Perlite Question Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Grow Chambers & Clean Rooms. Perlite Perlite Question Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Perlite FAQ - 1

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Bobby (Bobby)
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 04:28 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So let me get this straight: you put a layer of Perlite on the bottom of an aquarium pour Water to make it damp. Put your Cakes on top of the perlite, then seal it and the only thing you have to do is fan the CO2 everyday? That seems too easy. Why doesn't everyone do this. Why is there a big discussion on Humidifers, Fish Tank Bubblers, Spraying the aquarium. If its that easy why doesn't everybody use this method? Whats the catch?

Lichen (Lichen)
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 04:43 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There isn't a catch...but don't put the cakes directly on the perlite; put them on their lids. Double-end Case as per PF Tek, meaning fill the jar lids with moistened Vermiculite, and put a bit of moist verm on top of the cakes, too. I use perlite, it works just fine :0)

Bobby (Bobby)
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 04:53 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you say double-end casing You mean the PFTEk, wright? Wet verm. then dry verm in jar. That is double end casing? What are the cons of the perlite method. It just seems to easy!!!!!!!!

Kooka C. Burra (Kookaburra)
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 05:04 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, you've got a bunch of wet perlite sitting there...bacteria will grow in it, and it will start to smell. You're gonna have to replace the perlite periodically (though I read someone used the same perlite, with some H2O2 mixed in, for 4 months without contamination problems).

No automatic gas exchange, and potentially more mess (or at least not as tidy looking) than a humidifier or hand misting...those are the only drawbacks I can think of.

Lichen (Lichen)
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 05:05 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

take the cake out of the jar, hold in your hand.Scoop the lid full of verm. Put cake on top of verm-filled lid. Add a few teaspoons of verm on top of cake. Moisten. I use a syringe to moisten the verm, it actually takes 30-50 cc's. This is the double-end casing. Your cake is in the open, in the fruiting chamber, not in the jar. It's sitting on moist vermiculite.
The perlite humidifier is very very easy, man. I have been using this method for more than two years, and it works great. Trust me, you don't need an expensive humidifier. I have 1 1/2 inches of perlite in the bottom of a 10-gallon acquarium, and I haven't changed or treated the perlite for at least three flushes, a couple months.

Nanook of the North (Nanook)
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 05:13 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bobby it really is easy. Double-end casing in a growing chamber is simply filling a jar lid with verm, soaking it with water, placing a cake on top of it, then sprinkling a few tablespoons of verm on top of the cake and soaking the top verm down: doubled-end cased.

As for it does not contam that readily. It really is not that much of a problem if you keep it clean... Perlite is puffed rock, contams do no grow on rock unless they have food. Verm is puffed rock also, same story. If you don't let spores drop in the grow chamber, don't let dirt, aborts, etc. fall to into the Perlite you will have minimum problems: in between flushes (when you clean off your cakes) rinse the Perlite in 9 parts water with 1 part H2O2 and dump it back in. In most cases this is all you need. Replace the perlite when you replace your cakes.

Black Star (Mr_Bug)
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 05:59 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Should you mix some H202 with the water that soaks the perlite? I've never tried it either. I suppose if you use distilled water to soak the perlite you would rarely have to worry about unwanted biology.

When I double-end case, I always cut a sliver off the top and bottom of the cake before casing. Then I spread some damp verm on top of the cake. Is all this unnecessary?

Bobby (Bobby)
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 06:37 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks guys. I will try it. I just can not believ people would try anything else(except for the mess) once again thaks alot. Happy shrooming. I will put some pics on the board as soon as the are ready.

Brettiejams (Brettiejams)
Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2001 - 06:50 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cleaning perlite may be a bit messy...but that is really the only drawback that I see with it.

Nanook is right... it rarely contams.

I get cakes and casings to fruit just fine with perlite.

To Black star, yes you can put a little peroxide in the water with the perlit itself... but if you do , just be sure that the cakes do not touch the perlite at all.

whoever (Livedangerous)
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 - 01:02 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

do you just mix up pelite and water? add peroxide was it, to keep down contamination? how much water? how much peroxide? any sterilization of the mixture necessary? add how much water how often?

Nanook of the North (Nanook)
Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 - 12:45 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Soak the perlite down until it floats, swirl, drain, dump into the grow chamber. Add 1/2 cup peroxide. No further attention is needed until the flush is done.

Once the flush is over, pour in some peroxide, mix, pour off the excess, and you are ready for the next flush and so on. That's about the extent of it.

Shroom Glossary

Kevin Smith (Canshroom)
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2001 - 09:48 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does it really matter what type of water you use with the perlite? I'm prepared to use spring water if need be, but if tap water is good enough, I'll just use that. Isn't it all the same when it's evaporated in the air?

hippie3 (Hippie)
Posted on Sunday, December 09, 2001 - 10:30 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you are absolutely correct,
just use tap.
you might add a couple splashes of peroxide as well, to keep things nice and clean.

Brad Overton (Euphorius)
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 08:22 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was reading over a posting on PF's site and saw some very nice fruiting pics with classic cakes (well, actually reservoir cakes) seated on damp verm. And it said, and I quote, "Vermiculite might be better than perlite-period. One can conceivably become 'perlite free'..."
It may have already been covered within this forum(if so, tell me where), if not, what are the disadvantages if any to this?

hippie3 (Hippie)
Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 02:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the only disadvantage i know of off-hand is that verm. contams easier than perlite.