Its only fitting: UK Growers Guide Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Ľ Archive Ľ Fungi Forum / Misc. Noteworthy threads Ľ Its only fitting: UK Growers Guide ę Previous Next Ľ

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Scotsman (Barrowland)
Posted on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 06:23 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thats as this was scotsmans place of birth i should offer you a copy of this
hippie you make think is shit not worth archives but as i was born here and rival sites have it in there archives i should offer
happy tripping
scotsman

UK Growers Guide

Introduction
When I first started it was like a maze of names and phrases I had never heard of before in my life. When the veil breaks, inoculation, fruiting, pins, vermiculite, mycelium, perlite were all words I never associated with tripping.
I stumbled on mushroom spores and kits while looking at other substances available on line and I was hooked straight away. I never new much then but decided to take a chance and send for a kit containing 10 plastic 250ml containers, syringe and substrate.
When it arrived I was like a kid with a new toy, I quickly got everything together and before I new it the first spots of mycelium were showing after a week and within another 2 weeks I had my first flush. Then the learning process really started because everything I needed to start was in the well-equipped kit, so I decided to try and find everything I needed to be self-sufficient.

Definitions And Sources

Canning
The art of getting jam and fruit into jars is massive in America but practically unheard of here in the UK and as some equipment associated with canning is used in growing mushrooms, canning jars I had a hard job finding the best equipment for the job in hand.
I had the 10 jars I received with my kit, they are good plastic jars and I still use them but there only good for semi sterilization, boiling jars in a pot not a pressure cooker and as I never had a pressure cooker at this time it was plastic containers I was looking for.

Jars (glass and plastic)
After a lot of searching I found that Asda supermarkets sells good plastic Tupperware containers with good tapered lids and their 250ml about 40p each. Some of the lids were looser than others but when making your jars up put a layer of foil over the container before you put the lid on, this helps make the tighter.

If you have a pressure cooker and your looking for glass jars you can forget about finding any canning jars in the UK , we donít sell them because as I said earlier we aint into canning the way they are in the USA but alternatives can be found.

Bonne Maman jam is available in a lot of Tesco supermarkets and these make ideal glass containers for using for your pressure cooker also in Tesco Princes Finest Continental Pate make just as good jars, both are dearer than the plastic containers but are sound investments for the p\c user.

Vermiculite
Used in the gentle art of cake making, used in gardening and available in any BnQ, Homebase and most garden centers.

Perlite
Used for humidity and available at BnQ, Homebase and most garden centers.

Terrarium or Fruiting Chamber
BnQ again do a wide range of plastic containers is all shapes and sizes. Pick a dark one and make sure you get a clear lid, this saves you cutting the lid later to let light in. They do a 40litre one that holds about 15 cakes they also have ones that have wheels about 75 litre both are good and have good fitting lids.

Brown Rice or Brown Rice Flour
Well I have never been able to find BRF I just go for the brown rice and then put it in the coffee blender to make it into flour, try to get organic brown rice.

Temp Gauge, Humidity Gauge
Both available in BnQ Homebase and all garden centers.

Spores and Spore Syringes
The tricky part, who do you trust your money to? Well I started with a kit but donít recommend them because you can make you kit yourself cheaper.

I will give the sites I have bought off and have had no problems:

www.smartbotanics.com are a well established site who deal in good quality spores, kits and equipment and if your not happy you get a refund.

www.ralphstersspores.com is a top spore supplier run by Ralphster a well established member of the online mushroom community.

These are only two. There is many to choose from but I had no problem with these two sites.

Desiccant
Used for drying mushrooms, this can be found again at BnQ and Homebase at the plumbing section, Kilrock refill for moisture traps.

Conclusion
Well there aint much else you need to set your self up except a little skill and a little luck and once you get started you can take your own prints and trade them , so good luck and happy tripping.

scotsman

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 07:14 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i saw that over there.
nice of you to share it with us.
you should know by now that i would never call your efforts 'shit', scots.
archive material.

Scotsman (Barrowland)
Posted on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 07:26 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

highway to hell big man

Imok (Imok)
Posted on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 10:38 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Scot, don't believe anything that others may say.
We love you man
And always will.
(sniffing a little) you are like the fruit of our forum
I edited your post a little, added formating code and a
couple of titles or so.
If there is anything you don't like just say and I will fix it up.
You might want to add something to the Humidity/Temp guage
section about why you would want something like that.
Don't think I could quite match the way you phrase your words
or I would have tried.
It is a really great write-up man, might add a couple of pics
of your original kit and what you're doing now (for inspiration).
Again, really love you man
:)

groingrinder (Groingrinder)
Posted on Saturday, December 21, 2002 - 10:54 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great write up Scotsman! I really love Highway to Hell and all the early ACDC stuff.

CTW_Cowboy (Ctw_Cowboy)
Posted on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 08:31 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At Smartbotanics dot com they say this about the Golden Teacher strain,

Quote:

Again a mushroom with fantasy name. It refers to the somewhat yellowish stem of the fruitbodies. This mushroom has a slender stem and a golden brown cap. The gills are protected by a veil which becomes a ring around the stem after the cap opens. The mycelium is somewhat less vigorous than the PF genotype, but still appears within a week after inoculation. The spores of this genotype do ripen unusually fast. It is possible to inject a just-not opened cap with some sterile water, then soak it back into the syringe and use that for the inoculation of a new jar. Also the mushrooms are somewhat more forgiving than the fruitbodies of the PF genotype. They sporulate heavily in environments of 85 percent relative humidity and even lower. These qualities make this genotype especially suited for starting mycophiles who wish to make their own inoculants immediately.

Im particularly looking at the part where it mentions,

Quote:

...The spores of this genotype do ripen unusually fast. It is possible to inject a just-not opened cap with some sterile water, then soak it back into the syringe and use that for the inoculation of a new jar...

Is this true?

Pneuma9 (Pneuma9)
Posted on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 09:55 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

It is possible to inject a just-not opened cap with some sterile water, then soak it back into the syringe and use that for the inoculation of a new jar.

Ya, I was just gonna ask that. That's great! It should be sterile, no? If prints are sterile, and the veil has not yet opened?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, December 22, 2002 - 02:15 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

possible, but easier said than done.

Scotsman (Barrowland)
Posted on Tuesday, December 24, 2002 - 06:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I first started it was like a maze of names and phrases I had never heard of before in my life. When the veil breaks, inoculation, fruiting, pins, vermiculite, mycelium, perlite were all words I never associated with tripping.
I stumbled on mushroom spores and kits while looking at other substances available on line and I was hooked straight away. I never new much then but decided to take a chance and send for a kit containing 10 plastic 250ml containers, syringe and substrate.
When it arrived I was like a kid with a new toy, I quickly got everything together and before I new it the first spots of mycelium were showing after a week and within another 2 weeks I had my first flush. Then the learning process really started because everything I needed to start was in the well-equipped kit, so I decided to try and find everything I needed to be self-sufficient.
Canning, the art of getting jam and fruit into jars is massive in America but practically unheard of here in the UK and as some equipment associated with canning is used in growing mushrooms, canning jars I had a hard job finding the best equipment for the job in hand.
I had the 10 jars I received with my kit, they are good plastic jars and I still use them but there only good for semi sterilization, boiling jars in a pot not a pressure cooker and as I never had a pressure cooker at this time it was plastic containers I was looking for.

Jars (glass and plastic)
After a lot of searching I found that Asda supermarkets sells good plastic Tupperware containers with good tapered lids and their 250ml about 40p each. Some of the lids were looser than others but when making your jars up put a layer of foil over the container before you put the lid on, this helps make the tighter.
If you have a pressure cooker and your looking for glass jars you can forget about finding any canning jars in the UK , we donít sell them because as I said earlier we aint into canning the way they are in the USA but alternatives can be found.
Bonne Maman jam is available in a lot of Tesco supermarkets and these make ideal glass containers for using for your pressure cooker also in Tesco Princes Finest Continental Pate make just as good jars, both are dearer than the plastic containers but are sound investments for the p\c user.

Vermiculite
Used in the gentle art of cake making, used in gardening and available in any BnQ, Homebase and most garden centers.

Perlite
Used for humidity and available at BnQ, Homebase and most garden centers.

Terrarium or Fruiting Chamber
BnQ again do a wide range of plastic containers is all shapes and sizes. Pick a dark one and make sure you get a clear lid, this saves you cutting the lid later to let light in. They do a 40litre one that holds about 15 cakes they also have ones that have wheels about 75 litre both are good and have good fitting lids.

Brown Rice or Brown Rice Flour
Well I have never been able to find BRF I just go for the brown rice and then put it in the coffee blender to make it into flour, try to get organic brown rice.

An important part of any amateur mycologists set up,helps you monitor the temp\humid inside the terrarium and with temps in the UK cold these to items are a must.
Both available in BnQ Homebase and all garden centers,£1.50 each.

Spores and Spore Syringes.
The tricky part, who do you trust your money to? Well I started with a kit but donít recommend them because you can make you kit yourself cheaper.
I will give the sites I have bought off and have had no problems www.smartbotanics.com are a well established site who deal in good quality spores, kits and equipment and if your not happy you get a refund.
Also www.ralphstersspores.com is a top spore supplier run by Ralphster a well established member of the online mushroom community, these are only a few there is many to choose from but I had no problem with these two sites.

Desiccant
Used for drying mushrooms, this can be found again at BnQ and Homebase at the plumbing section, Kilrock refill for moisture traps.

Well there aint much else you need to set your self up except a little skill and a little luck and once you get started you can take your own prints and trade them , so good luck and happy tripping.

i made an addition in temp\hum\
and hey thanks agian for all the help and support i have had from all of you through the last year

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, December 25, 2002 - 12:48 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: