My first flush Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Fungi Forum / Misc. Noteworthy threads My first flush Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

mighty thatius (Thatius)
Posted on Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 11:18 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hello all, this is my first flush on my first birthed cake. i was so excited! i added water to the double end casing in the morning and when i got back they had trippled their size. nov9_02.jpg

mf (Fishbone)
Posted on Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 11:31 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like a great flush!Hawaiins?

Watch out for brown stripes on the stems, I don't know too much about it but it can mean you're overwatering.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, November 09, 2002 - 11:35 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

real nice.
good photo/shot, too.
brings out the color and detail.
what strain anyway ?

mighty thatius (Thatius)
Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 02:39 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks guys, these are actually pf's. all the other pfs that i saw in the archives either didnt produce as much fruit or they got to be alot bigger before they opened. in this first flush i had no abhorts.it weighed in at 40 grams wet. i didnt bother to dry them.

mark driggs (Djdvnt)
Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 05:59 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nice. me likes. mine are almost that size from my first flush.!

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 04:31 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

about 40 wet [4 dry] for a 1st flush is pretty close to par, some only get 2.

and you should get another couple flushes out of it easily.

Dirty Wop (Anotherdirtywop)
Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 05:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love mushrooms that turn out all stubby like that! Good work man.

those are very unique! Glad you took a pic!
I hate saying this...since this is your first cake and all, but if I were you, I would attempt to clone those, and see if those characteristics come out in the next batch. Hey! What have you got to lose but a matchhead sized chunk of stem?

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 06:09 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmm, tough call, wop. if it were my 1st time i'd be pretty tempted to just eat them all,

but you're right, it'd be wiser to get a tissue sample to grow out.

mf (Fishbone)
Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 08:10 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you think it seems like it would be the conditions it was grown under causing them to be like that since they are all like that with no abhorts? Or can you have a spore print of good lineage?

I always got the impression that spore prints or syringes were all kind of random and that to get consistant fruiting like that you need to clone somehow.

Hey Thatius, could you tell us what kind of lighting,temperature,humidity,fanning,watering you did? Did you invitro pin?

mighty thatius (Thatius)
Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 09:29 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i havent quite read enough info on cloning but im getting there. besides i was so excited i ate them. these and all my other jars have taken a long time to colonize(1 month 2 weeks), some are still colinizing. i think i packed the substrate too tighty.theyve been flipped adn tape removed but still are slow(80 to 85 degrees).light on 24/7 in fruiting chamber(70 to 78 degrees).ultrasonic hum.95%+ . fan 3 to 4 times a day.this one was the slowest colonizer so i got impatient and birthed it at about 90%.and dont forget lots of attention and love.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 10:23 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

besides i was so excited i ate them.

told ya so.
packing down the substrate really slows things down, as you know now.

AfterMidnight (Aftermidnight)
Posted on Sunday, November 10, 2002 - 11:48 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good show man, very cool color..

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 12:15 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

Do you think it seems like it would be the conditions it was grown under causing them to be like that since they are all like that with no abhorts?

looking closely, i think i can spot a few that may well abort, around the base. it'd be pretty amazing to see a pfc that had zero aborts,
i'd clone that beauty for sure if i had one.
looks just like good conditions to me paid off.

The Elf (Fletop)
Posted on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 02:29 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are gorgeous.
Congratulations!

Two quick questtions:
What size jar? Seems rather small, or maybe you just have big hands. Is it a tall 1/2 pint?

Any problems when you birthed @ 90%? Any benefits you perceived? (Not that my friend is getting anxious or anything. And yes I know it is more prone to contams.)

Can't blame you for munching down... I'd do the same. Keep up the good work!

mighty thatius (Thatius)
Posted on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 03:28 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is a regular 1/2 pint jar. i had to chop off some of the uncolonized portion of it. all my jars(20)except a couple have been birthed without being completely colonized. im going out of town soon so i need as much fruit as possible before this time. i have had no problems with contams. a few scares here and there, bruising and water damage, but all turned out fine after dunk, then bleach dunk. i have been reading up alot on cloning and plan to asap.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Monday, November 11, 2002 - 03:04 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

so do you believe that bleach dipping helped you get away with birthing a little prematurely ?

mighty thatius (Thatius)
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 03:31 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

oh yeah im sure the bleach did help, this is my first ever flush so i didnt want to take any chances. i have birthed,dunked,and bleached all 20 of my jars except 5 which i plan to grow invitro. and they have all have been contam free.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 05:00 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

excellent. we'll add this little gem as archive material in our bleach section, need a few more success stories with pix in there.

cowshitblues (Cowshitblues)
Posted on Tuesday, November 12, 2002 - 05:07 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that big one on the top would be a good clone.. not huge but im sure very solid shrooms, a whole cake like that would look awsome...good job..did a few almost colonized cut off and bleached dunked worked good...if ya to minimize your abhorts if you can keep 100% or close and still do air exchange every 2 hours, youll see what Pfc's can do. did a smoke test in one of my friends chambers and it was clearing out almost every 2hours, and pfc's loved it..LOTS O AIR and Lots of Humidity..

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: