis. When exposed to light from day one, if the rye berries were hydrated in weak coffee and buffered with gypsum, invitro fruits begin to form within a few days of full colonization.
Hes a good holy man."
The Animals

Golly (Golly)

Post Number: 438
Posted on Saturday, February 12, 2005 - 09:49 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Rodger, I'm gonna try invitro as u suggest ...I have some prepackaged Ganoderma coffy - good flavour....but never really know what your getting unless u grow it yourself....

Golly (Golly)

Post Number: 443
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 04:15 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P.Stamets noted in GGMM that Reishi fruited poorly on rye grains. So Rodger ,would u attribute your success to the coffy soak and the early light exposure or is there some other factor..?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 31524
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 04:22 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I've been pulling invitro reishi's out of the jars three to four weeks after inoculation on whole grains, hydrated with coffee of course. Once the fruits are dry, it's hard to tell the difference in taste from tea made from invitro fruits and those grown out into antlers or conks. Reishi is also said to be non-psychoactive, but I have my doubts about that. Drink one cup of tea and you feel instantly better

any chance the reishi is picking up some caffeine ?

Namaste

Hippie3 (Admin)
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 31525
Posted on Monday, February 14, 2005 - 04:22 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

When exposed to light from day one, if the rye berries were hydrated in weak coffee and buffered with gypsum, invitro fruits begin to form within a few days of full colonization.

gotta luv it.
archive material

Namaste

rodger (Skyypilot)

Post Number: 5750
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 09:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have no idea whether caffeine is the critical reagent or not. I just know for a fact that coffee is a godsend to the mushroom community. The commercial mushroom industry has not yet figured this out, so it might give a leg up to any one here who wishes to tackle reishi production.

The invitro fruits are as deformed and ugly as any you'll see from any species, but I would imagine the medicinal properties are still intact. You can see the invitro fruits in these jars. They're the dark brown spots against the glass. The second picture is two invitro fruits pulled from one of the jars. The yield is averaging over 100 grams wet per quart jar, which seems to make it a more effecient method of production, as opposed to inoculating wood and growing out conks or antlers.
Upload
Upload

Hes a good holy man."
The Animals

candykid420 (Candykid420)
Username: Candykid420

Post Number: 169
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 09:19 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow, that is pretty cool. I'm definitely going to try this. Thanks RR

Golly (Golly)

Post Number: 448
Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2005 - 10:41 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wild...So u just dig em out with a spoon...Do u recycle the spawn in any way...wondering if they can encouraged to fruit on top so that after the first fruit they could be induced to grow again...
Great stuff R....Gonna do a parallel grow - grain jars and a sawdust experiment...

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: