Ion's old contest winner Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Fungi Forum / Misc. Noteworthy threads Ion's old contest winner Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Alf (Alf)
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 03:45 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody have a link to Ion's old contest winning drying guideline fer regular and Tryp-enhanced fruits? (if it still exists)
Thanks.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 11:06 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

unfortunately we had to axe it when we ran out of space at our last server

brainbreath (Bregenbreeth)
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 01:22 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the text version
I have the page saved on my hard drive, and can e-mail it to ya' if you want

The Ionic Virtual Laboratory presents...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mycotopia: Contest Forum: The Ionic Virtual Laboratory presents...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subtopic Posts Updated Creator

By ion ewe (Ion) on Thursday, May 09, 2002 - 11:48 pm: Edit

The Answer to Our Favorite Question...from our favorite newbies

What is the best way to dry my mushrooms?

-by ion ewe

So you can grow 'em, right?

wow, that's a big, uh... arm... ahem.

But you just aren't sure how to dry those monsters... Well, this ain't Subway, and we sure as hell ain't gonna eat fresh. So follow me to the land of the happy cracker!YOU WILL FOLLOW 8|

In this little jaunt, we'll learn how to go from this:

bow to the cuteness!
To this:

you know you want it...
Excited? Sure you are...
OK. You're gonna need one of these:
1-800-DENI-VAC
And some of this:
lOOky!

Now clean those mushies up!

Then we pre-dry in open air while waiting for more to show up. Usually only a day or two.
Warning! The following picture ain't pretty!

told ya...
*note* If you are growing "Tryp-enhanced" fruits, do not air dry at any time. Instead, just immediately stash them in multiple, smaller dessicator jars (pints)!

Once you have enough shrooms, you'll want to fill a quart jar about half-way with silica gel. It will eventually look like this:

Wipe any dust or crud off the rim of the jar and stuff a paper towel in to the top, forming a pouch. Like so:

Now toss in some boomers! Don't compress them, but you may bend stems and such for a better fit.

Pull up the edges of the towel and let it fall into the jar. Crumple those edges to form a top on the pouch.

Next, place the jar lid on top with the rubber sealing side down. Then just follow the instructions that come with the sealer...
*§MAGICAL SPARKLEY§*

Vacuum seal the jar.
I'm only human, folks...

Label your jar with the variant, day #, etc.

*note* You can put this jar in the fridge if you have "Tryp-enhanced" fruits; but normally, this isn't necessary.check out the mycotopia archives!

Now we wait...

YOU WILL WAIT 8|

òPlease enjoy our concession stand during this brief intermission! Go listen to Intermission on TOOL's Ænima album... Take a nap. Eat something other than magic mushrooms for a change...ò

ÑYOU LOVE TOOL\

OK! One or two days later (depending on how much pre-drying was done) we have some dry toadstools! Crack the vacuum with a butter knife and check it out!

Now what?! Well, hows abouts we store them in such a way that they will never go bad. Sound good? I thought so...

First, they must be weighed. And, yes, I will include how to do this for those who just don't get it... you know who you are.

OK. Cut a thin sandwich bag down so it weighs an exact amount:

Say, half a gram...

What are you waiting for? Throw the caps in!

Next, you make a small container out of your bagging material as per the manufacturer's instructions. The key is using lots of toilet paper...

Makes a great funnel!

Now, push the trail mix down in the bag so you have enough plastic to fit in the machine. (Trust me, all this stuff is explained when you get the sealer)

Shut the machine and start suckin'!

Beautiful! Now, just label the bag with the variant, flush #, and weight...

And, Voila!

VIVA LA MYCOTOPIA!!

Finally, just toss this puppy in a brown paper bag and into the freezer! No air, Nolight, No heat. Just good, clean, high-potency FUN!

Enjoy!

YOU WILL OBEY 8P

Vote for ion! 8)
By ion ewe (Ion) on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 12:03 am: Edit

Thanks, Nan!

Now people can seriously play with it!

-ion

By Nan (Nanook) on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 12:55 am: Edit

I love it Ion, it's almost exactly the procedure I use

By onediadem (Onediadem) on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 01:49 am: Edit

Very Good Indeed!!

By plinkerdink420 (Plinkerdink420) on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 06:02 am: Edit

love the intermission

By ion ewe (Ion) on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 07:43 am: Edit

Anyone played with the embedded toys, yet? Try to find all the hidden stuff!

Here at The Lab, we make learning fun!

-ion

By Hippie3 (Admin) on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 12:14 pm: Edit

very good.

By Dr. Cubesis III (Newbieshroomer) on Friday, May 10, 2002 - 10:35 pm: Edit

* An instant deafening crash of applause, the audience in on thier feet Roaring! *

To Sweet!!!

By Senbet (Senbet) on Saturday, May 11, 2002 - 01:06 am: Edit

interesting

By ion ewe (Ion) on Saturday, May 11, 2002 - 04:28 am: Edit

Thanks for all the lauding, folks! Now does anyone have any questions about the "tek"? I'd love to hear 'em!

-ion

By Karna (Karna) on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 05:34 am: Edit

an excellent industrial strenght procedure there ion.
BTW this is the best thread idea I have seen yet on Mycotopia. Hippie you really keep those fresh ideas coming. Very nice indeed.

By mr. mista (Mistabud) on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 06:00 am: Edit

I agree....so far....Ion has my vote

By ion ewe (Ion) on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 09:38 am: Edit

I love you guys, and yes, Hip, this is a great idea, but I have this biological imperative to help people... so, any questions?

OK. Here's an answer to an unasked question:

One may use a cheap dessicant (like Calcium Chloride) in the air-drying room. Just put it in a bucket. It will certainly help keep contamination down if you use it in the work space, too!

-ion

By Hippie3 (Admin) on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 06:09 pm: Edit

ok, you asked for it.
why are you using the [toxic] color-indicator type silica gel instead of just ordinary [non-toxic] silica gel ?

By ion ewe (Ion) on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 08:37 pm: Edit

Excellent question! The type of indicating silica gel used here is actually rather harmless. As you can see, the ratio of indicating crystals is very low (blue specks in photo). The reason I suggest the use of the type with cobalt, is so that one may be able to tell when it is full. As the water is absorbed by the silica from the shrooms in these jars, it becomes pink in an even line all around the jar. The pink area grows downward as more water is absorbed. Once there are no blue crystals left, it is time to change the gel, and recharge the old.
It can be dried by microwaving in a pint jar. Just make sure the silica gel is filled to the rim of the microwaveable container. It takes about 3 sessions of 3 minutes each with 1 minute in between each in the microwave to fully dry this amount (pint).
The toxicity of cobalted silica gel is rather low in the first place. One could easily use the non-indicating type if he was worried about it. I would suggest using a mixture of indicating and non-indicating gel as in the above pics. Maybe a 1/10 ratio respectively. This should alleviate any doubts about toxicity... besides, the mushies are not directly touching the gel, and one should never expose them to it or the dust, as they will re-absorb tons of moisture!
Thanks, Hip! Hadn't even remembered that... so I forgot to mention it.

-ion

By plinkerdink420 (Plinkerdink420) on Tuesday, May 14, 2002 - 09:28 pm: Edit

thats a good link up there at the top... thanx

By ion ewe (Ion) on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 05:38 am: Edit

Which one, plink?
A similar link to "lOOky" was posted a while back.
TOOL always rocks...

Everybody try highlighting the post in various places yet? How many of you have called the Deni-Vac people?

-ion

By plinkerdink420 (Plinkerdink420) on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 07:51 am: Edit

i was talkin' about the looky link... apparently i must have missed the previous link to this site... a good one tho.... i like the highlighted extra-curricular activites... i called the dine-vac people tonight!

By samwise eediot (Samwise) on Wednesday, May 15, 2002 - 08:32 am: Edit

Most excellent answer to an excellent question.

By Hellfury (Hellfury) on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 12:13 am: Edit

Most helpful and excellent! I love the commentary when the curser is placed over pics. You have my vote for best thread!

By ion ewe (Ion) on Friday, May 17, 2002 - 12:58 am: Edit

Try highlighting, fury! And, thanks!

-ion

By Ryan Waters (Zerogravity) on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 12:24 am: Edit

I notice your subliminals suggestions are working perfectly, (several people have already demonstrated acceptance & compliance with certain ones). Are you a student of hypnosis?

BTW Awesome entry, very entertaining, witty, and as usual, photo quality and completeness of information are top notch, Way to go! :-)

R.W.

By ion ewe (Ion) on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 02:14 am: Edit

You lika de subliminal stuff, eh?
Yes, I am actually (it can help to know such disciplines in massage therapy), but that is certainly not the way to do it! {lol}

Thanks, Ryan. Hope that whole psychrometer thing is treating you right.

Personally, I thought the photo quality was kinda poor, due to the fact that I needed to use the flash to darken my backgrounds (for security and lack of proper lighting in the room). But thanks, anyway!

-ion

By Ryan Waters (Zerogravity) on Wednesday, May 22, 2002 - 11:20 pm: Edit

On the human subconcious;
I think in this community, those who find exploring the mysteries of the mind a reason to get excited are among the majority. But it is always nice to meet someone else who has chosen to study the art of hypnosis.

On the psychrometer;
My FOAF finds it a very useful tool in getting the microclimate within the terrarium "dialed in" (once he discovered that one of the digital thermometers was consistently .4 deg. high, that is, though it has been effective since then). It is nice when people remember you, thanks.

On that tree-topper doin' the "bare arm dry tek";
If you are as tall as I am, that guy has to be 9" plus, Wow, fun stuff!

Well met.

R.W.

By Serialkiller (Serialkiller) on Thursday, May 23, 2002 - 04:09 pm: Edit

what are tryp- enhanced fruits???

By ion ewe (Ion) on Friday, May 24, 2002 - 04:13 am: Edit

Polly a good 9" fruit all stretched out, Ryan, yes. All those bastrops are kinda spirally like that... an interesting aesthetic trait.

Serial- It means mushies that have been supplemented with Tryptamine HCl by addition to the growing medium. See my various other posts on the subject.

-ion

By ion ewe (Ion) on Sunday, June 02, 2002 - 03:29 am: Edit

I have bumped all the contest entries for those of you whom, like myself, prefer to use the "last day" or "last week" search function.

Choose wisely.
By nuecrew (Nue) on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 07:56 am: Edit

Is it important to dry in -40 degree dewpoint air? Is there a reason we should? Help me learn. Thanks

By systimax (Systimax) on Friday, June 14, 2002 - 09:41 pm: Edit

Were can i get the device that drys and seals. Is this another Walmart deal? Doeas anyone know the name of this?

Thanks

By MaL (Malformed) on Saturday, June 15, 2002 - 01:42 am: Edit

doesnt "dry and seal".
its just a vaccum sealer with jar attachment.
they should have them at walmart.
and as far as what the name of the machine is, it says in the closeup picture, its a 'Deni' vaccum sealer. there number is 1-800-DENI-VAC

By ion ewe (Ion) on Saturday, June 15, 2002 - 05:42 pm: Edit

Nue- The reasons to dry this way are speed and lack of necessity for higher temperatures. At room temps, the speed of dessicant drying is increased. For high-'cin shrooms, this method allows one to effectively dry in cold temperatures at decent speed.

Sys- Highlight the whole page... then read it.

Everyone- Remember to vote!

-ion

By MaL (Malformed) on Saturday, June 15, 2002 - 11:06 pm: Edit

i realy didnt think to highlight the text untill you mentioned it for the 5th time.
shows how closely i actuly read the post ... maybe i should reconsider the vote.
very creative.

By ion ewe (Ion) on Monday, June 17, 2002 - 07:18 pm: Edit

What?! You mean nobody has been paying attention? Aaaaarrgh!

-ion

By Imok Urok2 (Imok) on Monday, June 17, 2002 - 11:42 pm: Edit

Im too poor to pay attention

By plinkerdink420 (Plinkerdink420) on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 01:03 am: Edit

By Malformed (Malformed) on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 03:22 am: Edit

i was paying attention, i just never read the posts AFTER you started the thread.
so i didnt see you telling people to highlight things.
im not going to change my vote. but it was creative and i wish you good luck.
enjoy the myco-bucket thing if you win, looks interesting :P

i wont enter the contest. but i would like to see what those hydro pod things are good for.

By ion ewe (Ion) on Tuesday, June 18, 2002 - 04:32 pm: Edit

I'm not mad, Mal

I spent an awful lot of time on this thing, but I do wish all contestants the best... To be honest, I really don't want or need a hydro-pod... but I do love cacti

Thanks everyone!

-ion

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 01:25 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we'll archive material this time.
hey ion, how did your hydro-pod work out, anyway ?

Alf (Alf)
Posted on Monday, October 21, 2002 - 07:39 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, Thanx Brainie B.
but sheesh, i really wanted to look at the pictures. (especially the one of the Deni-Vac and wut it's doin' an such)
But hey, if you have the pics you can send em' to [email protected] That is, if ya' don't mind, pal. :)

ion ewe (Ion)
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 03:07 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh... could you e-mail me a copy of it, too! My hard drive crashed and all was lost. If it is ok, you or I could even re-post the entire original (minus all the response threads) for archiving. Thanks!

furion at ziplip.com

-ion

ion ewe (Ion)
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 03:12 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh! I haven't even got the chance to use it, yet! There have been many more pressing matters as of late, but I'll let you know!

-ion

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 12:09 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a full copy to archive would be great

Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 01:28 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Ion, Alf..... You've got mail

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 01:57 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not me ?

Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 02:35 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SorryHip, You've got mail

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 02:38 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ion ewe (Ion)
Posted on Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 01:10 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea!! Thank you!

Posted on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 02:51 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, did that work? I mean did the page open as it was, with the pics in place and all? I tried opening it from the .zip I sent out and the pics all showed up as broken links...
oh well, the pics were included.
Ya' gonna repost it?
I would, but I couldn't figure out how to post it from what I have saved, and that's alot of formatting to work on....

Alf (Alf)
Posted on Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 06:57 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks a lot B.B.
Didn't quite open up with pix in place but it's still all good; everything wuz there.

ion ewe (Ion)
Posted on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 05:13 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't figure it out either...

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Sunday, November 03, 2002 - 06:42 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ditto...

any chance of getting you to re-post the corrected version ? we got 2 gig now to store everything so it won't get lost again i promise.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: