2 holes vs. 4 holes Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Jars, Bags and Containers- Lids & Filters Lids 2 holes vs. 4 holes Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Up or Down? - 1

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

I feel so weird (Phishgrower)
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 06:25 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

before i was introduced to the great fanaticus method, I read a tek that uses 2 holes in the top of the canning jars instead of 4. 6 out of my 12 lids have 2 holes, the other have 4. This is my 2nd attempt with the shroomies, they're in the pressure cooker now. My question is: with the jars with only 2 holes, do you think it'll work just as good if i add 1/2 cc into each hole? It evens out, but I'm thinking it just may not colonize as fast. I'm really anxious about this. I plan to take some and birth them normally, and put some others in a casing. I also did 3 of my jars using the inner resevoir tek. Hopefully that's as good as they say it is. Thanks again people.

Kaijan (Kaijan)
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 07:04 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The idea behind having 4 holes is to allow the outer surface of the cake to colonize faster, thus eliminating any chance of bacteria/mold getting a foot hold.

If you use two holes, you would probably have more rhizomorphic growth, but it would probably end up taking from 3-5 days longer to colonize. I would guess. Don't forget the higher chance of contams growing in the uncolonized areas!

kai.

Hongus (Hongus)
Posted on Thursday, October 04, 2001 - 07:26 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

actually, you could get by with only one hole...
the thing is, it will take considerably longer due to the less amounts of innoculation points... think of it as a race to get the jar to colonize faster than what the contamination can.

Tim Leary (Timothyleary)
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2001 - 12:39 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

then why not 8 holes?

Brad (Raze)
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2001 - 12:45 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not just have no lid, and dump the innoculation into it?
There's a thing called overkill

Lichen (Lichen)
Posted on Friday, October 05, 2001 - 12:47 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's tedious and unnessesary, that's why. But you can do it, and probably get faster results, too.

Old timer showed us an experiment where he took a large jar, filled it with substrate, and inserted several dowels long enough to go from top to bottom, then he sterilized it. Removing the dowels in a cleanroom, he then packed the dowel holes with ground cakes. He says the colonization time is exemplary.