Damp Rid air filter... (PICs) Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Fungi Forum / Misc. Noteworthy threads Damp Rid air filter... (PICs) Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

fungusmaximus (Fungaloid)
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2002 - 10:47 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most glovebox teks all have the same thing, they all filter the air before it goes thru the fan. This slows the fan down considerably, thus reducing positive pressure, or whatever you are using your fan for. This filter can be assembeled
in two different ways. The first, you can rig it so that the air goes thru a coffe filter then polyfil or reverse it for better fan efficency. I prefer it reversed.
Blowing thu fan/polyfil/coffee filter/clean enviroment. The strainer that comes inside the damp rid container proves very useful in the whole process. I lined mine w/ the coffee filter and then added some polyfil for extra protection.

Damp Rid air filter

Damp Rid air filter
this is the end that goes into the clean area.

Damp Rid air filter
The intake is the top of the container. If you want to build one, the pics are pretty self explainatory.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2002 - 11:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ok, i see now. this is for a positive pressure glovebox, a pre-filter to enclose the fan, correct ?

Posted on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 12:48 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yea, you mount it on your glovebox, terrarium, or whatever. I remember somone worried about the fan they had mounted to their terrarium shorting out or a possible fire hazard, due to the humidity, this would help in such a situation. But do you know what I mean about the reduced fan pressure?
How Nan, modified the 9ner glovebox, and added a second fan for more positive pressure. Well I think you may be able to get by w/one and have still have enough +pressure. I will post some pics of my glovebox, so people can get a better idea of how this works, its hard to explain...

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 01:22 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

But do you know what I mean about the reduced fan pressure?

sure, been there.
i added a second fan, too, on my earlier glovebox as you did.
some pics would be great, that really helps everyone, esp. new ones, in building their own.

Posted on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 05:06 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can check out my glovebox at Nan's Nook, until I can post it here. I cant post the link cause its in general and you have to be a member to see general posts.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, November 08, 2002 - 04:14 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

you have to be a member to see general posts.

Posted on Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 10:59 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My bad Hippie.
I got it comin....

Posted on Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 11:04 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I opted to use the fans the other way.
glovebox

glovebox
gloves are made from trashbags sealed, and heavy chemical gloves. The trashbags were wrapped around the arms leaving room to feel comfortable, then taped.
glovebox
The container hole above the fan is for transfering small items without opening the door. When not in use it is filled with polyfil and coffee filters.
glovebox
The fans were not sealed with anything but good ole duct tape. Cut your hole big enough to just barely squeeze in the fan/filter, then tape it up to make a seal.
Several people have said that this glovebox probably has enough + pressure to do without the gloves. Cut your armholes just a little larger than the forearm and hang a lysol covered rag over the holes while your hands are not inside the box.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 03:40 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material.

Posted on Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 06:01 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is an outside view of the air filter and transfer hole. The Trans hole is great cause you always forget something that was supposed to be in the box right in the middle of your work. Very handy.

transfer hole

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 10:41 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you know, i was looking at your transfer hole thing there and i got to thinking what you really need is a tube about the size of a pringles/tennis balls can, maybe smaller.
you fill the end inside the box with polyfil.
then you put your needed item in the tube, but before you pass it thru, you plug the tube behind it with more polyfil, after spraying in lysol.
thus you have a little 'airlock' of sterile space in between 2 wads of polyfil filtering the air.
then you just push thru the outer wad of polyfil until the item drops into the chamber, and your 'airlock' is ready to be re-loaded if needed.
follow my drift ?

Posted on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 02:08 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats a good idea
I figured that the positive pressure was great enough to ensure that no air would enter the glovebox. But w/the pringles can it would be sure that nothing would enter. Im working on some plans now to build a Deluxe Glovebox, that would ensure no contamination and have the room and extras to be comfortable and convenient. I will most likely use your idea and just elaborate on it.
I will be sure and take pics, and type up step by step instructions to share w/the board. Ill keep you posted

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 12:59 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sounds good to me, we need all the good glovebox stuff we can get as that's an area many newbies shy away from but good ilustrated threads like this really help build confidence.
appreciate you making the effort to share with us.

Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 09:42 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yup, I like to share w/discouraged people, cause I used to be there. Had to read alot and experiment, but it all pays off.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: