Reishi And Shiitake Update (temp link... Return To Archives | Search

Please Visit Our New Forums at Mycotopia
Please visit our Sponsors

Mycotopia Web Archive Archive Non Cubie Shrooms Reishi And Shiitake Update (temp link) Previous Next

ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page
Topic Author Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post

Top of pageBottom of pageLink to this message

myco domesticus (Mycophil)
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 10:44 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the reishispawn had been mixed with soaked and drained woodchips , the 2 aquariums containing the substrate were incubated and mycelium grew , but the wrong kind
inkcaps everywhere
the substrate in there is black from spores and the cycle seems to go on forever
they must have been in the woodchips i guess , since i didn't sterilize or pasteurize the chips , just soaked for 24 hours
the shiitakespawn is doing better ,imo ,
birdseed rye spawn
i've used 1/3th of spawn of the total substrate , the grains used are a mix of 50% birdseed and 50% rye , the mycelium is doing a lot better than inside the babyjar on agar ,seemed like it took forever in there ,it likes the mix a lot seemingly , so i guess i go to sawdust oatbran from here
i find the amount of water in the preparation of the substrate very important ,a little less or more can spoil the whole bag
anyway , i'll keep you posted

TFF (Myca_Tst)
Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 10:58 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive actually just boiled my oak pellets and added some wheatbran while boiling. My spawn was popcorn(shiitake), i didnt think that it would work but it did. Took forever to fully cover all the kernals. Ive never grown shiitake mushrooms so this is my first try. HOPE IT WORKS!!! CUBIES are so much easier to grow, for now that is.

Is there any Shiitake growers in the forum besides mycophil?

Posted on Wednesday, April 30, 2003 - 11:07 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i've seen others around here but not too many ,it seems
btw it started with tissue cloning a few goodlooking shiitakes from a supermarket , i started them on dextroseagar and half of them succeeded , the others just didn't grow , some agarplates had what looked like a slight yeast infection on them so i took from the inside of the mycelium for the transfer
from what i've been reading there are different strains around from shiitake , some better adapted to cold and other better for warm places , so it could be necessary to try from different sources to end up with a strain that suits your needs

Arahant (Arahant)
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 01:37 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm thinking of growing Shiitakes, been eyeing some of the spores on the market, I figure it would be good cover for my cubies.

Soliver (Soliver)
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 08:44 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been looking into portabellas, but can't find a print to save my life- all that's out there is freakin' sawdust spawn. I like to work from spores... Has anyone had luck w/ cloning a supermarket mushroom i.e., taking inner tissue sample, macerating in a jar w/ sterile water and glass shards, then innoculating corn, etc?

Curious,

Soliver

Shroomzhilla (Shroomzhilla)
Posted on Thursday, May 01, 2003 - 10:59 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

always contams for me that way sol, but still trying

Posted on Friday, May 02, 2003 - 07:22 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the earlier post was here :
http://archives.mycotopia.net/discus/messages/2/23612.html?
my tissue cloning happened on agar as you can see on the pic
luckily i have an airfiltration (hepa) for doing these critical operations

-P (Myca_Tst)
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 04:20 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A:
A:shiitake_1.jpgshiitake_1.jpg

-P (Myca_Tst)
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 04:22 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out that Shiitake MYC rhizo ;)

Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 09:40 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

cool, looking good , did you try to mix or shake to spread the mycelium or would that retard the growth ?

-P (Myca_Tst)
Posted on Sunday, May 04, 2003 - 10:20 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

after i boiled the oak pellets and added wheat bran while boiling, i put the sawdust in a garbage bag and punched holes in the bottom to drain out the water. Took another bag and laid it out on a table, took the sawdust and spread it across the bag, took my popcorn spawn and dug it out of the jar, then mixed with my clean hands. then i packed it into ziplock bags, and put about 6 small holes on the bottom of the bag. The pic above was 3 days after i packed the bags.

fucgubarn fucgubarnov (Fucgubarn)
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 05:05 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey,
-P (Myca_Tst),myco domesticus
can i purchase some Shiitake spores or tissue from you?

FarmerWop (Croppinsloppy)
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 11:23 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello!
Cool thread....I just started my reishi on an improvised substrate and it is doing GREAT!

I simply went to the site of a ground oak stump and scooped up the wood compost and soil from the area. This was added to boiling water and strained, and then a few tablespoons and wheat bran and a pinch of rye flour was added.

Here it is at only 5 days after innoculation with a wedge....

spawnjar

I plan on taking this spawn back to the original soil and simply burying the soil. I have heard reishi will fruit directly from the soil if enough spawn is used.....

I have a shitake culture I will probably never get around to using (busybusy).....you want it?
You can email me at [email protected] and I can probably set you up.... :)

bye!

