Refrigerator Set Up? Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Grow Chambers & Clean Rooms. Refrigerator Set Up? Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Bela (Ask4id)
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 12:10 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone ever set up an old refrigerator as a growing chamber? It's sealed, waterproof, etc. I
If so, do you have any pics, ideas, etc.
thanx

drugiedugie (Dugzup)
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 02:18 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm experiementing with a couple of old chest freezers right now but am having trouble controlling temps within the enclosed environment ,but other than that they are workin superbly! I have 40 plants in one under 400 watt hps and they R lovin life !
The other I'm using for a mushie incubator and its workin also but I need better temp control!
I think they are a perfect place to try to control the environment with a bit of expierementing!
anyone else?

Shroomzhilla (Shroomzhilla)
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 12:17 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe run a filtered hose between the two to exchange the co2 for o2? a beneficial set up if I ever saw one.

Mod Maliki (Maliki)
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 01:44 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a very good section in the archives on using old fridges as chambers heres the link Fridge chamber setups and disussions.
There are a few diffrent problems to be delt with and if you have some ingenuity you will do just fine....
If you need more help or information simply ask ....

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 01:55 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cool, i wasn't able to find that when i tried,
thx, maliki.

Mod Maliki (Maliki)
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 02:09 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also the key to this type of set up is thermostats to control all of it . One for heat and one for cool/exhaust . Just a little thought is needed .
Hell if you lay hands to an operating fridge just play with the controls until it comes on and off in the 7o to 75 range then all you need is heat for the freezer portion as an incubator.... Many posabilitys ..

Microfile (Microfile)
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 02:59 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you could get it to 50 you could fruit azures....

--
Micro

Stephen L. Peele (Fmrc)
Posted on Thursday, April 24, 2003 - 08:49 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I made a post here "Converting A Refreigerator To Grow Cold Weather Loving Mushrooms". slp/fmrc

Bela (Ask4id)
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 12:07 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanx alot

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 02:53 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it'd be cool if you could post pix and details once you get it working.

Stephen L. Peele (Fmrc)
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 03:09 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could not find the "Converting" article I posted.
Sorry, if others could not find it either. What's the deal on that.....grin. I could copy/paste it again here, if anyone wants me to. slp/fmrc

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 03:10 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

look at the top of this page, stephen,
i linked that article as a sub-topic to this page so to tie the 2 threads together.
sorry for any confusion the move caused.

reshroomED (Reshroomed)
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 04:03 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looked at top of this page and the link involves instructions that are VERY dangerous. DO NOT DO THIS.
There is no way of knowing (unless you're a pro and can, roughly, verify current-rating of a wire by looking at it) what sort of load that light-socket can support.
ed

Mod Maliki (Maliki)
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 01:07 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By law it is 14 gauge . 120 volt has a minimum rating of 14 gauge wire . 14 gauge wire has a maximum rating of 15 amps .So you dont want to go over 15 amps.
Now if you look at the information tag on the unit it will tell you how many amps it draws in use. Take this number and subtract it from 20. Unless you can idetify the exact circut the unit is on and anything else that may be runing on the same circut you shouldnt plug the unit into the wall as you can create an overdraw and blow circuts. Also be sure the unit is actualy on a 20 amp circut with 12 gauge wire. Now subtract your toatal amps of the unit from the 20 available amps of the circut . What ever the amount left is the amount you can safely use from the 15 amp light socket in the unit. Just be sure not exced the 15 amp limit.
Any more safety isues??????

Microfile (Microfile)
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 01:18 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW!

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 02:18 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any more safety isues??????
one needs to be careful of small children who might unknowingly crawl inside old fridge/freezers, they have been known to suffocate.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, April 25, 2003 - 03:06 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material, we'll add all three of these related threads to info already on topic.

Mod Maliki (Maliki)
Posted on Saturday, April 26, 2003 - 05:17 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

electrician

Sufocated kids Instal locks on each door..

Shroomzhilla (Shroomzhilla)
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2003 - 06:09 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

locks will keep the little buggers from eating your crops too although I just profess all mine are for research and are of the deadly poisonous variety

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: