Salt and stopping green mold [trich]:... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive » Archive » Bleach Dipping/ Salt Tek » Salt and stopping green mold [trich]: mad scientists inquire within « Previous Next »

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
A word on salt tekClavicepsclaviceps purpurea3 1 03-05-03  03:50 pm
Use of hippie's salt tekBoomerHippie34 1 02-19-03  11:50 pm

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 01:13 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the salt killed the cobweb instantly.
here's a post from shroomery,
someone else's results to date.
G a n j a
Pict

Reged: 12/03/02
Loc: Zone 8
Re: the use of salt in fighting trich [Re:Hippie3]
#1318152 - 02/19/03 08:51 AM

After reading your post about salt i had a patch of green mould turn up in a casing it tryed removing it but it came back so i tryed the salt tec and it seems to have held it in place for 5 days so far so thanks

Searcher (Novice)
Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 01:22 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which ocean, skypilot?

miracletrader (Miraclet)
Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 02:54 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ok hippie, My results are pending, but I removed a small portion from an older cake(3rd flush), trich was just starting in, so I removed the area, hit it with h2o2 solution, and layed the salt in the wound..I did dunk the next day, then re-applied salt to the site this morning..will let you know as time progresses..

I am going to make up a couple petri's to use solely for this purpose, a salt agar, and try it for awhile..I think I can be more precise with the area that "was" infected..This is definetly(salt) a TEK worthy of use though..

If its successful with cobweb, I will be thrilled..That is the #1 ender of my casings when they go bad..Very good research hippie...this is the thread I am the most interested in..

george w rodgers (Skyypilot)
Posted on Thursday, February 20, 2003 - 03:07 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pacific

Boomer (Boomerstank)
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 01:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Informative thread, deserves to be known to all.

*BUMP*

PS - Archive this thread mods?

Miraclet (Miraclet)
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 01:28 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I will confirm that, by cutting out the trich, on PF style cakes, or casings, lightly spraying either (h202, or bleach ) solution-1-200 ratio on both-where the infected area was, then filling it with salt, or salt agar does stop green mold, and doesn't seem to effect to cake/ casing in any way..I have tried this with 2 cakes, and three casings, and been successful with all..I also fought off cobweb using hippies salt TEK, so I can at least confirm from my end that when cobweb, or trich is caught in its early stages, it can be illiminated...

MT

David Burton (Eloquence)
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 04:31 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had trich on a cake that I had colonising, and just scraped off the worst, covered it with salt, and then misted the top with a dilute bleach solution. That saw off the trich... :)

claviceps purpurea (Claviceps)
Posted on Tuesday, March 04, 2003 - 11:51 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think I posted this before, but watch out for casings. The salt draws away the water if you have a lot on one side. Misting the dryer areas worked, and I am even getting pins now in the areas where I put the salt.

Oh, yeah -- no contamination!

-- cp

Miraclet (Miraclet)
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 12:57 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What..."I am even getting pins now in the areas where I put the salt"
I have used this on 5 different ordeals with trich, and never had so much as a wisp of new mycel. growth, hippie reported the same results, but your growing pins..The salt indeed stops the green mold, but also stops mycel. from regenerating there as well..

MT

claviceps purpurea (Claviceps)
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 03:49 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, I meant in the areas where I put the salt. They're growing from the sides of it, if I can get a digital camera I'll post pics.

Are you talking about casing? You need to *mist the dryer parts of the casing* more to balance out the osmotic potential. This is what I was trying to say.

Max Power (Babooscha)
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 04:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used the salt tek on a jar contamed by trich, I wasnt the most sterile person and got salt on one side of my cake....came back the next day....the whole cake was not only invaded by a green trich but a black contam aswell.....but atleast nothing grew on the spots i excised and salted as well as the side of the cake with salt on it

Miraclet (Miraclet)
Posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2003 - 08:12 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ouch...Ya, I had issues the same with salt, and I had success prior just removing the trich, and pasting plain agar in the area, so I tried making salt agar, and it worked..Plus, you can be more precise where the salt agar ends up...I dont remember where hippie had heard about this, but very good research, opens alot of possibilities..

peace
MT

Cänädiän Gröwer (Cänädiängrower)
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 11:45 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am impressed with all this new research with salt. Well done HIP, as usual.. I haven't been online for awhile, crazy to see all this info!
Is hip gone now? like what the hell is goin on? I have to read TONZ more threads to figure out all I have missed. I'm so outta the click. lol.

cheers

(Message edited by admin on March 16, 2004)

Shroomzhilla (Shroomzhilla)
Posted on Sunday, March 09, 2003 - 12:13 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

check the PF BUSTED thread it will tell the story
Hips not gone just takeing a well deserved holiday

Figment (Evo)
Posted on Thursday, March 20, 2003 - 07:32 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul Stamets has been talking about salt for a while now. If you read the Mushroom Cultivator in the section about contams under trich he talks about using salt to raise the ph to an intolerable level. Plus that added benefit of pulling the water out.

Admin (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 11:37 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pheyelo
pheyelo

Reged: 08/06/03

A word about Table SALT
#1785591 - 08/06/03 02:38 PM Reply Quote Quick Reply

A word about salt: I've been having problems with the green mold, trich I believe, for the past several weeks. I've had to flush at least three trays which was very painful for me. Just the other day I was reading about the salt trick and decided to give it a try. I'm happy to say that three days later I have had no more of the "green death" as I call it and the shroomies seem to be doing very well. It doesn't seem to inhibit the growth of the shrooms any and it keeps the mold at bay. I'm using it in my misting spray bottle but I'm thinking that I should probably get another bottle with just the H2O cause too much salt can't be good for them. Hope this helps somebody and or helps to give salt a good name in the shroom community. Good luck with you growing!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: