Wheat berries- All created equal? Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Substrate: Shroom Food Wheat berries- All created equal? Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

? ? ? (Killdannow)
Posted on Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 04:05 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive been looking for sources of wheat berries so that i can follow in visions footsteps.

Ive seen several different colors and types tho. All I know so far is to get hard winter wheat berries, so that seems like the white hard ones.

All I wanna know is should all these berries, nutritionally be the same?

Dirty Wop (Anotherdirtywop)
Posted on Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 02:06 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not exactly
I'm sure you can find a chart in the archives or a book or something that breaks down all the nutritional content of all substrates. But you'll just look at it and it won't answer you're question.

...whatever grain you use, I don't think you will notice any difference in the long run, besides maybe colonization times. You can use anything for spawn...I think the important part is your bulk substrate, which I'm assuming you are gonna use if you wanna make grain spawn.

Dirty Wop (Anotherdirtywop)
Posted on Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 02:11 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And even if it is nutritionally the same, it will not be the same as rye, and you will have to work out the optimum water content, and sort of make your own tek by experimenting. Unless there is some hard winter wheat tek I don't know about.

I like rye, because it is easy to get right, since so many people do it and report, and it is really cheap. But I just like to take the easy way out, you do whatever dude, and report your results!

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 03:47 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the hard winter wheat will work ok,
so will red, etc.
they might vary slightly in exact composition but they are still good enough for our needs, this ain't rocket science so close is often good enough.

? ? ? (Killdannow)
Posted on Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 06:00 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

visions seems to have it worked out- his take on it is available if you search for the thread entitled "favorite grain teks??"

Visions (Visions)
Posted on Sunday, November 03, 2002 - 01:24 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All grains will work well...

A while back I did some side by side experiments with "Rye","Spelt","Soft Wheat","Hard(red)winter wheat" and "Millet"....HA Liquid Culture injection...All of the jars with the "Hard winter wheat" grew the best...

But this really means nothing...too many variables to count...I went with the H.W.W.Berries because at the time it looked like the HA mycelium like it [email protected] 59cents a lb...that cinched it...

I sill like it and use it...I have no problems with it at all...

But use what you can find...Millet should be at every grocery...personally I would stay away from bird seed...too many different seeds...and bird seed cost much more...Millet at my grocery is only 69cents lb...

Here is the trick with Millet...you don't know but many of the grains are damaged and after you soak them they burst...this is how you separate the good from the bad:

After you soak for 24hr...put the container they are in, into the sink...run water into the container and let the water run over...don't let the grains run over...the water will be cloudy...put your hand in and stir it up and keep doing this until the water is clear...Now to be abe to separate the good from the bad...fill the container with water and remove...put your hand in and wiggle your hand quickly...the grains will suspend...stop and remove your hand quickly...the good whole grains will fall faster than the bad...you will see what I mean...as soon as you see the good fall...tilt the container letting the bad(broken,split etc) grains pour out...do this over and over again...

I drain it well...even though you drain it well the grains will still have alot of water on their surface...so what I do is put the grains on a paper towel to soak it up...then put into the jars...this may seam to some to be over kill but wet grains are the worse...A little dry is better...

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, November 03, 2002 - 05:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we'll use this as archive material on grain substrates, i'm planning on expanding that section as there's much interest in it.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: