Horse poo tek pictorial grow log *COM... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Substrate: Shroom Food Horse poo tek pictorial grow log *COMPLETED* by roadkill Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 11:31 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

re-printed from shroomery.org
[they've got some great stuff buried amid the hundreds of thousands of posts there.]

Quote:

Roadkill
Thanatos

Reged: 12/11/01
Loc: Seattle
horse poo tek pictorial grow log *COMPLETED*
#723303 - 07/04/02 06:17 PM Edit Reply Quote

Its been awhile since I have posted anything.
So I thought I´d do a start to finnish pictorial of the horse poo tek so you could follow along.

First thing you want is dried out horse poo.
If you can only get fresh horse poo....dry it out yourself!
I dry mine out on a tarp like this....if its too wet.

Then you want to load what ever amount your gonna need into a pillow case.
I usually do 4 pans worth at a time.....fits in the large pot real nice....is why.

Hopefully you will have a large pot like this.

I use a divot in the bottom of the pot....you should get one or a towel for the bottom of the pot.....the pillow case might burn on the bottom of the pot.

Tie off the pillow case.....Put it in a big ass pot.
put purified or mineral water in the pot....tap water is fine if you have good quality tap water.
Get a weight to hold the pillow case down....I use a 25 pound weight lifting weight.
get a candy thermometer.....you´ll need one....most grocery stores have it.
turn the stove on and get it up to 160 to 175 degrees.
make sure by checking the candy thermometer.
this is called pasturizing. ....don´t go over 175 degrees.
do this for 30 to 40 minutes.
after you are done.....let it cool down.
then ring the pillow case out into the pot.
after some good ringing out.....throw the pillow case into the sink to drain.
If you wait just a few hours to continue....make sure that the poo is cool...after it is cool.....proceed.
I leave the pillow case in the sink over night now....seems to work better!
Now that the pillow case is done draining...open it up and check it.
It should be moist.....not runny.....hand squeeze it out if you have to.
you can wash your hands later if you don´t like icky stuff....doesn´t bother me.
Get some large alum Bread pans from the store.....they are like 2 for $1.79.
Fill the bread pan with 3" to 4" of the poo.

**note ***** I have switched to using large black plastic pans.....since the Alum pans don´t hold up well....they get holes in them from a chemical reaction. *****

Alum pan with horse poo.

Now get your BRF jars or other substrate.
Take a PF cake and put it in a food processor...and hit the start button a few times.
break the cake or cakes up into little peices....don´t over do it...or you will get putty.

I´m using 2 cakes per casing....spawn ratio can be 10 to1.....but more substrate = faster colonization.

Mini food processor....works great!

Broken up cake in food processor.

make sure you don´t make putty!!!

Dump the broken up cake or cakes into the horse poo.
*** You will get thousands of inoculation points to the poo by using a food processor....cause the substrate will be well broken up and spread out more ***

If you don´t have a food processor.....break the cake up by hand.

but if you break the cakes up by hand...make sure that they are broken up really small.

Then spawn the cake into the poo that is in the bread pan.....mix it up really good.

Mixed up BRF cake in poo!

If you want.....you can spawn with Grain, Birseed....etc.
Doesn´t have to be a BRF cake.

Here is some Rye Grain

I just take a long Ice Tea spoon and sterilize it and spoon the grain out onto the poo
Then you mix it all up really good!!!

Grain mixed into the poo! I used 1 quart per casing.
Cover up the pan with Alum foil after you have mixed in the substrate with the poo.
Take a fork and punch little holes in several places.....like 9 places in the Alum foil though out the top.

Alum foil over pan with holes punched in from a fork.
Your gonna need an incubator.

Stick your casings in the incubator.
.....and you should see growth in a day or 2.
Now you sit back and wait for the horse poo to fully colonize.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 01:08 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and of course once it's fully colonized,
you case it.
archive material.

myco domesticus (Mycophil)
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 07:46 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

great info !!!

Mod Maliki (Maliki)
Posted on Tuesday, May 20, 2003 - 10:44 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its the pics that make the tek so nice... I'm doing the same thing but with some modifications . First I'm using composted hay and cow dung I'm getting it from the huge piles at the local farms its the same material they use to spread out in the corn fields to replenish the nitrogen lost from growing . The stuff simply works awesome.... On my next batch ill do a picture tek.... 3 weeks or so... gotta let my current batch run its course..

jc (Johnley60)
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 09:31 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For this tek is the casing just another lay of horse dung? sorry if this is a dumb question, im still a newbie and i havent done any casing teks yet

jc (Johnley60)
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 09:33 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For this tek is the casing just another layer of horse dung? sorry that this is a stupid question but im still a newbie and i havent done any casings yet

Highflyer (Highflyer)
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 09:38 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are many different casing materials. Look here: Casing Teks. A favorite casing material of mine is 50/50 verm/coir.

Hippie3 (Admin)
Posted on Friday, May 23, 2003 - 10:44 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nope, the casing isn't more dung but rather something more inert, like coir, vermiculite, peat moss.

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: