built me a pressure box Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive » Archive » Gloveboxes & Flowhoods. » built me a pressure box « Previous Next »

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

NixxoN (N1x_X0n)
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 10:11 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So I've been at this since I'd say... April of this year which is when I inoculated my first batch of rye grain jars. Every couple of months or so when I realize that those jars have failed I go and I inoculate even more jars. I'd say I have inoculated upwards of 100 jars of rye grain, done in lots formulas. I've pre-soaked, I've tried different combinations of rye grain and water and I've always pressure cooked for 45 to 60 mins and almost NEVER do they produce anything usable, I've only had 3 jars that produced ANY mycelium at all and they got to be 100% colonization, unfortunately I had no idea what batch they were from, plus I can fit 4 in the pressure cooker at one time so they may have just been flukes so I couldn't replicate what I did with them. Most end up getting really wet looking and when opened smell really sour, almost like something that is rotting. So last Monday I decided "what the hell", I may as well try doing some cakes, can't hurt anything? I couldn't find any BRF so I just bought some brown rice and stuck it in a blender for 5 mins, then dumped in a bowl with vermiculite, mixed, then threw in some quarter pint jars, only wide mouths I have, and one half pint jar I found kicking around with 4 holes in all corners of the lids, wiped the lip and put in a layer of vermiculite. I then proceeded to PC for exactly one hour and then knocked those jars up with about 1cc total per jar. I went and checked on them today, I haven’t been checking the jars just making sure the temperature stays at a constant 85f in my incubation chamber and to my utter amazement, EVERY jar but one shows big spots of colonization, the half pint jar showed the most with the outside of the cake almost being 100% colonized. I then checked the rye grain jars I did the exact same day and they had nothing, in fact some where forming wet spots. So it's time to get rid of my 40 or so closed mouth half pint jars and buy more vermiculite. Cakes are the way I'm going from now on
Took me over 6 months to learn my lesson, but it is finally learned. Start at the beginning where everyone else starts!

Dirty Wop (Anotherdirtywop)
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 01:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KISS!

Visions (Visions)
Posted on Monday, October 28, 2002 - 11:03 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think your are making a big mistake...don't give up yet...

First off you said your grains are too wet looking and then they smelled...You didn't prepare the grains properly and you didn't PC correctly...

Do this and you will be so very happy!

Cut a 3/4" round hole in the lid and fill that hole with Polyfil (Fold and compact the Polyfil and pull through the hole...should be pretty tight...will look like a large ball on each side of the lid) as a filter(without this air filtration you won't get much growth)

Do as I do: Put grains in a large pot and cover completely with water...Bring temp up to 160*-180*...Cover with a lid...Turn off heat...Let soak 24hrs...Rinse very well....Drain well...Fill jars no more than 2/3 with grains...Put lids on with the rubber side down(the way they are meant to be on)...PC for 75min...Take out as soon as the pressure goes to Zero...Tighten lids...Let cool completely...Inocculate...

Next learn how to make a pressure box and do grain to grain transfers...When you do this you will be able to have jars done in 7-10days

Do a search with my name and you will learn everything you will need to know...

NixxoN (N1x_X0n)
Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 02:33 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does it have to be a pressure box? I'm gathering the materials for a glove box right now.
I did the whole poly fill thing before... but I've never soaked for 24 hours.. that just seemed too long to me, but I guess it can't hurt to try. Oh and can you crumble up a peice of cake and put a peice in a rye grain jar, or would that too be contam crazy?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 05:39 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's not a 'mistake', cakes are just more reliable.
it's just a pity that cakes can't be mass produced like bulk grains can,
i daresay no one would bother with any thing but cakes then.
but following directions exactly is a big thing, short cuts and laziness just bring failure.

GenXshroomeR (Shroomer52)
Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 06:19 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've tried the cake tek and i never got any shrooms even though now when i think about it i think it was due to lack of moisture after birth but i'm now trying the rye grain tek and things are going way smoother, even though i've added an airpurifier and upped my sterilization teks a bit. it's only day 10 and 1 jar is pretty much fully colonized.

NixxoN (N1x_X0n)
Posted on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 08:28 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haha quite the opposite for me. But I don't plan on growing off of the cakes, I'm gonna do a casing using crumbled up cakes.

Visions (Visions)
Posted on Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 02:05 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Think of the time and energy you wasted by not soaking 24hrs...LOL

Learn from someone that knows...if you want to save yourself a hell of a lot of time...and money and a lot of Failures then spend $50 and build the pressure box...

Or just keep guessing at what to do...

I guarantee success if you follow my directions on making jars, doing transfers and build my pressure box!!!

I don't have all my links at hand so just do a search with "Visions" as the author and you will find everything you need to know...

NixxoN (N1x_X0n)
Posted on Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 06:25 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I gone dun built me a pressure box! :D
And heres how I did it.

Parts
bin2
$12 (1) Plastic Bin

gloves1
$5 (3 Pairs) Shoulder Length Gloves

filter4
$5 (4) Air Filters

tape3
$1 (1 Roll) Prime Grade "A" Microfiber Enhanced Canadian Duct Tape

fanup2
$Free (2 Stolen from Mac II's) 80MM Fans

Finished Product

construct1

construct2

construct3

construct4

Havn't used it yet but tommorow morning I'm going to do some grain to grain transfers, and whatever else I can think of doing in there.

NixxoN (N1x_X0n)
Posted on Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 06:30 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Couple of pics I missed

const5

const11

Visions (Visions)
Posted on Tuesday, November 05, 2002 - 11:58 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When you get tired of screwing with the gloves...build a pressure box like mine and you will work with your bare hands and be able to put anything into the box(through 3 1/2" arm holes) and take out when you want too...and it is so much easier to clean...

With yours you have to load everything into it first including cleaner...Clean everything in that box including the gloves...it will be a huge pain...Wait until you forget to put something you need into it and after you cleaned it!...WoW!...You'll be pissed!...Ive been there...I built one just like yours...used it once before I decided to do a different design...When I did mine I thought out how a flow hood works then instead of working in front of a flow hood I made it so that the clean air was in the box...Very simple!

You will also have more contam problems with your glove box...

Please don't take offence...I am just trying to help so you don't make the same mistakes I have made...

Without mistakes we never appreciate our successes!

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2002 - 12:02 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

archive material, we're always looking for more glovebox designs, esp. with pics.
thx, nix.

vegaslikes (Vegaslikes)
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2002 - 12:42 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats awesome Nix, good job!

NixxoN (N1x_X0n)
Posted on Wednesday, November 06, 2002 - 11:22 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just a note on that grain to grain transfer I did 4 days ago it seems to have worked good, no contams so far and lots of grains are being colonized. I think I'll be doing more grain to grains in the near future

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 12:39 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah buddy, that's the way to really do this thing in a big way, grain-to-grain like stamets sez.
next, to master straw...for all that grain.

NixxoN (N1x_X0n)
Posted on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 07:01 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hippie, I have 10LBS of a Dung/Staw mix waiting to be used once these all four of these pint jars with rye grain are done colonizing, so I'd say dung is 5-10 days off

Visions (Visions)
Posted on Thursday, November 07, 2002 - 12:59 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Really sorry,,,,,I forgot to say....Very Nice Job!

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: