Old spores and new projects Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Spores, Prints & Syringes Old spores and new projects Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

myco domesticus (Mycophil)
Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 04:10 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've made this print from equadorian strain from shrooms grown out of a syringe from sporechicks,don't know if they are still around, anyway the prints are made in a small glass cup and are from the year 2000 ,they were sealed with masking tape and kept at room temps, i sterilised 75ml water mixed with a flat tsp of dextrose, lid on and alufoil,then in front of a hepaflowhood the dextrosewater was poured in one movement in the jar from the print ,this was on the 6th of this month,so after 8 days of incubation i see these little clouds appearing on top of the print that is stuck to the bottom of the glass,seems whitish and all the clouds have the same color,dextrosewaterjar
it could be bacteria also since i had the flue lately and all agarplates went bad with bacteria ,also the sterilised agar that wasn't inoculated was infected,shiny light orange bacteria ,the reishi's incubationroom is too cold so new aquariums are prepared
bain marie teksmall pieces of thick plexi are glued with silicons to the side of the aquarium to hold the plate for the reishibags
the one jar with the print and 3 new ones with spores from a newer print are incubating in the modified growchamber for small jars and petris

aquarium with heaterthe jars are standing ontop of a plastic plate on top of a part from a fridge that is folded twice to get the cultures above waterlevel
so since i have no (good) experience with liquid cultures , what you think is this bacs or myc ?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 04:14 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

spore chicks is long gone, ripped off quite a few folks on their way out, too.
nice to know 2-3 yr old print still good, i have a bunch that old, too.

Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 04:38 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the strain i've got from them was ok ,not a wild flusher but average i guess although very weak in potency ,it's out of curiosity that i tried this since seeing is believing and many litterature says the chances are little when they are older than one year, if it works out ok , it is a real easy tek for syringemaking ,if it doesn't block the nozzle(standard size needle)

Spacewarp (Spacewarp)
Posted on Tuesday, January 14, 2003 - 07:18 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had that same shiney, light orange contam on some of my agar plates too, wonder what it is? Doesn't seem to spread fast or bad, have been able to save cultures by moving a piece of good mycelium from contamed plate to another.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 01:39 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's one nice thing about agar, it's fairly resistant to contam growth, at least from what i see.
which is totally opposite of liquid cultures, easy to contaminate them.

Spacewarp (Spacewarp)
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 09:01 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Been doing some work with "strain sectoring" on agar, what is the best way to propagate a sector into mycelium solution for innoculation? Awefully slow with only a fragment into honey or karo? Seems there must be a better way. I can't see firing up the blender to fragment such a tiny bit of tissue????

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 01:23 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

most blenders are a bit too rough on the tissue.
i have an eberbach 'blender' with short stubby blades esp. designed for chopping mycellia, all metal, even the lid, fits onto a standard blender base/motor.
in your case, i'd cut out a wedge of agar, then finely dice it with a sterile blade before adding it to your liquid media for more growth.

Spacewarp (Spacewarp)
Posted on Wednesday, January 15, 2003 - 08:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds good, thanks Hip...

Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 05:16 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so until now the growth in the small jar is still going on , blobs white and little feathery at the side ,nothing like bacteria i think,the orange/brown at the bottom of the jar is the sporeprint and not contam, so here an update on the growth
liquid medium 1
and another one
liquid medium 2
it looks like the blobs are stuck to the sporeprint at the bottom,didn't know that the shrooms were amphibians,some questions arise ,if these blobs are getting bigger and presuming it is the right mycelium , how the hell am i going to get this in a standard syringe without blocking the nozzle?shaking it to the rythm of a samba?i'll check the archives on liquid media,see what pops up,if the other jars develop the same white blobs then i guess it is the right one since these are from another print

Spacewarp (Spacewarp)
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 05:21 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I put glass shards or broken cofee cup pieces in jar, (sterilised)then when you shake, it breaks up the mycelium enough that you can draw it into syringe without too much difficulty.

Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 08:08 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks,how you cut em once the glasspieces are introduced into the liquid? by stirring,i was thinking if i find something of metal that cuts well,then i could move it from the outside with a magnet to cut it without shaking,also is it the normal way that the mycelium develops at the bottom , when you sprinkle spores on top of the liquid ,would the growth not be visible first at the top ?btw i've been thinking that the pics could be sharper with the camera fixed because the sharp field in macroview is very little, 1 mm difference means clear or not clear ,so when holding the cam by hand,it is very difficult to make clear pics of macroshots,very mysterious inside that jar ,like a view from the bottom of the sea with these strange creatures ,rather flexible to different conditions,who develop in that sweet liquid,merging their bodies in the water,reminds me also of the human species who evolve from a liquid state also

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, January 16, 2003 - 11:45 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you might try to shake it to get those colonies loose from the bottom before they get even more firmly attached.
by all rights you should have scraped the print/spores loose from the bottom first.
since you have this situation, you can use a long needle to thrash about, fragmenting the mycellia.

Posted on Thursday, January 23, 2003 - 07:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i've been doing that thrashing with a needle but that flock of myc was way to stubborn to be teared apart ,i read the archives again on the needlereplacemnt but didn't find the right piping to do the trick , so while in town i thought up an old adress from medical supplies open to general public , and bingo :
new syringe
the next pic is a detail from the needle and a piece of metal that came with it for cleaning out the needle , the specifications of the needle are : diam 2.5 mm and length 50 mm , i'm sure this syringero (10cc)will do his job just fine , oh the cost of the syringe with one woundcleaningneedle was about 15 dollars and the numbers on the box have been removed until i know how unique these numbers are ,just a photoshopjob , must be my lucky day ,they also had inoculationloops and all that nice autoclavable tools , i told it was for tissueculturing what is not a lie in fact , also some 20 cc syringes without needle will find a proper use , i never order any empty syringes , if you don't want traces buy cash , after all i don't do harm to no one and everyone serious with mycology faces this shopping problem regularly and i see no reason not to buy it in regular medical supply stores,another trail that i found interesting is a dutch site on tools in pigeongrowing where they got very nice syringes ,looking really easy to work with and some with a lock so you can inject fixed amounts of liquid ,they sell a similar needle for feeding pigeons and other birds , so... i'll keep you posted
needle for woundcleaning

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 12:09 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice find,
i paid about twice that for similar [longer needle tho'] from fungi.com

Posted on Friday, January 24, 2003 - 07:05 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

used it first time today , it sucks up the myco blobs quite well , so i can still use these small jars to make prints and just let em grow till there is enough myc for inoculations

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: