Hepa vacuum cartridge and duct fan = ... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Fungi Forum / Misc. Noteworthy threads Hepa vacuum cartridge and duct fan = help? Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

? ? ? (Killdannow)
Posted on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 02:59 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw a post about combining the hepa vacuum cartridge and an inline duct fan from home depot.
well i get it all home and together. so i decide to try a few things to see if its really working. i used smoke to determine the airflow. when i had the fan pushing air therough the hepa it was just backfiring, and nothing was going thru the hepa.
So i switched it to pull thru, and i do get some flow now, although the fan still seems to not be doing the job.

I got the evenair duct fan booster, is this the right one? anyone have any ideas?

Thanks all

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 03:02 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hepa needs quite a bit of air pressure to force air thru, which is what you want.
you just need a more powerful fan.

? ? ? (Killdannow)
Posted on Thursday, October 31, 2002 - 03:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the fan i have is 220 cfm, is this not enough?

or is the water pressure rating, whichi couldnt find for it, that matters here??

There is no way to fix this, I know of no other commonly available fan to me to fix this problem.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, November 01, 2002 - 12:30 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you would think that would be enough,
does it have a nice tight seal between it and the hepa ?

Visions (Visions)
Posted on Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 12:47 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had the same problem at first...Sorry...you didn't read my first posts...
Are you trying to push the air through the filter or draw it through the filter...Sounds like you are trying to push the air through the filter...

To be able to push the air with that fan you will need to fill in the space between the fan blade and the duct...I used 3/4" thick weather stripping....Stuck it between the fan and the duck and doubled it...

Don't worry...It will work...

Hopefully you have figured this out already...I know how it is to get frustrated...

or you could put it on the other end so that it draws the air into the fan...Fan on the inside of the box and the filter on the outside...

? ? ? (Killdannow)
Posted on Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 01:35 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

by using smoke currents to determine airflow, it seems the fan is not strong enough to pull thru- it just swirls air in the tube. so i have reversed it to push thru and also used the weather stripping idea.
this seems to draw decent airflow through the unit.

NOTE: I still wish id just ordered fmrcs dual element ionizer. I want two of these things they sound so good. One for the living space and one for the lab.
I will order one of these but for now this works.

Visions i just did one of your straw pillowcases, i compacted it all at the end, should i have left it fluffy or was compacting it the right thing to do?

Also used three quart jars spawn for three lbs straw and seemed kinda light, but i got my fingers crossed..

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 02:13 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quote:

To be able to push the air with that fan you will need to fill in the space between the fan blade and the duct...I used 3/4" thick weather stripping....Stuck it between the fan and the duck and doubled it...

archive material

Visions (Visions)
Posted on Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 03:21 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Compact is the right thing to do...just like a bed of straw....Faster growth,stays moist longer,contams can't penetrate...

If you can, hang it up or place on a rack so air circulates all around it...

If you remember in a post I made I said I was going to take that used straw bed I had on a bench outside and use it to spawn straw in close baskets....Well I did just that!...Plus I used Qt jars of grain to spawn some baskets...It's been less than 2 weeks and it looks like some of them are getting ready finish colonizing...Strong Mycelia growth is coming through the casing...

If you don't remember: I pasturized straw...Got some Round Close Baskets(1 bushel--$2each,Walmart..Hmmm I think Walmart knows what we want before we do...lol...I think one of us is a buyer for them...lol...,has large holes on sides..drilled lots of small holes in the bottom of the basket)...Layered grain spawn and straw...Packed it down...topped with pasturized manure...Got a 20" box fan and put a filtrete filter on it(home depot $15...Put the straw baskets in a closet(uncovered...a must)Put the fan in the closet...Put a heater in the closet(it's cold here)...Put the fan close to the door...turned it on...turned on the heater...Closed the door all but a 1"crack....The crack lets a little fresh air to be drawn into the closet and filtered...Most of the air in the closet is recirculated several times through the filter...The closet stays warm because the door is mostly closed(even a nice crack between door and the floor would be enough)...I open the door all the way when I go in to mist the casing....Iam not worried about contams!...I just figure it couldn't hurt to filter the air and it is a cheap way to do it...The more air circulating the better...Just like growing outdoors...

The outside layer of straw on the sides won't get covered with mycelium...This helps keep contams away...just like an outside bed...that straw will dry out...Now when it comes time to fruit I will cut the excess straw that is poking out the sides(just make it even...flat)...Then I will mist the sides when it starts to pin...Now since my closet isn't humid...I will mist the mushrooms a couple times a day(that's right...I will mist the mushrooms as they grow so they don't dry out...So the caps won't split)...I won't have a contam problem because I will have lots of air flow...Just like when it rains outside...mushrooms get wet...If I were to try to make the closet really humid then I might get some mold problems...Most likely I will just place a bucket of water in front of the heater to raise the humidity just a little....

Anyway...I know I am long winded...but I like to make it clear so everyone will understand...

This will be the easiest method I know of...I can't wait to show pics when they start to fruit!

Also if you painted these baskets...pushed spanish moss in the holes on the sides to cover the straw...Placed a plant in the middle...It would look like a large planted pot...You could put it anywhere in your room...and nobody would know....Well until they saw mushrooms popping all over it...But you could do it and say it must have been in the potting soil if someone saw it...Just don't have people over for a few days when it starts to fruit...

Working hard to make your life easier!

Visions (Visions)
Posted on Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 04:32 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kill,,,take that red outer filter off...it's not really needed...You will have more air flow...

Visions (Visions)
Posted on Saturday, November 02, 2002 - 04:37 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also read my post on the ion generator...they are nice but they have limitations

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: