Pix of my "Less-Than -Sterile-Environ... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Grow Chambers & Clean Rooms. Pix of my "Less-Than -Sterile-Environment" Grow Chamber Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Redmonk (Redmonk)
Posted on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 12:53 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's some shots of my set-up . I use a 48 qt. cooler for the grow chamber and another one for the incubator . I wanted to use something that would produce the sacrament in my cool , musty , "less-than-sterile" basement . The cooler's insulating properties make it a breeze to keep in the 76 degree range , even after the cover has been open for a bit. The smaller size makes it really easy to humidify too . It's also nice to have a hinged lid . I use a 100w fish tank heater in a tall tupperware spaghetti holder for heat . The tall container runs all the way from the bottom to the top of the chamber . Of course glass would be a better radiator of heat , but this works fine for now . The open-topped container also helps keep humidity up . There are also two funnel tips running through the front-top of the cover for misting through . Plugged with mini rubber stoppers when not in use .
I have 3 inches of perlite in the bottom ( like Hippie says -"more perlite equals more humidity") . On top of that sits some "egg crate" material to set the mushrooms on . This stuff is used as a covering material for fluorescent lighting . A drip shield is required for this tight of a set-up . I use those little clear mirror holders for mini handles and also to hold the shield in place . An arc is cut in the egg crate and the drip shield so the fish tank heater container can pass through to reach the bottom .
This grow chamber has to be opened very little . I've had no contams so far !

grow front

The top has a veiwing and light port hole (portal ?) . The hole was easy to cut with a 6 inch hole saw .A jig saw would also work . The frame around it is a cheap wooden clock frame with a glass face from Wal-Mart . It's glued on and screwed on from underneath . All screws , washers, etc. are stainless steel . After cutting the hole , some hollow cavities in the cover had to be filled ( I wanted the whole system to be easy to clean and sterilize ). I used a two-part epoxy wood filler .
A 4 inch in-line duct fan (on the left) is used to bring in fresh air . An empty cottage cheese container (lined with duct tape) makes a nice tight cover . The hole was cut with a 4 inch hole saw . Fit's as tight as a drum . I originally had some filter material rubber-banded over the intake of the fan , but it became damp from the humid air coming from the inside. I tried a light-weight damper on the inside of the fan , but between the filter on one end and the damper on the other , the motor was to wimpy to open it . So here's what I did : I attached the filter to a wooden hoop with a rubber band , Then attached a little handle to it . When I exchange the air , I just hold this over the intake . I use 3M "Micro Particle and Airborne Allergen Reduction Hammock Filter" material, two layers thick . Found it at Home Depot . The right side of the chamber has a 1 and a quarter inch threaded nipple ( held in place with lock nuts ) for the exhaust . It's plugged with a rubber stopper . I also have a switch for the fan laying near this area . So with my left hand , I pop off the cover and hold up the filter.....and with my right hand, I pull out the plug and turn on the fan . The whole porcedure takes about 10 seconds .
grow front
grow front
grow front

There is also a view window cut into the back of the chamber . On the inside , there is a rubber gasket on which a piece of plexiglass is screwed . On the outside , I screwed flat iron around the edge , and covered it with flexible magnetic sheeting ( check at your local sign shop for a scrap piece ) .

grow front
grow front
grow front
On the inside of the cover , I attached a shortened length of rope lighting for easy veiwing . The light I use to trigger growth is outside the chamber , attached to the inside-top of the cabinet (small low wattage grow light).
grow front
grow front
The chamber will hold 10 cakes sitting in their covers , but I found it to be a little cramped , so I built a second grow chamber , the economy model . Same thing , but with a piece of quarter-inch glass for the cover , and no back veiwing window .
grow front
Here is the grow chamber and the incubator in the cabinet . The back of the cabinet has a hinged door to access the back veiw window .
grow front
The incubator has the top of the fish tank heater coming through the outside of the cover . I removed the hinges from the cover . An indoor/outdoor thermometer is employed for both units. If light is needed to produce invitro pinning , I lay a 22w circular compact fluorescent around the heater container . Then I use a riser under the container to lift it up a few inches . The light travels down through the container and water and into the incubator quite nicely and provides a soft light for the babies !
grow front
Certainly this all could have been done easier (and probably cheaper) . Maybe I should rename it "The Man-Who-Has-Too-Much-Time-On-His-Hands" grow chamber . Hope you like it . Comments ? Suggestions ? --Thanx all--

sleestak (Sleestak)
Posted on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 01:25 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dude that is NICE!!! You really do have too much free time on your hands I love the setup...the one thing that I have never liked or used for that matter. The "Drip Shield"...you could grow twice as many cakes without it. Of course if quantity is not your objective then it makes no difference.

I have had great luck with 10 to 12 cakes in a setup like that...just fanning and misting the walls and the verm layer daily. But your setup is without a doubt the most self-contained. You should put those together and sell them as kits. Anyways, it looks great!
Peace
SLee

Floyd (Floyd)
Posted on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 01:27 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG Are you like an M.I.T-Poly Tech grad LOL? You are wasting your talents...Professional Shroom Box builder ~ Should be building missle defense systems or something sheesh....

nuecrew (Nue)
Posted on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 06:00 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the most usefull shroom device I ever made was made out of "sonotube". Round cardboard polyethylene coated tubes of varying diameters for pouring concrete supports. It was three feet high two feet wide, had a top, a door and a four tier lazy susan inside for the shrooms. Had a heater, humidifier, guages, twin cam, port and polished just kidding. It was the best for incubating. I forgot what ever happened to that thing. I discarded the inventions long ago for sterile procedure and learning how to make a good casing.

Redmonk (Redmonk)
Posted on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 02:17 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The drip shield , I think , is pretty much mandatory in this small of a chamber . There would be no way to just mist the sides without soaking the cakes . At least I have the lower end off the bottom by about 6 inches , leaving more grow space .

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, February 02, 2003 - 02:26 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whoa, wickedly bad-ass.
that's one of the most professional-looking set-ups i've ever seen, love the clock-porthole.
the lights are sweet, too.
in a chamber that small, with 3 inches of perlite and being that it's rarely opened, i'd guess that you could quite easily just omit any misting and pull the drip shield out for more space if desired.
the humidity should still stay right where you want.
either way, very nice.
you ought to sell those things, how long did it take to make ?
archive material.

Redmonk (Redmonk)
Posted on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 01:13 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad you liked it ! You're right , I prolly could skip misting altogether and omit the drip shield . Might be hard to sell them......materials are in the $80.00 -$90.00 range and about 7 or 8 hours to assemble . Maybe I could put one together for a Mycotopia raffle someday !

myco domesticus (Mycophil)
Posted on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 02:22 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i love your pics and the explanation , these coolers look very attractive , i enjoy that clockglass too ,like on a ship,building is part of the joy imo and it seems that you're spending your time well , i'd picknick with one of these any day !

Broken Alice (Brokenalice)
Posted on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 06:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Daaaaamn Redmonk, that's the shit!!!

I'm starting to realize I have a seriously ghetto setup, haha!!
My whole operation consists of two ten gallon tanks, one at 76 degrees and one at 84 degrees, and one 2 1/2 gallon tank at room temp.

It's sad, I know, but for now, it's doing the job..

LOL

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Monday, February 03, 2003 - 07:36 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm pretty 'ghetto' my own self.
i keep it to the bare essentials.

Redmonk (Redmonk)
Posted on Tuesday, February 04, 2003 - 02:06 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey , whatever produces the mushrooms , fancy or plain.....it all works !

Redmonk (Redmonk)
Posted on Thursday, February 06, 2003 - 02:09 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forgot to mention one thing : Once every couple of months or so , when mushrooms are out of the chamber , I spray the motor with silicon or WD 40 to protect it from all the humidity . Otherwise it will eventually seize up . That's all !