-P (Myca_Tst)
Posted on Monday, May 05, 2003 - 12:13 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Fucgubarn),
I ordered my spores from http://www.sporeworks.com/lentinula.html, they are pretty good at getting there orders out fast! I should have some spores from my shiitakes when they start to produce, then I'll be happy do some tradding ;)

Posted on Tuesday, May 06, 2003 - 03:33 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Farmerwop , the idea of growing the shiitakes on the soil looks good ,i'm thinking of trying it in a soil rich of woodmulch ,maybe do a few more transfers first from the grainspawn to woodsubstrate so that only limited quantities of the grain will enter the soil
i know a place where big hardwood trees have been cut and the huge roots are still inside the soil ,the only problem is that in november the place will be destroyed ,should that be enough time to harvest ? The base of the trees is about 4 to 5 feet wide so plenty of space for inoculating imo

Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 03:19 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, the pic above is reishi, I haven't tried shitake yet. Shitake supposedly does best on sawdust and bran, in spawn blocks. Another method is innoculating wooden dowell plugs (fungi.com sells em) and hammering them into hardwood logs. I wouldn't put my patch in a place that will be destroyed in november, shitakes sometimes take years to fruit......

:) c-ya

Posted on Wednesday, May 07, 2003 - 10:43 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was thinking that there isn't too much difference in cultivating reishi and shiitake as they are both primary wooddecomposers , i'm glad for you the myc is looking great , solid white , the last part i had left from a reishi spawnbag , i filled some time ago with the woodchips and myc is growing but i suspect it will be also inkcaps since the myc is too fluffy and not the same intensity of white , i'll see...the more people growing the medicinal shrooms , the sooner more teks will be developed
about the dowels , i do appreciate the work of the vendors but my financial position urges me to economize as much as possible even for small things like dowels , so it's creativity out of necessity

Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 01:11 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

understandable.....:)

If trying the bed technique w/ shitake I reccomend lots of very fresh hardwood chips mixed in with the mulch.

bluecat (Bluecat)
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 09:20 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have been growing shitaki for about 6 mos. now. i'm using cakes in an aquarium.they grow fine on plain pf cakes. i'm trying different mixes with sawdust,woodchips,and brf.so far,the plain bfr/verm. cakes are producing faster than ones with woodchips. too early to draw conclusions.i bought a bag of the birch dowels.i got about 300 for $25. just push a couple in each jar. working great. biggest and tastyest shitakis i ever had.

-P (Myca_Tst)
Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 10:27 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

kool,, i didnt know you could use br cakes,,do you have any pics?

Posted on Thursday, May 08, 2003 - 10:42 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bluecat , on your trials with sawdust/woodchips , did you add other ingredients like oatsflakes/bran ? Basically the brf/verm mix has a casinglayer because of the verm which has a tendency to get ontop ,correct me if i'm wrong plz, so if the shiitakes grow faster on grain then i might as well put a vermcasing in the grainmycobags and get 'em fruiting ?
About the dowels , how long did it take to colonize the cakes compared to grain inoculations ? Do you think the type of substrate determines the taste ?
shroom in the wind

Posted on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 12:49 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thats incredible news!
Got any pics bluecat?
I'm sure many people would love to see...I don't think it's ever been done

bluecat (Bluecat)
Posted on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 11:35 am:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

shitakis are VERY aggressive. the verm layer gets totally taken over .they are also hard to get out of the jar.they expand.the more sawdust or woodchips,the less expansion. i'm leaving for work now. i'll try to post pix tonight.i have about 5 cakes with mushrooms on them now.the cakes was just a start to see what would work good to produce spawn. the dowels work great. i've done 60 cakes,with only one contam.later.

Posted on Friday, May 09, 2003 - 03:35 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

please do!

-P (Myca_Tst)
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 12:05 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am tempted to try bluecats method but i see no pics

bluecat (Bluecat)
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 12:27 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have some good pix,but i can't get them to post. i just getthe box"my picture here".i'll figure it out soon. sorry for my computer illiteracy.

-P (Myca_Tst)
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 10:22 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it took me a while to figure it out aswell..

in the picture description box put the location of the picture ex(A:\PIC.JPG)
, when you post your pic it will show you what it will look like but without the picture, it will say "your pic here" in a box. Go ahead and post your message, it will ask you where the file is and you can browse for it, find the pic and then upload.

Hope this helps

Mod PissyBee (Pissybee)
Posted on Tuesday, May 13, 2003 - 11:19 pm:Edit Post Quote Text Delete Post Print Post Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can only upload .jpeg/.jpg files or .gif files, too, I think, so that may be why you are having problems.
PB

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action: